Saints D-Line is terrible (20 Viewers)

B4YOU

All-Pro
Reaction score
03CD1BE0-C91B-4D59-A3FB-3AD3A93376C7.jpeg

The worst part is most starters are at the bottom of the list. Jordan, Young, Bresee, and Shepherd are eating significant snaps and just pooping the bed. How is Ridgeway the 2nd best DL added for a 7th on Aug 28th and has the lowest snap % of all active IDL (exclude Vikers and Boyd)?

If we are going to stink at the front 4, then at least play the young guys.

All training camp all we heard was how dominant and disruptive the D-Line was

When he returned to practice we were told Chase Young was unblockable and Breese looked like he could be a top 10 DT

Cam was hurt last year and while he wasn't going to be what he was at his peak he was supposed to be miles better than last season

What happened?

Last edited:
Bresee is currently a one dimensional pass rushing IDL in his development, yet he's regularly seeing snaps on running downs. Bresee can obviously play, the glaring concern is the lack of development.

This entire defensive line is currently built on one dimensional players who aren't being developed, a guy who should be retired, and mid-tier backups at best.

I said this DL had serious concerns but the beatwriters were all selling koolaid about how these guys were clowning on wait for it a rookie LT and Penning.

It's ugly.

Just a total lack of talent across the board. And the guys with talent are either over the hill (Cam) or just lazy (Chase Young). What is the deal with Bresee though. I feel like he really flashes, provides a nice pass rush...but gets horrible grades? Is he terrible in run support?

Just a total lack of talent across the board. And the guys with talent are either over the hill (Cam) or just lazy (Chase Young). What is the deal with Bresee though. I feel like he really flashes, provides a nice pass rush...but gets horrible grades? Is he terrible in run support?

He's terrible against the run and hasn't developed there at all. He's a second year IDL and that position is notorious for being slow to develop, however he is far behind what I'd have expected his growth to be. Like the rest of the defense, he's been regressing.

Bresee has talent. A lot of talent. The kind of guy who winds up on another team and turns into a serious baller and makes us all go "how did they miss that?"

Yep. That's why I'm saying we need to make an effort to draft DE/DT in the first two rounds this year. Unless we are picking so high we can get a franchise QB.

All training camp all we heard was how dominant and disruptive the D-Line was

When he returned to practice we were told Chase Young was unblockable and Breese looked like he could be a top 10 DT

Cam was hurt last year and while he wasn't going to be what he was at his peak he was supposed to be miles better than last season

What happened?

They put pads on and played full games.

IMHO Bresee should be a DE in somewhat of a JJ Watt Role, meanwhile Granderson is doing that despite taking more snaps at LDE, while accommodating Young at RDE.

Part of me wants to think Grantham doesn’t have the guys to do what he wants, but he’s the one who brought in this philosophy a year ago, that had us asking guys to lose weight on the DL.

He’s not developing the DL talent in a way that Nielsen did.

We don’t stack and shed anyone. Not at DL or at LB but especially at DL. I feel bad for our LBs in how often we ask them to take on a G or C 1 on 1 in the running game.

Which is fine if you’re going to be a penetrating line, but the DL isn’t disruptive in the least bit on run downs. They get stood up and attached to single blocks, while another opposing OL freely climbs and puts his 300lb body all over my 235 lb Linebacker.

It’s cray cray

Last edited:
Bresee is currently a one dimensional pass rushing IDL in his development, yet he's regularly seeing snaps on running downs. Bresee can obviously play, the glaring concern is the lack of development.

This entire defensive line is currently built on one dimensional players who aren't being developed, a guy who should be retired, and mid-tier backups at best.

I said this DL had serious concerns but the beatwriters were all selling koolaid about how these guys were clowning on wait for it a rookie LT and Penning.

It's ugly.

I mean, they don't hit much in camp and you can't really tell anything about a DL until they hit for real. In addition, they were taking a lot of snaps against our backup OL and Penning before he started to get it so they were going to look much better than they are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom