Saints D-Line is terrible (22 Viewers)

And Cam's contract keeps us from signing any veteran players. When we do it's usually some cast off.

I think Rouxble pointed out yesterday that Cam has no guaranteed money for next year so they can cut him if they want to or he can retire and it won't hurt the cap.

Cam's pro-rated signing bonus goes all the way to 2028.

Yeah I should have been more clear, I think the deal is that a cut/retirement next year after June 1 saves money on the cap next year but is about a $15 million cap hit in 2026. No doubt a contract that should not have been done, but at this point they really just need to get out of it and it would help the cap next year.

But Rouxble would know better than me exactly how it works.

I agree with you that the scheme is also bad, but fundamentally they're also bad. They can't get off blocks. They can't get push. The foundation is broken which just makes the schematic issues worse.

I don't like what they're doing with the defense at all this season. Grantham gives me serious Bill Johnson vibes which I find funny since the last time Grantham had a good showing with an NFL defense was 2009. A lot has changed in the NFL since then and I feel like he hasn't evolved with the times.
To my understanding both Bill Johnson and Grantham are fiery guys, they also need that type of player somewhere on the line. When you look at the personalities we have there, would you consider any of them fiery? To your point, I agree the talent is weaker on the DL compared to what it was in our better years like 2018-2020 and yet I think the way were asking guys to play isn't complimentary of who they are.

Either get a new philosophy or get players that fit the philosophy instead of asking guys who fit the previous way of doing things to lose weight so that they can perform duties in new scheme.

Cam's pro-rated signing bonus goes all the way to 2028.
So only 6 years after he was productive. You are a genius Loomis. We will see how long we will be paying Kamara. We are paying chase Young 2 years after this unproductive year

Cam Yes....Demario I think can still play, the problem is he's having to deal w/ too many large bodies. I always use Ray Lewis as a reference point because I listened to a documentary. At the time they were concerned about how much mileage was being added to Lewis when he had to take on OL. So they started drafting bigger bodies to put in front of him. They added Haloti Ngata to replace Siragusa and eventually added Terrance Mt Cody and others, all to keep Ray as clean as possible.

We aren't keeping Davis very clean and his game is suffering becuae of it.

Id even argue that the biggest thing hurting Cam this year is he has no power at his lighter weight. My girlfriend continues to comment how small he is (and she's met him several times in person) and that she's never seen him at that size. He doesn't have the same strength and power he's known for, on top of being lighter but not more explosive.

I'll keep saying it until I'm either proven wrong or right....this new philosophy that came in w/ Grantham does not mesh w/ how DA wants to play ball, on top of the original assessment of the OP, the DL isn't that good.
I agree with your assessment about Grantham. This philosophy of a lighter quicker D-Line is not working. Especially with these massive O-Linemen, They're just blowing our smaller D-Linemen off the line right away in the run downs and stonewalling them on passing downs. We need more power up front, we need to get bigger. I would like to see a line up of Ridgeway and Saunders in the middle on run downs and Ridgeway and Bresee on passing downs. The Titans look like they are having a fire sale. I wish the Saints would look and see what it would take to get Jeffery Simmons in a trade. He would immediately improve our D-Line. I really liked your idea in another thread about Deone Walker and I would also throw in Mason Graham.

Bresee doesn't have the length nor explosiveness to play on the end.

He has sub 33 inch arms which is already on the smaller end for an iDL but that's just wayyyyyy to small to play on the end.

He will need to succeed on the inside.
Where did you get doesn't have the length or explosiveness from. The man is 6'5.5"/305#. His 40 time was 4.86 and his 10 yd. split 1.70. That's pretty darn quick to move 10 yds. Yeah his arms are a little short (32.7) and that don't mean much, just ask Trey Hendrickson and how he's doing with sub 33" arms.

Being cheap cost em Malcolm Roach. They lowball young talented people so they can overpay old Saints after they retire. Drew was worth it, Cam one contract ago.

That's true. But there's a draft, right? Where's that talent? They surely should have found "somebody" that looks promising. But they haven't. Maybe Bresse? A big part of that falls on Ireland.

Cam Yes....Demario I think can still play, the problem is he's having to deal w/ too many large bodies. I always use Ray Lewis as a reference point because I listened to a documentary. At the time they were concerned about how much mileage was being added to Lewis when he had to take on OL. So they started drafting bigger bodies to put in front of him. They added Haloti Ngata to replace Siragusa and eventually added Terrance Mt Cody and others, all to keep Ray as clean as possible.

We aren't keeping Davis very clean and his game is suffering becuae of it.

Id even argue that the biggest thing hurting Cam this year is he has no power at his lighter weight. My girlfriend continues to comment how small he is (and she's met him several times in person) and that she's never seen him at that size. He doesn't have the same strength and power he's known for, on top of being lighter but not more explosive.

I'll keep saying it until I'm either proven wrong or right....this new philosophy that came in w/ Grantham does not mesh w/ how DA wants to play ball, on top of the original assessment of the OP, the DL isn't that good.
Going back to last season, Demario misses more open field tackles than he makes. Completely different from him previously he was almost unshakeable.

Hopefully, they can at least improve as the season progresses but we will see! Let’s see what 10 days off does for this team? Well, since the last blowout loss to freaking Payton’s Broncos? There has been enough rest to recalibrate the energy needed on the field on game day!
Agree, hopefully the janky schedule (Monday night, Sunday afternoon, Thursday night) plus all the injuries on both sides of the ball were outsized in their influence on how badly the games went.

Those last 3 losses were worst witnessed by myself in over 40 years as a fan! But, have this crazy feeling that it’s going to change like over night! Right? Can’t get no worse must improve!
I’ve seen this sentiment expressed a lot here lately, and I am increasingly convinced that many of you have either compound forgotten or weren’t even around for the disastrous end to the 2001 season.

Sitting at 7-5 after destroying the Falcons, the Saints had four games remaining: a home game vs. the Rams, whom the Saints beat earlier that year after scoring 25 unanswered points then kicking a walkoff field goal. A road tilt vs Tampa Bay followed, then two consecutive home games vs Washington and the finale vs the hated 49ers, who only won the first game of the series after Ricky Williams dropped a TD pass, to close out.

They lost those final four games by a combined 160-52, and were never competitive in any of them. Albert Connell stole from Deuce McAllister’s locker, Willie Roaf sat the last four games then got traded, nothing good was happening.

This… isn’t that bad. These Saints played the defending champs close, held a lead in the second game before running out of gas, then just got dropped in the emotions of that wacky Thursday night game. There’s also time to fix this.

Where did you get doesn't have the length or explosiveness from. The man is 6'5.5"/305#. His 40 time was 4.86 and his 10 yd. split 1.70. That's pretty darn quick to move 10 yds. Yeah his arms are a little short (32.7) and that don't mean much, just ask Trey Hendrickson and how he's doing with sub 33" arms.
40 and 10 yard split aren't indicative of much or else Foskey would be a HOFer.

Bresee's natural position in a 4-3 base defense is as an iDL not on the end. He just needs to play better, so far he's been horrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom