Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (68 Viewers)

I think Olave/Adams is a much better combo than Olave/Shaheed even if that is the case. Adams will almost certainly be the better option on short to intermediate routes with his route running plus contested catch ability, and if protection is an issue Carr will not always have the luxury of time to wait for Shaheed to get behind the defense.

The Saints did play more 11 personnel against the Falcons, with 28 snaps (39%). We were pass heavy in 11 personnel, passing 86% of the time (80% of the time if you exclude third down). We ran 67% of the time in all other personnel groups.

I don't disagree that Olave/Adams is a much better duo than Olave/Shaheed. But I don't think this OL is going to hold up in 11 personnel. They didn't against Atlanta. I saw a stat that Carr had like 2.3 seconds to throw and a lot of that could because of the increased use of 11. Anyway, while Adams would certainly be an improvement, I think it's a marginal improvement that wouldn't turn this team into a Super Bowl contender. Maybe it helps with the division, but I'm not sure one push for a Division title is worth the future cap implications, draft pick cost, or the fact that it likely leads to having to let AK go.

I also don't know how you pay a 32 year-old Adams who has 3 years left on his deal while refusing to extend Kamara. While it would be nice to have 3 good WRs, Kamara is the ONLY RB we have that is better than just a guy. It's just inconsistent with their current level of cap restraint and a pretty sheetty way to treat Kamara who is still a great RB. Adams is just as likely, if not more likely to decline in the next 3 years as Kamara is.

Let’s trade for Adams and go 11 personnel. Spread out the defense and get the run going.

I'm prolly in the minority but I think with Adams we are a legit super bowl contender.

No team ever wins the super bowl because they dont have any holes. They scheme to minimize the issues. When our Oline gets back to full strength that will make pass rush the only "hole" but DA can scheme pressure with blitzes.

If we trade for Adams we are going to the championship.

12-16m wouldn't be enough for this year. It would need to be down to vet minimum just to get under what the Saints have left in cap space this year.
Raiders restructuring Adams, Saints extending or restructuring Kamara, and restructuring JT Gray or Saunders gets the trade done for this year’s current 2024 cap.

Kamara’s extension or restructure opens up 8M and brings the Saints to around 11M in cap space. Adams’ restructure brings his cap hit down to 14.8M which is what the Saints take on for this year. Restructuring Gray or Saunders opens up the remaining 3M-4M cap space needed to take on Adams’ cap hit.

Absorbing or reworking Adams into future caps for 2025 and beyond is what the Saints may be working on to finalize a trade.

Wouldn't be mad at them for trying bucs stacked as much talent as they could and figured it out during the season. Won enough to get a wildcard spot and eventually won it all.

I would be utterly shocked if the Saints get him. You know that Rodgers is lobbying hard to get him in New York. I think that he will be a Jet by weeks end. Again, shocked if he ends up in NOLA.

I don't think he would make us an immediate SB contender but he could help the team close out games which the Saints have failed to do in the past 2 weeks. He's also a red-zone threat, which is something we're missing. Adding an extra WR of his caliper could be the difference in winning the division. Something for the Saints to consider.

I don't disagree that Olave/Adams is a much better duo than Olave/Shaheed. But I don't think this OL is going to hold up in 11 personnel. They didn't against Atlanta. I saw a stat that Carr had like 2.3 seconds to throw and a lot of that could because of the increased use of 11. Anyway, while Adams would certainly be an improvement, I think it's a marginal improvement that wouldn't turn this team into a Super Bowl contender. Maybe it helps with the division, but I'm not sure one push for a Division title is worth the future cap implications, draft pick cost, or the fact that it likely leads to having to let AK go.

I also don't know how you pay a 32 year-old Adams who has 3 years left on his deal while refusing to extend Kamara. While it would be nice to have 3 good WRs, Kamara is the ONLY RB we have that is better than just a guy. It's just inconsistent with their current level of cap restraint and a pretty sheetty way to treat Kamara who is still a great RB. Adams is just as likely, if not more likely to decline in the next 3 years as Kamara is.
It's interesting to see big differences in pressure numbers across platforms. One says Carr was under pressure on 13 dropbacks, another says four. Yet another says nine. The only one that lets me filter by personnel says four, and he was under pressure pretty similarly in both groupings on early downs (1/15 in 11 personnel, 1/14 in all others). He did get pressure on 2/8 dropbacks in 11 on third down, but more pressure on third is to be expected.

I do agree that the money is an issue, both in paying Adams and how it looks to other key players on the team. However, I think we are closer to a SB today then we will be in the years to come due to all the age issues with our roster and the cap issues that we continue to work through each year. Penix is waiting in the wings in Atlanta if Cousins doesn't end up being good enough, Baker appears to be enough of the real deal, and Carolina will give all of us two easy wins while the rest of us fight it out for the division title.

I don't think he would make us an immediate SB contender but he could help the team close out games which the Saints have failed to do in the past 2 weeks. He's also a red-zone threat, which is something we're missing. Adding an extra WR of his caliper could be the difference in winning the division. Something for the Saints to consider.

I honestly think it immediately makes us the team to beat in the NFC, particularly once McCoy and Davis get healthy.

Just two weeks ago, before all the injuries, many thought we already were….Adams puts us over the top.

We can beat anybody; like Chase Daniel said and I believe it…the team believes it is close; time to swing for the fences if the opportunity presents itself, especially if you’re Dennis Allen, who is at a critical juncture of his coaching regime.

IMG_2008.jpeg

you have to play the hand dealt to you. Accept the blessings bestowed on you. DA went right after Carr when he was released, it made sense, because of their history. Justin Simmons was also a gift, as is Adams. DA doesn't have in-roads with all of the players and coaches from around the league. Luckily the ones he does have happen to be great players and a lot of great coaches. Play the hand DA. Sign Adams. (im not technically on board with this, cap wise, age wise, etc) But sometimes you do what you have to do. 1) We're trying to win this year (TM, Demario, Cam, AK, oh yea CARR!!) These guys need to win this year. He fits perfectly w/ Carr & we require a #2 WR. I guess the Jets make sense too, but the Raiders trading to the AFC? Nah. If not, freaking Atlanta will probably make a play for him. Just freaking do it, and figure it out later.

I honestly think it immediately makes us the team to beat in the NFC, particularly once McCoy and Davis get healthy.

Just two weeks ago, before all the injuries, many thought we already were….Adams puts us over the top.
The 49ers went and got McCaffrey to complete their offense. McCaffrey had plenty of wear on him when the 49ers acquired him and had missed 23 of 49 games in the three seasons before the trade.

Let's imitate the 49ers one more time and get our last key piece, a difference maker at WR to complete the offense. He hasn't missed a game in three years, and led the league in receiving touchdowns the last time Carr was his quarterback.

My pie in the sky trade idea:

Saints extend Kamara to 3/36 making the remaining cap this year $12m

Saints save $6.5m add to existing $4.m gives them $11m in cap space.

Trade a 2025 3th rd and 2026 4th rd plus Paulson Adebo has about $3m remaining and a fa next year plus Isaiah Foskey has about $1.5m remaining and 2 more years.

Saints receive Davante Adams from Raiders who eat $9m of $19m remaining. They have $27.5m in cap space. Adams is FA next year (saints work on a new contract but not part of this deal). Saints also receive Andrus Peat (only started 1 game and a total of 31 snaps) and has $1.5m in cap hit remaining. He is also a FA.

Saints spend $11.5m and have $15m (existing $4m, plus $6.5 saved in Kamara extension plus $3m in Adebo and $1.5m in Foskey)

Why this is fair for Raiders? Adams doesn't want to be there. Adebo would be their 1st or 2nd best CB. Everyone knows Saints have talented DL/LB that they can't develop and do well elsewhere so why not take a shot at Foskey who has several more years left on deal which is cheap. Plus they get a 3rd round pick in 2025 and 4th in 2026.
Would not give up a 3rd and Adebo for a 32 year old WR as effectively a one year rental.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom