Saints releasing more players (2 Viewers)

Arnold going back to the practice squad and signing two defensive backs since we are down three since Sunday: Gray, Apple, PJ.
Bad idea. In order for Arnold to be back on the practice squad he has to be waived first. Teams around the league have 24 hours to claim him. If no claims him, then he is eligible to sign back to the practice squad. Even so that doesn't guaranteed he will sign back to us. After 24 hours Arnold can decide who he wants to sign. If a team offer him a spot on their practice squad and a big pay day, he may go in that direction. You never know. But cutting him now is a big risk with plenty of teams looking for a receivers somewhere. Teams around the league knows he can play and can contribute on their team. I think Arnold is sticking around on the active roster for the rest of the season.

Bad idea. In order for Arnold to be back on the practice squad he has to be waived first. Teams around the league have 24 hours to claim him. If no claims him, then he is eligible to sign back to the practice squad. Even so that doesn't guaranteed he will sign back to us. After 24 hours Arnold can decide who he wants to sign. If a team offer him a spot on their practice squad and a big pay day, he may go in that direction. You never know. But cutting him now is a big risk with plenty of teams looking for a receivers somewhere. Teams around the league knows he can play and can contribute on their team. I think Arnold is sticking around on the active roster for the rest of the season.
Not that big of a risk.

Has he done something since we activated him that is going to make him a hot commodity?
He just played one game. But look at what he did last year. You don't think teams notice that? I am not high on Arnold. I criticized that man and wanted AJ Derby over him. But at this point in the season and injuries concern throughout the league, we can't take that chance. If he leaves, you are left with 2 tight end. If one of them gets injured, like Cook was last week, we looking around for a tight end somewhere. Teams are not waiting and throwing money at him but for depth purposes he will get picked up. If we trade for a tight end now, then releasing Arnold is a no brainer.

When they see his highlights, especially the big game drops, they'll have plenty of reserve. I'd say we're plenty safe.

Saints already have the cap space. Green's salary for the year is prorated for each week; he'd only count roughly $6 million against the cap if traded for at the deadline.

Saints have 4 mil in cap space

I'm guessing we're signing 2 CBs since we'll be down 3 this weekend. Losing PRob and Apple sucks when you're already missing PJ.

I doubt we'll bring in a WR. unfortunately.

OK, someone help me understand the practice squad moves. I can understand making two positions available on the 53 man roster, but I'm not sure why they made two spots available on the practice squad? If you trade for someone, or pick up someone from another team's practice squad, you have to put them on your 53 man roster. So...the only way to fill those two practice squad openings is they are going to demote a player currently on the 53, or they are going to pick up someone who isn't currently on anyone's roster to add to the practice squad. I just can't wrap my head around why they made two openings on the practice squad when filling those positions is kinda convoluted to do at this time of year.

I guess it could just be about money, but the NFL normally doesn't even bat an eye over practice squad player's salary as it's peanuts to them. So I'd figure that they keep the practice squad complete until they absolutely needed the spots....but they've opened two spots now, and I'm curious as to what they are up to. The only guy I can think of that they may send back to the practice squad, would be Dan Arnold if Cooks is healthy now. But that still leaves J.T. Barretts open spot. Any idea what they may be up to? All I can figure is that there is some guy that's not currently playing football that they want to put on the practice squad. Or maybe they just figure, Barrett is never gonna pan out, so why keep paying him? I dunno?
arnold needs to go back to the practice squad for sure, my lil jordan as well.

And J.T. Barrett was signed right after Drew was hurt iirc. Does this mean Drew is practicing now?
Today's his first practice. I, for one, cannot wait to hear how he handles the live action. It's been reported that he'll be facing a full pass rush (obviously in a red jersey) which will see how he can handle swinging the ball around while gripping it to escape the rush, climb the pocket, etc. Taking snaps under center is another issue they said they'll be placing close attention to.

Yeah, but it was still scary. Until there’s official word, any slight piece of good news is welcome, IMO.

At this point no news is good of it was anything serious we woukd've heard by now. Annie would be all iver twitter if it was anything to worry about.

Saints are clearly about to make some moves. I suspect they’ve got their sights set on a WR and CB. It’ll be at least one guy we never saw coming. It’ll be an underrated WR who will shine in the Saints O. The CB we’ll probably have heard of and hopefully he’ll only ever play ST.

This we still need that #2 WR and a CB for this week.

At this point no news is good of it was anything serious we woukd've heard by now. Annie would be all iver twitter if it was anything to worry about.

Last year, we didn’t place Ted Ginn on IR until Thursday of a game week.

I agree that, to this point, no news is good news. But until there’s something official, there’s still reason to be looking out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom