Saints signing Jets DT Nathan Shepherd (3yrs/15M, 10.18M guaranteed) (1 Viewer)

INFO:

Saints signed DT Nathan Shepherd, formerly of the Jets.​

The Saints were, as the kids say, down bad at defensive tackle. They have multiple defensive linemen no longer under contract and two of their tackles have already inked deals with new teams. Shepherd, a former third-round pick, has primarily been a backup for the Jets. Pro Football Focus has graded him as a strong pass-rusher throughout his career and he has six sacks despite starting just 12 games through four years. He will likely be tasked with a starting role in New Orleans.

Don't know anything about Shepherd, so I'm looking around for some overview articled. This one is from the Browns' Fan Nation page, where the writer breaks down and compares the best free-agent DT against one another.

He seems to rely a good bit on PFF scores -- I know some like PFF scores and others don't. By PPF score, Shephard was better than Onyemata and Tuttle in 2022.

Nathan Shepherd - 6'4", 315 Lbs.​

2022 Stats: 33 tackles, 4 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 7 QB pressures

2022 PFF Grade: 68.9

3-Year PFF Avg: 56.8

Fit: Nathan Shepherd is a player that's not talked about very much, but has provided quality depth in New York for the past five seasons. He's always been a better run stopper than pass rusher, but he does enough in the passing game to pressure the quarterback from time to time. He's got exceptional length and takes up a lot of space inside. He could be another cheap depth candidate for Cleveland if they're looking for another player to round out the defensive tackle room.

5 year vet, played in almost every game each season outside of PED suspension in 2019. Likely replaces Tuttle’s spot right now while we still draft a DT at #29

Like I said yesterday, don’t be surprised if we fill our D Line with vet FA signings. I’m getting the feeling that we focus on the offense in the draft. Reaching for a DT at #29 (the great ones will be off the board by then) is not a smart move

Like I said yesterday, don’t be surprised if we fill our D Line with vet FA signings. I’m getting the feeling that we focus on the offense in the draft. Reaching for a DT at #29 (the great ones will be off the board by then) is not a smart move
Yes. This has been the way the team has operated in the past. Needs in free agency, BPA in the draft. Now, free agency doesn't always bring you upgrades, but it fills holes regardless. After the last couple of days we had definite holes and this signing fills one.

Now, free agency doesn't always bring you upgrades, but it fills holes regardless.
Right on. We'll not be signing any Aaron Donalds or anybody like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom