Saints claim All-Pro KR/RB Kene Nwangwu (Update: Nwangwu was waived-failed physical) (2 Viewers)

Bold prediction: Saints “occasionally” make him a slot receiver, and that would force opposing defenses into DEEPER coverage. The threat of that much speed (Olave, Shaheed, and Nwangwu) would be frightening!

Domino effect achieved; opens a lot in the run game, as well as short to intermediate routes by others.

So unfair. :ezbill:

Kubiak then morphs into a mad scientist! 👨‍🔬

:gosaints:

Last edited:
He looked good as running back in the preseason as well. It looked like the Vikings were trying to sneak him into the practice squad when they didn't play him in the 3rd preseason game.

Bold prediction: Saints “occasionally” make him a slot receiver, and that would force opposing defenses into DEEPER coverage. The threat of that much speed (Olave, Shaheed, and Nwangwu) would be frightening!

Domino effect achieved; opens a lot in the run game, as well as short to intermediate routes by others.

Kubiak then morphs into a mad scientist! 👨‍🔬 :ezbill:

Why not just put Tipton, Olave, or Shaheed in the Slot for that purpose since they are actual WRs and run good to great routes? And are probably faster than this guy.

The guy is a great kick returner, but he's never showed a whole lot as far as being a RB or receiver. Though he did average like 8 YPC on 12 carries in this preseason.

I think Prentice. Then sign him to the PS and elevate him on gamedays.

Good call. I'm not sure how they can justify a 53 spot for Prentice all season when Taysom is playing a good bit of FB. Even Jamaal Williams can fill in a FB. And, it's not like Prentice is an amazing lead blocker. He's solid, but nothing spectacular.

I like this signing, more speed at RB in Kubiak's system is only a good thing.

Plus this guy is a legit return threat!

He's not good in pass protection tho, so he cant be an every down back.

On Vikings reddit, folks were surprised to see him cut -- but they also noted he's very raw, struggles with fundamentals like pass pro

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
He looked good as running back in the preseason as well. It looked like the Vikings were trying to sneak him into the practice squad when they didn't play him in the 3rd preseason game.
For his career, Nwangwu has averaged 27.6 yards on his 68 kick returns. As a running back, Nwangwu only has 88 career rushing yards on 27 carries.

I think this is a Rizzi pick and not a KK.

Read post #24 on this thread.

Note his size and speed! 🤔

I know his size and speed. I also know that he's a RB and not a WR . A RB that struggles with pass protection which means he hasn't likely got a lot of snaps on passing downs. And that his stats don't show much production as a receiver or as a runner. He's a guy they brought in to return kicks and that they hope can develop more as a RB. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think you might be getting a little bit ahead of yourself on this guy.

This guy isn't just fast, he has good size at 6'1", 210 pounds to go with that 4.37 forty speed. He not only gives the Saints another return man, he was a good RB at Iowa St. He's entering his 4th year in the league. He hasn't been used much as a RB so far, so his stats as a Pro RB are limited. It will be interesting how he's used by the Saints in the Kubiak offense.

Pro Stats from pro-football-reference.com:

College Stats from sports-reference.com

Rushing & Receiving​

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom