Shooter incident at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas - 19 children and 2 adults dead (1 Viewer)

That is actually part of it

Article I read years ago said that during the initial training for new cops they are told that everyone they encounter is a possible potential threat
Everyone they encounter, even those they suspect have committed a crime or witnessed comitting a crime, are the ones they are supposed to protect and serve. That is the central tennant that should guide their actions... not the view that they are a combatant in a war zone.

Everyone they encounter, even those they suspect have committed a crime or witnessed comitting a crime, are the ones they are supposed to protect and serve. That is the central tennant that should guide their actions... not the view that they are a combatant in a war zone.
adama.jpg

I'm not seeing your point here unless it's intended to to be a political drive-by. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. One doesn't take away from the other. Funding school security is mostly up to state and local budgets. Not so much federal dollars, although I wouldn't oppose that.
not political drive by. i would say take care of your home before you take care of others. use federal dollars to help schools become safer.

but, that doesnt help our politicians. so nothing will ever happen with that.

not political drive by. i would say take care of your home before you take care of others. use federal dollars to help schools become safer.

but, that doesnt help our politicians. so nothing will ever happen with that.
Sure, but federal dollars aren't going to funding school security, so it's irrelevant to taking care of home. Regardless, as a percentage of the budget, we're not near the top globally in terms of federal international aid.

As of fiscal year 2020, foreign aid totaled $51 billion:[6] less than 1% of the federal budget.[7] In terms of raw quantity, the U.S. spends the most on foreign aid of any country; however, as a percent of GDP, US foreign aid spending ranks near the bottom compared to other developed countries.[4] The next highest spender on foreign aid is Germany.[4]

A teacher who survived the Uvalde school shooting but lost all 11 students in his classroom, slammed the police as "cowards" for their failures in responding to the attack that left 19 children and two teachers dead.

"They sit there and did nothing for our community," Arnulfo Reyes said in an interview with ABC News on Tuesday. "They took a long time to go in… I will never forgive them."

Reyes, who taught third and fourth grade at Robb Elementary, spoke to ABC News from the hospital, where he has undergone five surgeries to recover from multiple gunshot wounds.

That morning, Reyes said he and his students had been expecting a fun, celebratory day; final tests were complete, and summer vacation was right around the corner. There was little on the schedule that day besides giving out awards and watching the animated Addams Family movie.

But then the gunfire began. When he heard a loud noise, Reyes told the children to go under their desks and pretend to be asleep, not clear what was happening. But then, "When I turned around ... I just saw him," he said.

The gunman shot Reyes in his arm, then continued shooting all over the classroom. He later shot Reyes again, this time in the back, piercing his lung.

"I had no concept of time," Reyes said. "When things go bad, it seems like eternity. The only thing that I can say is I felt like my blood was like an hourglass."

When police finally entered the classroom — more than an hour after the shooting began — all 11 students in Reyes' classroom were dead.

"I feel so bad for the parents because they lost a child," Reyes said. "But they lost one child. I lost 11 that day, all at one time."..........

Sure, but federal dollars aren't going to funding school security, so it's irrelevant to taking care of home. Regardless, as a percentage of the budget, we're not near the top globally in terms of federal aid.

it certainly should go to protecting kids even though federal funding doesnt as you say. but is what it is. nothing will ever change, and in a few months/year there will be another mass school shooting, another thread right here in the EE talking about gun laws, more debates, more useless politicians sparking "gun laws" then guess what, nothing changes again. rinse repeat.

its pretty pathetic. all the politicians want to do is talk the talk, but not help a thing but their pockets

Last edited:
A teacher who survived the Uvalde school shooting but lost all 11 students in his classroom, slammed the police as "cowards" for their failures in responding to the attack that left 19 children and two teachers dead.

"They sit there and did nothing for our community," Arnulfo Reyes said in an interview with ABC News on Tuesday. "They took a long time to go in… I will never forgive them."

Reyes, who taught third and fourth grade at Robb Elementary, spoke to ABC News from the hospital, where he has undergone five surgeries to recover from multiple gunshot wounds.

That morning, Reyes said he and his students had been expecting a fun, celebratory day; final tests were complete, and summer vacation was right around the corner. There was little on the schedule that day besides giving out awards and watching the animated Addams Family movie.

But then the gunfire began. When he heard a loud noise, Reyes told the children to go under their desks and pretend to be asleep, not clear what was happening. But then, "When I turned around ... I just saw him," he said.

The gunman shot Reyes in his arm, then continued shooting all over the classroom. He later shot Reyes again, this time in the back, piercing his lung.

"I had no concept of time," Reyes said. "When things go bad, it seems like eternity. The only thing that I can say is I felt like my blood was like an hourglass."

When police finally entered the classroom — more than an hour after the shooting began — all 11 students in Reyes' classroom were dead.

"I feel so bad for the parents because they lost a child," Reyes said. "But they lost one child. I lost 11 that day, all at one time."..........

thats just horrible man. those police were definitely cowards. my opinion on police mans "to protect and serve" bs written on the back of their vehicles has changed a lot more since this shooting.

One mother, Angeli Gómez, told CBS News that police handcuffed her when she tried to go into the school herself to save her two sons. After convincing an officer to uncuff her, she said, she jumped a fence and ran inside, managing to get them out safe. Since then, Gómez said she received a phone call from law enforcement warning her not to speak about her experience to the media.

big bad cops with a badge but cower like a scolded dog when they are needed to do their jobs.

Possibly, idk. Apparently the security guard who was supposed to be on duty wasn't on site when the shooting happened. I don't know if it makes a difference because the shooter didn't go through the main entrance. If he does and the guard was there, who knows what would have happened?
We would probably be adding the guard to the list of victims because I doubt the guard had adequate weaponry to cause any significant delay from someone entering with a A.R. 15 assault rifle.

We would probably be adding the guard to the list of victims because I doubt the guard had adequate weaponry to cause any significant delay from someone entering with a A.R. 15 assault rifle.
I don't disagree there. I mean, maybe he gets a lucky shot off before the kid started his rampage. But I do agree he more likely is just the first victim.

it certainly should go to protecting kids even though federal funding doesnt as you say. but is what it is. nothing will ever change, and in a few months/year there will be another mass school shooting, another thread right here in the EE talking about gun laws, more debates, more useless politicians sparking "gun laws" then guess what, nothing changes again. rinse repeat.

its pretty pathetic. all the politicians want to do is talk the talk, but not help a thing but their pockets
We always expect somebody else to enact change.

What are YOU going to do differently between now and the next shooting? What am I going to do?

I don't know.

If I don't do anything, how can I righteously expect someone else to do something.

I wonder if obsessing about it in my head counts for anything.

What are YOU going to do differently between now and the next shooting? What am I going to do?

I don't know.

If I don't do anything, how can I righteously expect someone else to do something.

personally, what power do i have to do anything? i dont own guns, both my ex wife and my current wife dont like them. guess that counts for something.

all these blabbering idiots in washington CAN do something, and choose not to.

personally, what power do i have to do anything? i dont own guns, both my ex wife and my current wife dont like them. guess that counts for something.

all these blabbering idiots in washington CAN do something, and choose not to.
Yeah, just thinking out loud.

We give other people too much credit, I think. Certain professions.

Build up this narrative that they're something other than human and stupid.

Then get mad when they prove us wrong.

I don't know.

Possibly to the point to where when the next election rolls around you may pay closer attention to what is important to the candidate that are up for election

Possibly, idk. Apparently the security guard who was supposed to be on duty wasn't on site when the shooting happened. I don't know if it makes a difference because the shooter didn't go through the main entrance. If he does and the guard was there, who knows what would have happened?
I read something saying he was working that day, but, like other resource officers nationwide, wasn't on grounds because he had additional duties. I thought I remember them saying he drove passed the shooter who had been hiding behind a car before getting into the building.

I don't know.

Vote.

Seriously. The reason some politicians know they can delay, deflect and just spout random gibberish is a subset of constituents will crawl through napalm-coated burning glass to vote against gun control.
While a MUCH larger segment can't be arsed to fill out a mail-in ballot to vote for it.
We get precisely what we settle for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom