Shady Moving Companies (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
On Tuesday we had a new coworker start at our office. She moved down from Chicago, and while she got to Houston, her belongings did not. Apparently the moving company that she hired is holding her stuff, and telling her that she will have to pay double for her move.

She signed a contract, and was told by the moving company that her things wouldn’t be here in Houston by the 2nd, however after the 2nd came and went she still didn’t have her things. She called the company and the receptionist (or whoever answers their phones) kept hanging up on her. Finally she received a call on Tuesday saying that if she wanted her belongings by the 15th she would have to pay $4,000 more than what she initially paid.

I feel horrible for her as this is impacting her work, and she is emotionally drained. She has contacted an attorney, but no traction has been made by the attorney yet.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I help?

She needs to reach out to the DA where this company is domiciled. It's gonna be a long process and the exact reason these shysters do it. Ppl will pay the 4k instead of months trying to get their stuff.

I would imagine their is something in that contract she didn't see that gives them the hubris to attempt this. It's basically blackmail.

Outside of going all Richard Pryor, not much you can do.

is the company "moving forward america"?

I have heard horror stories of moving companies (some local) doing this. It makes my blood boil.

This sounds like something that should be brought to the attention of a Chicago television station's consumer reporter. At least one of their local stations is bound to have one. Businesses will often react to bad publicity.

Legal channels take time. She needs help yesterday. I have moved many times, sometimes Uhaul and the like and sometimes with a mover. It's one of the most stressful things in one's life, let alone experiencing a mess like this. :jpshakehead:

This sounds like something that should be brought to the attention of a Chicago television station's consumer reporter. At least one of their local stations is bound to have one. Businesses will often react to bad publicity.

Legal channels take time. She needs help yesterday. I have moved many times, sometimes Uhaul and the like and sometimes with a mover. It's one of the most stressful things in one's life, let alone experiencing a mess like this. :jpshakehead:

My Brother-In-Law is a Producer for Windy City Live on the ABC Affiliate in Chicago. There is an Investigative Team for the ABC Eyewitness News. They may want to start here.

If they're holding her stuff illegally then shouldn't she file a report with the police where the moving company is located?

What's the name of the moving company?

When I moved from Oakland back to Louisiana, the moving company didn't show up with my stuff at the scheduled time. I contacted them and they said they called the driver and they were stuck in traffic in the Dallas area. Hey, that makes sense, is what I thought. However, when they never arrived later that day, nor did they arrive the next day, I called again. They then told me the truck was having engine issues. A few hours later, they called and said that what had really happened was that the truck caught fire and everything burned. I of course had not taken the extra insurance since I was basically just fresh out of college. I had lawyers check up with them and after several weeks of back and forth, they offered no evidence at all regarding the actual fire or loss, just that it was completely gone. They wrote me a check for their insured value on the items, which was, if I recall, somewhere around .25 cents a pound. It totaled about $1000. I had just purchased a new bed, new leather couch and chair, all my clothes, books, jewelry, Saints memorabilia etc etc. Gone, for $1000. When I put some lawyers on it, the company immediately declared for bankruptcy and dissolved. To this day, I'm pretty sure that all my belongings ended up sold in Mexico somewhere.

On Tuesday we had a new coworker start at our office. She moved down from Chicago, and while she got to Houston, her belongings did not. Apparently the moving company that she hired is holding her stuff, and telling her that she will have to pay double for her move.

She signed a contract, and was told by the moving company that her things wouldn’t be here in Houston by the 2nd, however after the 2nd came and went she still didn’t have her things. She called the company and the receptionist (or whoever answers their phones) kept hanging up on her. Finally she received a call on Tuesday saying that if she wanted her belongings by the 15th she would have to pay $4,000 more than what she initially paid.

I feel horrible for her as this is impacting her work, and she is emotionally drained. She has contacted an attorney, but no traction has been made by the attorney yet.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I help?

The company didn't arrange all this?

Usually companies contract the more reputable moving companies to avoid these hassles.

I've never had this happen, but it's a reason I was extra careful with whomever I've used. My only interstate moves were handled by my companies or I got a UHaul.

It was an interstate move. Contact the FMCSA. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/protect-your-move

What if my mover won't deliver my goods?
If you have paid the mover 110% of the non-binding estimate or 100% of the binding estimate and the mover fails to deliver your goods, they have violated the Federal regulations for the protection of household good shippers. You should file a complaint online or call 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238).
What if my mover increases the agreed price?
If the mover increases the price after loading the truck, you are not required to pay more than 100% of the binding estimate or 110% of the non-binding estimate. The mover is required to bill any additional charges 30 days after delivery of your goods.
What if my mover disappears with my possessions?
You should file a complaint online or call 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238). You may also contact the State Attorney General's [external link] office or appropriate enforcement agency in your state.

If they're holding her stuff illegally then shouldn't she file a report with the police where the moving company is located?

I think this is a great idea.

First file a police report.. give that a few days, if nothing comes of it, then contact the news organizations mentioned to blast the moving company with negative PR.

Third option IMO would be to pay them the $4k if she has it, then continue pursuing legal options to try to get it reimbursed.

The company didn't arrange all this?

Usually companies contract the more reputable moving companies to avoid these hassles.
The company offered to pay $3000 for a $5500 moving company, but she found this company that was going for much less. The company will reimburse her once the bill came.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom