Snow...when it's 46? (1 Viewer)

BullDawg

Gone but will never forgotten. R.I.P. Nate
Reaction score
I was just outside on a quick smoke break. It's raining lightly, but steadily. No biggie. But I notice some of the "raindrops" were defying gravity...they were floating up! I swear it looks like very small snowflakes mixed in with the rain.:no:

Or maybe you shouldn't smoke what you were smoking....

Or, smoke more.

Yeah, they get that up in the midwest a lot. It has something to do with the temperature of the air at certain levels (maybe a cold layer just above the ground, i'm not that good).

I was looking at a sat loop this morning and it looked exactly like the back side of a low that you would see in winter with some flurries behind it.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about a long or cold winter. We're in quasi-el nino anyway. Chances are, it will get cold, but mostly the cold won't last but a day or two as overrunning steering out of the SW will serve to modify most of the coldest air. (Caveat: I haven't looked at anyone's winter predictions from this year, just going on personal history).

TPS

Just don't smoke in the mens room in Sec 628 and then come here and post that you did...seeing snowflakes would have been wonderful that day! :)

Yeah, they get that up in the midwest a lot. It has something to do with the temperature of the air at certain levels (maybe a cold layer just above the ground, i'm not that good).

I was looking at a sat loop this morning and it looked exactly like the back side of a low that you would see in winter with some flurries behind it.

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about a long or cold winter. We're in quasi-el nino anyway. Chances are, it will get cold, but mostly the cold won't last but a day or two as overrunning steering out of the SW will serve to modify most of the coldest air. (Caveat: I haven't looked at anyone's winter predictions from this year, just going on personal history).

TPS
I'm not sure how the mini-nino is going to affect us. All I know is this year's weather patterns (since spring at least) have pretty much mirrored 2000 and the 2000-2001 winter season was brutal (by my MS Gulf Coast thin blood at least).

I was just outside on a quick smoke break. It's raining lightly, but steadily. No biggie. But I notice some of the "raindrops" were defying gravity...they were floating up! I swear it looks like very small snowflakes mixed in with the rain.:no:

would you like me to fed-ex overnight a few snow shovels to you? i have a wide variety of them..just about every color in the spectrum.

Wouldn't you know it, NOAA just released their outlook today.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2742.htm

Looks like a mostly about average winter for us in the Gulf South (and you all in the hinterlands of North Alabama too) - maybe a little drier up in Yankeeland as well.

TPS

That would be welcomed. We've got a ton more acorns than usual right now, maybe more than ever, which of course usually means more snow that usual. I guess we'll see what happens.

>>That would be welcomed. We've got a ton more acorns than usual right now, maybe more than ever, which of course usually means more snow that usual. I guess we'll see what happens.

Well it's all relative for you. While BullDawg resides in the hinterlands, you're in the tundra if not the arctic circle. Warmer than average doesn't mean you won't be seeing -17 a couple of times. :brr:

As for the acorns, that also usually means a pretty good deer season (if they let you guys hunt in Connecticut). :shrug:

TPS

would you like me to fed-ex overnight a few snow shovels to you? i have a wide variety of them..just about every color in the spectrum.
Heck yeah...might need some snowshoes and/or a snowmobile too, especially if it decides to come a full-fledged flurry.

how long until they begin to shut down roads...:hihi:

BD, watch out for the sand trucks, and proceed very slowly over bridges and overpasses. Even though it's 46, you never know when there might be a very small pocket below freezing.

Watch that black ice stuff too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom