Saints claim All-Pro KR/RB Kene Nwangwu (Update: Nwangwu was waived-failed physical) (3 Viewers)

If he's not capable of playing, could the Vikings even release him without an injury designation? If he was hurt during practice or a game, they would be obligated to treat him until he can pass a physical. The exception would be if he injured himself away from the team.

Tripped over the humidity leaving the airport.

Well you knew there was a reason the Viks let him go…..

As mentioned above, I'm still not sure how they release the guy if he was injured. They should have had to negotiate a medical settlement with him before they released him. Unless he got hurt after he was released which seems unlikely.

As mentioned above, I'm still not sure how they release the guy if he was injured. They should have had to negotiate a medical settlement with him before they released him. Unless he got hurt after he was released which seems unlikely.
Going into the wayback machine here ... Drew Brees failed his physical with Miami in 2006 before the Saints signed him.

1) Did San Diego release Brees with an injury designation?
2) Brees presumably passed the Saints' physical. Teams obviously have different standards, correct?

I ask the second question because is it possible that Nwangwu wasn't really considered injured by the Vikings? Or maybe: any chance Nwangwu was successfully hiding an injury from the Vikings, but the Saints caught it?

Going into the wayback machine here ... Drew Brees failed his physical with Miami in 2006 before the Saints signed him.

2) Brees presumably passed the Saints' physical. Teams obviously have different standards, correct?

I ask the second question because is it possible that Nwangwu wasn't really considered injured by the Vikings? Or maybe: any chance Nwangwu was successfully hiding an injury from the Vikings, but the Saints caught it?
Brees was a free agent.

Brees had fulfilled his contract, he was a free agent.

Brees had not signed a contract with Miami. He was a free agent and they didn't trust that he was going to fully come back from offseason surgery.

And San Diego didn't have to release him because his contract expired and he became a free agent once the NFL year ended.

I do think there is some ambiguity regarding what counts as an "injury" under the NFL rules and that explains how they could have released him without an injury settlement. Sill you have to wonder how bad it had to be for the Saints to say he failed the physical instead of putting him on the team a rehabbing a guy they were counting on to be a key special teams contributor.

And the DA legacy continues.

What does this have to do with DA? A guy who is a pro-bowl kick returner got release with no information that he was injured. So they claimed him. Turns out he can't pass a physical. Not sure how that says something bad about DA.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom