Sports card collecting (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I recently had a football card box break video pop up in my Youtube recommendations, which has led me to having an itch for ripping open some packs. I used to collect when I was younger, but it's probably been about 20 years since I've bought anything. I already collect enough stuff, so I know I probably shouldn't jump into this, but it's way too much to have a stack of packs waiting to open in hopes that you pull an amazing auto or memorabilia card.

Anybody here do any sports card collecting?

Reaction score
Since I started collecting cards again a few years ago. Michael Thomas rookie jersey card, Sheldon Rankins rookie auto, Vaccaro rookie auto, Kikaha rookie auto, Deuce rookie, PJ Williams rookie auto, Michael Thomas rookie auto, Vonn Bell rookie auto
53E0DE35-6FAD-4A3C-8E95-035B63FEFFEB.jpeg

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Since I started collecting cards again a few years ago. Michael Thomas rookie jersey card, Sheldon Rankins rookie auto, Vaccaro rookie auto, Kikaha rookie auto, Deuce rookie, PJ Williams rookie auto, Michael Thomas rookie auto, Vonn Bell rookie auto
Nice autos!

I need to do a video highlighting some of my favorite Saints cards. Of course, I'd have to go through them in order to do that, which will take some time. I just got around to getting them all into one big 4 row storage box, so baby steps. :)

Reaction score
Nice autos!

I need to do a video highlighting some of my favorite Saints cards. Of course, I'd have to go through them in order to do that, which will take some time. I just got around to getting them all into one big 4 row storage box, so baby steps. :)
Definitely share eventually! You think any of the cards I posted are worth getting graded by PSA? Maybe the Michael Thomas rookie auto I guess since he's been setting records

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely share eventually! You think any of the cards I posted are worth getting graded by PSA? Maybe the Michael Thomas rookie auto I guess since he's been setting records
Yes, that's probably only one really worth waiting on PSA to grade. They're so far behind, unless you pay for the fastest service.

Reaction score
Yes, that's probably only one really worth waiting on PSA to grade. They're so far behind, unless you pay for the fastest service.
Yea, plus it's pretty much mint. I take cards from packs and put them straight into sleeves and a hard sleeve if I think they might be worth something.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i still have the Brandon Cooks you sent me for winning the contest:cheer:

I need to dig out the rest of my cards from childhood. I have several Archie cards including rookie. Tons of Pittsburgh cards from Steel Curtain Days.

Reaction score
Question for ya: Say a set of cards was released and only 4234 were printed and each set came with 1-2 autographed cards. How many sets do you think people would open and casually enjoy or buy for their kids to have? How many sets would possibly stay sealed in the box? How many sets opened and autos sent in for grading? Players and coaches each got a set of these cards and I doubt they really sleeve any of them after opening. So that's probably 4000 or less box sets for the general public. Topps is sold out already and sealed boxes you can find are in the secondary market. Now here's the other news. It's pro softball cards. Still it's a growing sport and the cards could feature autographed ones from players who played/play professionally and for Team USA. I know someone so I have two boxes that are suppose to be on the way next week. You think the autographed cards are worth grading and maybe keep one box seaIed just because of the limited amount made and they are already sold out from the company who printed them?

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Question for ya: Say a set of cards was released and only 4234 were printed and each set came with 1-2 autographed cards. How many sets do you think people would open and casually enjoy or buy for their kids to have? How many sets would possibly stay sealed in the box? How many sets opened and autos sent in for grading? Players and coaches each got a set of these cards and I doubt they really sleeve any of them after opening. So that's probably 4000 or less box sets for the general public. Topps is sold out already and sealed boxes you can find are in the secondary market. Now here's the other news. It's pro softball cards. Still it's a growing sport and the cards could feature autographed ones from players who played/play professionally and for Team USA. I know someone so I have two boxes that are suppose to be on the way next week. You think the autographed cards are worth grading and maybe keep one box seaIed just because of the limited amount made and they are already sold out from the company who printed them?
Not sure how big of a demand there'd be for that. I guess it couldn't hurt to hold them and grade some.

Reaction score
Not sure how big of a demand there'd be for that. I guess it couldn't hurt to hold them and grade some.
I think it would be something where I should hope that they never print professional softball cards again. Just so the rarity of mint cards rapidly declines over the years. Hopefully some collectors of all sports is in need

mattgdg

Rookie
Reaction score
I have often wondered if you were to buy as many, say 1987 Donruss Jamie Moyer cards as you could and publicly destroy them, if you could move the needle on its value?

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have often wondered if you were to buy as many, say 1987 Donruss Jamie Moyer cards as you could and publicly destroy them, if you could move the needle on its value?
I would think that there would have to be sufficient demand for the particular player. There are plenty of 1 of 1 cards out there of various players that aren't worth a whole bunch. Now, if you could do that with a Michael Jordan card, then you've got a different ballgame going on.

Reaction score
My Panini Prizm draft picks box of 6 packs came in today. Pulled these rookie cards: I'm loving the Justin Herbert one and getting it graded since those are already selling for over $200 on ebay. I think Ruggs, Lamb, Delpit, Akers, and Hurts have potential as well.
125968023_1492409857623870_8218857871726985286_n.jpg

Reaction score
Also is anyone on any of the card group pages on Facebook that does box breaks and people can buy in. Also you can buy/sell/trade cards with people 230CBB27-4091-4F5F-BECA-EB2D862973B4.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)