Sports card collecting (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I recently had a football card box break video pop up in my Youtube recommendations, which has led me to having an itch for ripping open some packs. I used to collect when I was younger, but it's probably been about 20 years since I've bought anything. I already collect enough stuff, so I know I probably shouldn't jump into this, but it's way too much to have a stack of packs waiting to open in hopes that you pull an amazing auto or memorabilia card.

Anybody here do any sports card collecting?

ClayT101

Tee Retriever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I buy and sell oldish cards on eBay. 70's and 80's mainly. I plan to send a bunch off for grading at some point. I also have done pretty well with Drew Brees rookie cards. I wish I would have bought more Brees rookies and fewer Deuce McAllister rookies lol.

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I got a 1976 NOLA Ryan card, Barry rookie, Bonilla rookie. Had found a box of card in attic that I have kept since mid 80s

UndeadSnoopy

Resting in Peace
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't thought about it in a while.

My mom was given some old cards because she mentioned to a friend that I liked them.

Unfortunately, I didn't know their value being a kid. They were handled like playing cards.

Rookie Pete Rose and some other very good cards. Pretty much worthless now.

The Cal Ripken Jr. rookie in mint condition is probably the most valuable I had.

I mentioned the collection is with my son and probably worth a couple of thousand.

Last edited:

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score
I haven't thought about it in a while.

My mom was given some old cards because she mentioned to a friend that I liked them.

Unfortunately, I didn't know their value being a kid. They were handled like playing cards.

The Cal Ripken Jr. rookie in mint condition is probably the most valuable I had.

I mentioned the collection is with my son and probably worth a couple of thousand.
I remember in the 80s as a kid we would put baseball cards on the bike spokes to create a cool sound. Luckily they were 1988 Topps cards pretty much the most worthless set of cards ever. If It were 1986 Donruss set, 1989 Upper deck Ken Griffey Jr rookie card or Frank Thomas Topps Rookie rare error card that would be a different matter

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score

1. I haven't thought about it in a while.

Does anyone remember back in early 90s the great baseball card scam. Commercials on T.V would sell 200 baseball cards from the mid to late 80s for for 10.99. Wal-Mart was into it to. They would sell a cube of cards for 10 dollars garaunteed to be worth 30 bucks.

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been going through some old stuff that I've pulled out of storage because I haven't looked through them in 20+ years. Came across these that I had totally forgotten about pulling out of packs so many years ago. They're nothing extra special money-wise, but it always nice to "find" them again.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Found an old show box in my great- Grandfathers attic a few years back, cards from 60-70 years ago.
Most of the guys I’ve never heard of.....no name guys like Hornus Wagnat or something like that,

OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here's one that a few people here might like that I got in not too long ago:

I'm thinking this one is darn near flawless and may send it in for grading at some point, but it's staying in my personal collection in any regard.

Kielio

Veteran
Reaction score
Here's one that a few people here might like that I got in not too long ago:

I'm thinking this one is darn near flawless and may send it in for grading at some point, but it's staying in my personal collection in any regard.
So THAT'S where Dak got the hip swing thing from!

mattgdg

Rookie
Reaction score
So I used to work for the Huntsville Stars (the first year they were affiliated with the Brewers). I got some different bats and a batting helmet while I was there. Does Minor League stuff carry any kind of value?

Tater

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I use to sell sport card at a flea market in the late 80s and early 90s. Like many said the market got flooded with more companies making the cards. I had boxes upon boxes of cards that I lost in Katrina.
Luckily my most valuable cards were stored high enough to be spared.

I have a binder with saints players from the first year till the 2000's. Have Ripken's Topps rookie, Archie's rookie card and Farve's rookie card.

Been so long since I looked at them that I can't remember who all I have. Even have some saints cards that have been autographed.

Reaction score
I use to collect and now I'm getting back into it. I do more than sports though and do stuff like Pokemon. I've watched some very entertaining videos of people trying to pull those legendary Charizards from $800 original booster packs. Also Magic the Gathering are fun pack opening videos to watch as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)