Science! (12 Viewers)

Whether referring to a politician, cheering on an athlete, or recounting what friends and family have been up to, names often crop up in everyday human communication. Now researchers say marmoset monkeys use similar labels.

Besides humans, only dolphins and elephants were previously known to use vocal labels for other members of their species.

But now scientists say they have found evidence of the behaviour in a non-human primate.

Dr David Omer, co-author of the research from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, said: “We think that this behaviour is important for [marmosets’] social cohesion and therefore it’s crucial for their survival.”

“We predict that other non-human primates with the similar social structure of a monogamous family group may have developed similar behaviours.”

The team said the work could have other implications, too.

“Primate vocalisation was long thought to be genetically predetermined and inflexible, making it irrelevant to the evolution of human language,” said Omer. “Our findings, however, challenge this assumption.”…….

Scientists say they have created a “smart mask” that can analyse the wearer’s breath and detect tell-tale signs of disease.

Researchers hope the device – which can beam its data to an app over Bluetooth – will offer an affordable and convenient way to capture and immediately analyse breath biomarkers related to respiratory and metabolic processes.

They say it has the potential to improve efforts to diagnose conditions such as lung disease early and to monitor conditions and support tailored treatment plans.

“Our technology can serve as a general breath analysis platform. We can choose different sensors for a specific condition or a fusion of sensors for a variety of conditions,” said Prof Wei Gao, senior author of the research, from the California Institute of Technology…….

Prepare for either the price to skyrocket or supply to dwindle or both
===================

Weight-loss drugs are poised to revolutionise healthcare by slowing down the ageing process and by allowing people to live for longer and in better health.

That is the dramatic message from leading scientists after studies were presented last week at the European Society of Cardiology Conference in London.

Research has already found that semaglutide – also known by the brand names Wegovy and Ozempic – reduced the risk of death in people who were obese or overweight and had cardiovascular disease.

But fresh studies have found that Ozempic has impacts beyond what was originally imagined for the drug. People who took the drug died at a lower rate from all causes, not just from cardiovascular causes, researchers discovered.

“Semaglutide has far-reaching benefits beyond what we initially imagined,” said Prof Harlan Krumholz of the Yale school of medicine.

“It’s not just avoiding heart attacks. These are health promoters. It wouldn’t surprise me that improving people’s health this way actually slows down the ageing process.”

The studies were produced from the Select trial in the US, which studied 17,604 people aged 45 or older who were overweight or obese and had established cardiovascular disease but not diabetes.

They received semaglutide or a placebo and were tracked for more than three years.……..

Prepare for either the price to skyrocket or supply to dwindle or both
===================

Weight-loss drugs are poised to revolutionise healthcare by slowing down the ageing process and by allowing people to live for longer and in better health.

That is the dramatic message from leading scientists after studies were presented last week at the European Society of Cardiology Conference in London.

Research has already found that semaglutide – also known by the brand names Wegovy and Ozempic – reduced the risk of death in people who were obese or overweight and had cardiovascular disease.

But fresh studies have found that Ozempic has impacts beyond what was originally imagined for the drug. People who took the drug died at a lower rate from all causes, not just from cardiovascular causes, researchers discovered.

“Semaglutide has far-reaching benefits beyond what we initially imagined,” said Prof Harlan Krumholz of the Yale school of medicine.

“It’s not just avoiding heart attacks. These are health promoters. It wouldn’t surprise me that improving people’s health this way actually slows down the ageing process.”

The studies were produced from the Select trial in the US, which studied 17,604 people aged 45 or older who were overweight or obese and had established cardiovascular disease but not diabetes.

They received semaglutide or a placebo and were tracked for more than three years.……..

I’m currently on ozempic and synjardy xr for type 2 diabetes. I can attest that these drugs are the real deal. I’ve got my A1C down from 9.2% to 6.0% and have lost exactly 70 pounds so far on ozempic. I highly recommend if any of my brother and or sister Whodats have found it hard to control your diabetes or lose weight. As for the other extra benefits that they are discovering…fingers crossed.

I’m currently on ozempic and synjardy xr for type 2 diabetes. I can attest that these drugs are the real deal. I’ve got my A1C down from 9.2% to 6.0% and have lost exactly 70 pounds so far on ozempic. I highly recommend if any of my brother and or sister Whodats have found it hard to control your diabetes or lose weight. As for the other extra benefits that they are discovering…fingers crossed.

What dietary changes have you made? I'm on Metformin and my A1C dropped from 8.5 to 7.2 in the last three months, but that's with a fairly draconian cutback on sugar and carbs.

What dietary changes have you made? I'm on Metformin and my A1C dropped from 8.5 to 7.2 in the last three months, but that's with a fairly draconian cutback on sugar and carbs.
I cut my alcohol down to once a week, cut out bread, and most carbs, cut out all takeout. Started eating almonds, more green veggies, more baked fish and atkins bars.

Researchers have gained new insight into how and why some people experience depression after finding a particular brain network is far bigger in people living with the condition.

The surface of the brain is a communication junction box at which different areas talk to each other to carry out particular processes. But there is a finite amount of space for these networks to share.

Now researchers say that in people with depression, a larger part of the brain is involved in the network that controls attention to rewards and threats than in those without depression.

“It’s taking up more real estate on the brain surface than we see is typical in healthy controls,” said Dr Charles Lynch, a co-author of the research, from Weill Cornell Medicine in New York. He added that expansion meant the size of other – often neighbouring – brain networks were smaller.…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom