Saints D-Line is terrible (18 Viewers)

IMHO Bresee should be a DE in somewhat of a JJ Watt Role, meanwhile Granderson is doing that despite taking more snaps at LDE, while accommodating Young at RDE.

Part of me wants to think Grantham doesn’t have the guys to do what he wants, but he’s the one who brought in this philosophy a year ago, that had us asking guys to lose weight on the DL.

He’s not developing the DL talent in a way that Nielsen did.

We don’t stack and shed anyone. Not at DL or at LB but especially at DL. I feel bad for our LBs in how often we ask them to take on a G or C 1 on 1 in the running game.

Which is fine if you’re going to be a penetrating line, but the DL isn’t disruptive in the least bit on run downs. They get stood up and attached to single blocks, while another opposing OL freely climbs and puts his 300lb body all over my 235 lb Linebacker.

It’s cray cray

IMO there is blueprint for a model dline in the nfl for containing the run. The tackles CANNOT give up leverage. I don’t care if it’s zone read, or up the A or B gaps. Penetration is important but it has to be at least a stalemate. They have to be stout. It keeps them off the backers. When our run d was good, the backers read and react and clean up and maybe punch balls out. Ends can not give up contain and squeeze the run play Inside. Sounds easy enough but u have to have the players to do it. If you can get the opposition in down and distance them comes our nascar package which have been subpar. That’s where we miss a quick twitch interior lineman like roach.

Meanwhile, several former Saints that don’t have the last name Davenport are doing well this year.

Malcolm Roach 80.0
Trey Hendrickson 75.5
David Onyemata 67.7

Jeff Ireland deserves some of the blame as well. They haven't hit on anyone on the D-line in a long time.

Not sure the issue. I've seen each of these guys play good at times in the past. But recently it is like they are playing pattycake rather than trying to run the other team over. If this was a high school team I'd say just stop messing around and bull rush first, but clearly this is a whole other level; the point being they don't seem to explode into the OL and push them back hard. I was watching Young in particular and he kind of makes soft contact, dances a step or two, then chooses a direction, looks weak.

IMO there is blueprint for a model dline in the nfl for containing the run. The tackles CANNOT give up leverage. I don’t care if it’s zone read, or up the A or B gaps. Penetration is important but it has to be at least a stalemate. They have to be stout. It keeps them off the backers. When our run d was good, the backers read and react and clean up and maybe punch balls out. Ends can not give up contain and squeeze the run play Inside. Sounds easy enough but u have to have the players to do it. If you can get the opposition in down and distance them comes our nascar package which have been subpar. That’s where we miss a quick twitch interior lineman like roach.
This ^ All day. They also need to give Ridgeway more playing time. He is known as a run stuffer who can collapse the middle of the O-Line at times. I believe the more playing time he gets the better he will get. We need to draft another big NT like Deone Walker (6'6"/345# from Kentucky or Mason Graham (6'3"/320#) from Michigan.

Hopefully, they can at least improve as the season progresses but we will see! Let’s see what 10 days off does for this team? Well, since the last blowout loss to freaking Payton’s Broncos? There has been enough rest to recalibrate the energy needed on the field on game day! Those last 3 losses were worst witnessed by myself in over 40 years as a fan! But, have this crazy feeling that it’s going to change like over night! Right? Can’t get no worse must improve!

One of the Saints biggest issues on defense is they let a player like Trey Hendrickson walk out the door. Bad move on Loomis's part and now we got old folks and castoffs manning the helm on the line. We also had bad draft picks in Foske and Turner. Only bright spots are Taylor, Bresse and Granderson. Lattimore has had a solid year also.
The poor tackling and bad angles is a lack of discipline and development. You can tell in the body language of the players they're ready for a change in the coaching department.

Last edited:
Jeff Ireland deserves some of the blame as well. They haven't hit on anyone on the D-line in a long time.
Being cheap cost em Malcolm Roach. They lowball young talented people so they can overpay old Saints after they retire. Drew was worth it, Cam one contract ago.

One of the Saints biggest issues on defense is they let a player like Trey Hendrickson walk out the door. Bad move on Loomis's part and now we got old folks and castoffs manning the helm on the line. We also had bad draft picks in Foske and Turner. Only bright spots are Taylor, Bresse and Granderson. Lattimore has had a solid year also.
The poor tackling and bad angles is a lack of discipline and development. You can tell in the body language of the players they're ready for a change in the coaching department.
lattimore is from 2017. Breese is not playing well and should probly move to the outside. To crappy against the run-Just like hi draft profile said. Foske too stiff just like hid draft profile. Saints always think they are the smartest guy in the room. Even their hits-fell for a reason. Lattimore -history of recurrent Hammys. Ram- degenerating knee-they would have won this pick if they knew how to admit he SHOULD NEVER have gotten a second contract . I dont know how many millions they lost on that bone headed decision. Thats why we are 80 mil over the cap next year

lattimore is from 2017. Breese is not playing well and should probly move to the outside. To crappy against the run-Just like hi draft profile said. Foske too stiff just like hid draft profile. Saints always think they are the smartest guy in the room. Even their hits-fell for a reason. Lattimore -history of recurrent Hammys. Ram- degenerating knee-they would have won this pick if they knew how to admit he SHOULD NEVER have gotten a second contract . I dont know how many millions they lost on that bone headed decision. Thats why we are 80 mil over the cap next year
Ramczyk’s contract wasn’t so bad. We signed him with $60m in guarantees, of which $6m was guaranteed for injury only. He earned $54m in guarantees while playing, and we are only paying him his $6m injury guarantee this year. If he was healthy, we likely have paid him more this year, but the contract protected both sides if his knee wasn’t holding up any more in 2024.

He will retire before we pay him anything more than what we initially guaranteed, so it seems like Loomis ended up with just about the right length/amount for his contract.

I feel the sportswriters are mostly bloggers/you tubers who really arent that aware. They all say the same thing
Every time I focus in on Chase Young, all he does is run up to the offensive tackle and pitty pats with his hands. He occasionally takes to the outside rush but just runs past the quarterback. He's terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom