Saints claim All-Pro KR/RB Kene Nwangwu (Update: Nwangwu was waived-failed physical) (1 Viewer)

This is low key hilarious. I’m assuming we did this to try and get him on PS? At what point would he just go to Vikings PS, that’s why they waived him to begin with to try and sneak him on there.

Lots of guys run 4.3. But he has yet to demonstrate that he can run routes or catch the ball. Or for that matter that he can be an effective runner in the NFL. There is a reason the guy was primarily a special teams player in college and for the last 3 years in the NFL.

He did have a good preseason as a runner this year so there may be some upside to him as a RB, but there is no indication that he is particularly good in the passing game.

Also, Shaheed looked good on the Jet Sweep last year so I think there are a lot of YAC yards that he will get in the new system that is designed to create YAC. Same for Olave. And, if I'm using a RB in the Slot to get YAC, it's going to be Kamara who has the ability to be the best Slot WR on the team. Except he a really good RB.
I Posted his 40 time because you said Shaheed and Olave were probably faster than him. It does not make a difference though cause he failed the phy

What seems to have gotten lost in all of this due to the failed physical is:

1. The Saints had enough interest in Nwangwu to claim him off of waivers which would have required them placing him on the 53-man roster.
2. This move would have required the Saints to make another roster move, either cutting, trading, or placing another player on IR.
3. We don't know what the nature of ailment that resulted in the failed physical, but the Saints obviously know.
4. Nwangwu is now an unrestricted free agent, free to sign wherever he chooses, once he is healthy enough to pass a physical.
5. Just because the player failed his physical which nixed the deal, that doesn't mean the Saints lost all interest in the player. He could still be on the Saints radar.

He may just not be a good RB. You can have the measurables and not the vision. There's about 7 years of data on him going back to college and he is very low usage at RB.

As mentioned above, I'm still not sure how they release the guy if he was injured. They should have had to negotiate a medical settlement with him before they released him. Unless he got hurt after he was released which seems unlikely.
Maybe he was not reporting his injury to Minn? Weird regardless

Maybe he was not reporting his injury to Minn? Weird regardless
He has nothing to gain by hiding an injury, especially since he wasn’t a clear starter on the team. One possibility is he claimed an injury but was still able to pass a physical in Minnesota (at which point they could release him). We seem to have one of the more thorough physical exams in the league based on some of the things the team has identified during the process.

He has nothing to gain by hiding an injury, especially since he wasn’t a clear starter on the team. One possibility is he claimed an injury but was still able to pass a physical in Minnesota (at which point they could release him). We seem to have one of the more thorough physical exams in the league based on some of the things the team has identified during the process.
that makes sense too. Bottom line it doesn't seem like MINN knew because wouldn't MINN want to IR a probowl returner instead of waiving him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom