Saints claim All-Pro KR/RB Kene Nwangwu (Update: Nwangwu was waived-failed physical) (2 Viewers)

Great point brought up here. We have already seen how this scheme works wonders for remotely competent RBs. Just seeing what it has done for even Jamaal Williams speaks volumes.

We are indeed scheming guys into good runs.

True and this guy might develop. But his stats in college and the NFL seem to indicate he has a ways to go to develop into a competent NFL RB.

True, but I'm not sure that blazing fast speed, even if you don't have great vision or tackle breaking ability, isn't a major asset even with the new rules. The other team can't move until you catch it so the ability to get up to speed quickly and have a high top end speed might get you an angle on the defenders and make it hard to catch you. Also, if you get past that first line then the speed will certainly help. I can see him being used on things like reverses where he can use his speed to make the corner once the other team is committed to the side of the field where the initial returner is.

Nobody really knows how the new rule is going to work out in the long run, but I'm betting on Rizzi to have a better idea about it than Vikings fans.

Yeah, I agree with that last part.

True, but I'm not sure that blazing fast speed, even if you don't have great vision or tackle breaking ability, isn't a major asset even with the new rules. The other team can't move until you catch it so the ability to get up to speed quickly and have a high top end speed might get you an angle on the defenders and make it hard to catch you. Also, if you get past that first line then the speed will certainly help. I can see him being used on things like reverses where he can use his speed to make the corner once the other team is committed to the side of the field where the initial returner is.

Nobody really knows how the new rule is going to work out in the long run, but I'm betting on Rizzi to have a better idea about it than Vikings fans.

Rizzi was one of the masterminds for the new kickoff rules. If Vikings fans were smart they would be going "Hey wait a second that guy created the new kickoff rules and he just signed a guy we got rid of? We made a mistake..."

I’m really looking forward to seeing what gets cooked up come regular season on these kickoffs. I think we are going to see some wild creativity from some teams, almost mimicking offensive play calls in some ways.

One thing I’ve envisioned is some type of “option game” type play involving Taysom and a fast player like Shaheed, Tipton, and/or now perhaps this guy.

Isolate a defender or two, and force them to make a decision. Do it with a player you trust, and who would be more perfect than a part-time QB like Taysom to pull it off?

I vote Kendal Vickers. No need for waivers. Gameday activation from PS as needed.
Any chance Jaylan Ford needs to go on IR?
He missed part of the summer recovering from a knee, and has missed the last 2 preseason games with a hamstring.

We are currently carrying six LB.

I’m excited about this in spite of the negatives written. Always been a big fan of his speed.

Overview​

Height, weight and speed all work in his favor, but when the ball is in his hands, there just isn't much about his running style that feels natural. Nwangwu has open-field speed to hit a crease and go, but he's often indecisive with the ball in his hands as he lacks a runner's instincts and fails to anticipate run-lane development. His kick-return talent helps his cause and there are elements of his game that a team may like, but there are just too many underdeveloped aspects to expect him to make a team.

Last edited:
For his career, Nwangwu has averaged 27.6 yards on his 68 kick returns. As a running back, Nwangwu only has 88 career rushing yards on 27 carries.

I think this is a Rizzi pick and not a KK.
I just heard DA say that Nwangwu played with Klint in Minnesota. But DA re confirmed that he’s a 4 core player, (Kr/Pr). So maybe Klint uses him like an Adebo type. Not as a pure RB, but a gadget Rb type. Just getting that speed in space would end up well,

Bold prediction: Saints “occasionally” make him a slot receiver, and that would force opposing defenses into DEEPER coverage. The threat of that much speed (Olave, Shaheed, and Nwangwu) would be frightening!

Domino effect achieved; opens a lot in the run game, as well as short to intermediate routes by others.

So unfair. :ezbill:

Kubiak then morphs into a mad scientist! 👨‍🔬

:gosaints:
KK will find a way to use that 4.3 speed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom