Saints at the top of Davante Adams’ wish list [“Saints might just be the favorite” per Fowler; Saints not agreeing on draft pick comp yet] (70 Viewers)

It's interesting to see big differences in pressure numbers across platforms. One says Carr was under pressure on 13 dropbacks, another says four. Yet another says nine. The only one that lets me filter by personnel says four, and he was under pressure pretty similarly in both groupings on early downs (1/15 in 11 personnel, 1/14 in all others). He did get pressure on 2/8 dropbacks in 11 on third down, but more pressure on third is to be expected.

I do agree that the money is an issue, both in paying Adams and how it looks to other key players on the team. However, I think we are closer to a SB today then we will be in the years to come due to all the age issues with our roster and the cap issues that we continue to work through each year. Penix is waiting in the wings in Atlanta if Cousins doesn't end up being good enough, Baker appears to be enough of the real deal, and Carolina will give all of us two easy wins while the rest of us fight it out for the division title.

I guess I just feel like the window passed especially with Cam appearing to be done and Deamrio showing he is human. I think we are at a point where the foundation has to be Fuaga, Olave, Shaheed, Taylor, Kool-Aid and Breese. I think the reality is that they are already in rebuild mode while trying to stay competitive. I think you can stay competitive while you build around those guys but if you extend the cap space for a guy like Adams for a one or two year shot it's inconsistent with staying competitive during a rebuild.

But, I guess if you really think we have a shot a the Super Bowl with this team plus Adams, I can see why you would want to make the move. I just don't think you can be a Super Bowl contender with our current OL and pass rush. DA and Kubiak can maybe scheme around those things to win the Division or get in the playoffs, but I don't see it going any further than that.

Last edited:
Adebo is gone as soon as possible. Even Underhill believes the Saints aren't paying him a long term investment. He's a very boom and bust player, he'll make some amazing plays but then cost you games with PI's in crunch time. Cousins throwing at Adebo in that situation was a choice, every body knows he draws PI's.

The 49ers went and got McCaffrey to complete their offense. McCaffrey had plenty of wear on him when the 49ers acquired him and had missed 23 of 49 games in the three seasons before the trade.

Let's imitate the 49ers one more time and get our last key piece, a difference maker at WR to complete the offense. He hasn't missed a game in three years, and led the league in receiving touchdowns the last time Carr was his quarterback.

But SF already had a solid OL, a good pass rush, and solid depth when they did that. I don't think we have any of those things so I don't think Adams is the last piece. Frankly, we are one injury to AK away from not having a running game and SF did have solid RBs before they got McCaffrey. In fact, outside of LB and CB, we are one injury away from being bad at most positions.

If they do the deal for Adams I hope I'm wrong and he is the final piece, but I just don't see this team like that. I just think with the way the roster is currently structured, everything would have to go perfectly right to even win a playoff game and things have already started to go wrong with injuries and stupid mistakes by Shaheed and the defense.

But, again, if they can get Adams for relatively little draft pick compensation and they can cut the hell out of his cap hit then sure do it.

I guess I just feel like the window passed especially with Cam appearing to be done and Deamrio showing he is human. I think we are at a point where the foundation has to be Fuaga, Olave, Shaheed, Taylor, Kool-Aid and Breese. I think the reality is that they are already in rebuild mode why trying to stay competitive. I think you can stay competitive while you build around those guys but if you extend the cap space for a guy like Adams for a one or two year shot it's inconsistent with staying competitive during a rebuild.

But, I guess if you really think we have a shot a the Super Bowl with this team plus Adams, I can see why you would want to make the move. I just don't think you can be a Super Bowl contender with our current OL and pass rush. DA and Kubiak can maybe scheme around those things to win the Division or get in the playoffs, but I don't see it going any further than that.
what killed us? the Eagles stacking the line and manhandling our rushing game. Would you stack the box with Adams/Olave and Shaheed on the field. Thats a chunk play waiting to happen.

We’ve been able to run the ball. Kamara is top 5 in rushing yards, 1st in YFS. The pocket has been pretty clean for the most part. Protection has been fine.

We need another weapon at WR really bad.

These are the Saints rushing results the last 4 games. (att/yrds/TDs)

Against the Panthers: 37-180-2
Against the Cowboys:39-190-4
Against the Eagles: 29-89-0.
Against the Falcons: 15-88-0

There's a substantial drop off since McCoy and Taysom got injured. And for a team that runs more than it passes (prior to the Falcons game Carr had not had more than 25 attempts: 23, 19, 25 respectively) that's not good.

Saints didn't need anyone else at WR the first 2 weeks. What the Saints had back then, good QB protection from the interior of the line, which was practically inexistent the last 2 games.

Just to address some of the posts here.... I don't think any reasonable fan would say that WR is a bigger need at the moment than say... OLine/TE/Pass Rusher/S....

I don't think there is an argument that there is...

The issue with that line of reasoning is.... There are no players currently available as FAs or in the Trade market at those positions that make the Saints significantly better right now and down the stretch....

There is seemingly, however, a top 5 WR that's available for trade.... and the Saints do need another offensive weapon... right now maybe not as big of a need, but it's still a need.

That's where this discussion starts and ends... the real question is... can the Saints make a trade work... because everything else seems to fit.

**I mean, the Saints tried to trade for Simmons this year and missed... was Safety a bigger need than Oline...? No... It was an opportunity to get a really good player and they went for it**

Last edited:
One thing is for sure, if this team wants to win the South we won’t do it without adding another weapon. Our TE’s have been useless. So, either coach has to get one of these other players to step up or we need another offensive weapon.

If we don’t add another offensive weapon that will help open up the offense more in games where the defense has our number, we have little chance to win the south.

Offensive weapon wasn't a problem the first 2 games. What changed?

These are the Saints rushing results the last 4 games. (att/yrds/TDs)

Against the Panthers: 37-180-2
Against the Cowboys:39-190-4
Against the Eagles: 29-89-0.
Against the Falcons: 15-88-0

There's a substantial drop off since McCoy and Taysom got injured. And for a team that runs more than it passes (prior to the Falcons game Carr had not had more than 25 attempts: 23, 19, 25 respectively) that's not good.

Saints didn't need anyone else at WR the first 2 weeks. What the Saints had back then, good QB protection from the interior of the line, which was practically inexistent the last 2 games.

What’s wrong with an embarrassment of riches though? Maybe we go from great to super/unstoppable no matter who we play?

Just to address some of the posts here.... I don't think any reasonable fan would say that WR is a bigger need at the moment than say... OLine/TE/Pass Rusher....

I don't think there is an argument that there is...

The issue with that line of reasoning is.... There are no players currently available as FAs or in the Trade market at those positions that make the Saints significantly better right now and down the stretch....

There is seemingly, however, a top 5 WR that's available for trade.... and the Saints do need another offensive weapon... right now maybe not as big of a need, but it's still a need.

That's where this discussion starts and ends... the real question is... can the Saints make a trade work... because everything else seems to fit.

The first 2 games, the Saints didn't need another offensive weapon. What changed?

Would not give up a 3rd and Adebo for a 32 year old WR as effectively a one year rental.
That's fair but Adebo is in the final year of his deal and it's doubtful the Saints re-sign him with Alonte Taylor and Kool-Aid under contract as well as Latt. Plus the Saints really like Payton too. Trading Adebo is more of a value for value trade and why do it? Well, we need the Raiders to eat a large chunk of Adams' salary and the talking heads say they want a 2nd round pick.

what killed us? the Eagles stacking the line and manhandling our rushing game. Would you stack the box with Adams/Olave and Shaheed on the field. Thats a chunk play waiting to happen.

If Carr has no time to throw and has Carter under his chin strap 2 seconds after taking the snap, which is what happened when we tried to throw against Philly, then it doesn't matter who you have at WR.

And frankly, it it were as easy as just put 3 good WRs out there and you win, then everyone would do that. But, it takes more than that to win. And it's not like we don't have a guy in Shaheed with blazing speed that can get open for chunk plays.

Adams helps, but I don't see how he's really going to make a huge difference for this team.

The first 2 games, the Saints didn't need another offensive weapon. What changed?

Debatable... I thought they did.

But if that's not good enough... Everything schematically changed.... when McCoy went down.... TH7 got hurt.... and Olave started playing on 1 hammy.

But again... that's besides the point. There aren't players at other need positions available... A top 5 WR is.... Just like a top 5 Safety was available when we went after Simmons... we had other more important needs then, and we have other more important needs now... there are not options there now that make the team better.... a top 5 WR makes the team better now... why not go after that if you think it's do-able?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom