Saints claim All-Pro KR/RB Kene Nwangwu (Update: Nwangwu was waived-failed physical) (5 Viewers)

This guy isn't just fast, he has good size at 6'1", 210 pounds to go with that 4.37 forty speed. He not only gives the Saints another return man, he was a good RB at Iowa St. He's entering his 4th year in the league. He hasn't been used much as a RB so far, so his stats as a Pro RB are limited. It will be interesting how he's used by the Saints in the Kubiak offense.

Pro Stats from pro-football-reference.com:

College Stats from sports-reference.com

Rushing & Receiving​

Interesting that he got so few attempts as a RB even in college. I think he's a project as a RB but he's already a very good return man which is what I think he was brought here to do. Takes some of the pressure off of Shaheed to be both the return man and WR, though they may use both on kickoffs.

I know his size and speed. I also know that he's a RB and not a WR . A RB that struggles with pass protection which means he hasn't likely got a lot of snaps on passing downs. And that his stats don't show much production as a receiver or as a runner. He's a guy they brought in to return kicks and that they hope can develop more as a RB. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think you might be getting a little bit ahead of yourself on this guy.
Good points.

Then again, Taysom doesn’t fit the prototypical mold of QB, gunner, FB, RB, yet… look at what experimentation yielded! :scratch:

We’ll see.

:gosaints:

He may just not be a good RB. You can have the measurables and not the vision. There's about 7 years of data on him going back to college and he is very low usage at RB.

This adds some more significant speed to the offensive meeting room. We really needed a speed guy at RB, and we found one. Don’t be surprised to see him have a significant role in the offense in short order.

From the Reddit thread I posted earlier -- maybe this is a sour grapes perspective, but some Vikes fans actually theorized that Kene is a bad fit for the new kickoff rule, because he relies on gaping wide holes and his flat line speed -- supposedly he has poor vision and tackle-breaking abilities --

New kickoff rule made Kene less valuable. Kene is amazing in the open field in free-flowing situations when he could just hit his top speed, and struggled in condensed situations where he instead needed to break tackles and/or wait for other people to block for him (hence why he never quite took off in standard drop-back roles). The new kickoff has things far more condensed and static than it used to be, where the kickoff is most similar to a wide zone run play that has him waiting for numerous blocks rather than just finding one seam at his top speed. Doesn't suit his skill set as much, unfortunately.

This adds some more significant speed to the offensive meeting room. We really needed a speed guy at RB, and we found one. Don’t be surprised to see him have a significant role in the offense in short order.

A key element in this blocking scheme is creating "one cut and up" runs. Makes it a lot easier for RBs to be decisive and with Nwangwu's speed, if he gets to the second level its 40+ yards if not a TD.

From the Reddit thread I posted earlier -- maybe this is a sour grapes perspective, but some Vikes fans actually theorized that Kene is a bad fit for the new kickoff rule, because he relies on gaping wide holes and his flat line speed -- supposedly he has poor vision and tackle-breaking abilities --
Those observations are consistent with some of the draft profiles I read about him.

A key element in this blocking scheme is creating "one cut and up" runs. Makes it a lot easier for RBs to be decisive and with Nwangwu's speed, if he gets to the second level its 40+ yards if not a TD.

Great point brought up here. We have already seen how this scheme works wonders for remotely competent RBs. Just seeing what it has done for even Jamaal Williams speaks volumes.

We are indeed scheming guys into good runs.

Those observations are consistent with some of the draft profiles I read about him.

True, but I'm not sure that blazing fast speed, even if you don't have great vision or tackle breaking ability, isn't a major asset even with the new rules. The other team can't move until you catch it so the ability to get up to speed quickly and have a high top end speed might get you an angle on the defenders and make it hard to catch you. Also, if you get past that first line then the speed will certainly help. I can see him being used on things like reverses where he can use his speed to make the corner once the other team is committed to the side of the field where the initial returner is.

Nobody really knows how the new rule is going to work out in the long run, but I'm betting on Rizzi to have a better idea about it than Vikings fans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom