Stevie Ray Vaughan is the G.O.A.T. Change my mind (1 Viewer)

If we are talking Blues guitarists....SRV is top of the class. What I love about him is that he had this incredible sense of timing that kept him right in the pocket even when he was doing something that didn't start on the one.

Still, for me blues is pretty boring. I would rather listen to Brain May or Hendrix than any of the other guys listed. And Hendrix was quite bluesy as well. EVH was a wizard but their sound has not aged well, IMO. Cheesy songs with both front men.

I just don't like the style of Vaughan, don't shoot, I come in peace. It gives me a headache listening to jazz music. Give me blue collar rock!
I understand that. I like it all .... except country and 99 percent of hip hop. I have a little bit of everything on my playlist.

EVH was a wizard but their sound has not aged well, IMO.
I agree. Van Halen was my jam and I still listen but I don't get that, OMG, it's my jam, feeling anymore. To me now they are like the best "garage band" and I think EVH sorta got lost in all the David Lee antics.

I respect your opinion but apparently you were in a coma during the eighties.

Naw, I remember the first Van Halen record when it came out...it was red hot...as was the band....I was a huge EVH fan until around 81 when my friend turned me onto Rush, Yes, the Dregs and other stuff....I've always liked EVH, but he is not what you would call a dynamic player....he does one genre/one sound incredibly well....I completely respect that he is your guitar god, there are many, many that feel the same....

I agree. Van Halen was my jam and I still listen but I don't get that, OMG, it's my jam, feeling anymore. To me now they are like the best "garage band" and I think EVH sorta got lost in all the David Lee antics.

I guess, but I think the same can be said for all kinds of music. They're timeless for sure, but the feeling isn't the same. But... that's probably just me getting older, lol.

Slide = Derek Trucks

No question. I love Sonny Landreth, he is one of my favorite LA artists...but Trucks has taken the slide guitar to another level, and he is so gracious in paying homage to Duane....and if you ever get a chance to see Tedeschi-Trucks live....for god sakes do it!!!! Susan is like a cross between Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin but better....and the whole band is immensely talented from the backup singers to the horn players and everything in between, I think they are the best band going right now....

Love Govt Mule and Warren Haynes, that show at the Saenger must have been incredible....

Didn't know about the Claypool/Lennon/Geddy thing, that was way cool....I expect Geddy and Alex to start showing up as guests on stuff as I think the passion is still there to play.

As for bass players, I can't believe I forgot to mention Victor Wooten, an absolute giant....but for god sakes, has no one ever heard of Jaco Pastorius????

I guess, but I think the same can be said for all kinds of music. They're timeless for sure, but the feeling isn't the same. But... that's probably just me getting older, lol.
I dunno. There's some songs that come on that I still get that visceral goose bumps (like the first strains of "Pride and Joy" which is by now a really old song) so I don't think it's the age thing. It's just the things that always get you "right there" that may make it your favorite color (pink) or your favorite flower (calla lily), for example. Or favorite animal (horse). I'm sure my dad probably thought, Can't wait till she's out of her horse phase and enters her boy phase. Sure, I "discovered" boys but never outgrew my horse phase. I still act like a 5 year old seeing her first horse whenever I see one.

I'll hang up and wait for the comments.

Not really. What Nirvana did was kill 80s hair metal., bands like Poison, Motley Crue, etc. Not the harder core "pure" metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, etc.

Metal has always been somewhat of a niche. I remember a brief period in the early 90s, where Metallica was popular enough to get into the mianstream consciousness and heard one of their songs on the radio, but beyond that it was never really popular.

Exactly what they did....not a big fan of Nirvana....but for this I will always love them...I believe Faceman has a story to share on this subject....

Wow. No, I don't live in the area anymore so I didn't see it. But I've seen many concerts at the Saenger. Great music venue. Great for plays as well.

That must have been a great show. Now I'll have to find the live album. Didn't know it existed, but I do now. :9:

Thanks!

Yeah it is base allstars.

On the studio stuff it is even crazier

The deep end vol 1

Is

Bass players

Allen Woody ("Sin's a Good Man's Brother")
Jack Bruce ("Fool's Moon")
Oteil Burbridge ("Worried Down With the Blues")
Bootsy Collins ("Tear Me Down")
John Entwistle ("Same Price")
Flea ("Down and Out in New York City")
Roger Glover ("Maybe I'm a Leo")
Mike Gordon ("Banks of the Deep End", "Jesus Just Left Chicago")
Larry Graham ("Life on the Outside")
Stefan Lessard ("Beautifully Broken")
Dave Schools ("Blind Man in the Dark", "Fallen Down")
Mike Watt ("Effigy")
Willie Weeks ("Soulshine")
Chris Wood ("Sco-Mule")

Vol 2

Is

Bass players
Jack Casady ("Slow Happy Boys")
Les Claypool ("Greasy Granny's Gopher Gravy" Pts. 1 & 2, "Drivin' Rain")
Billy Cox ("Catfish Blues")
Alphonso Johnson ("Babylon Turnpike")
Phil Lesh ("Lay of the Sunflower")
Tony Levin ("World of Confusion")
Meshell Ndegeocello ("Hammer and Nails")
Jason Newsted ("Trying Not to Fall")
George Porter, Jr. ("Time to Confess")
Rocco Prestia ("What Is Hip?")
Dave Schools ("Which Way Do We Run?", "Rockin' Horse", "Lay Your Burden Down")
Chris Squire ("Sun Dance")
Chris Wood ("Sco-Mule")

It is such an awesome way to honor you fallen base player by playing with who he respected and influenced him rather than replace him in the next album.

Actually it is about the coolest ever.

I dunno. There's some songs that come on that I still get that visceral goose bumps (like the first strains of "Pride and Joy" which is by now a really old song) so I don't think it's the age thing. It's just the things that always get you "right there" that may make it your favorite color (pink) or your favorite flower (calla lily), for example. Or favorite animal (horse). I'm sure my dad probably thought, Can't wait till she's out of her horse phase and enters her boy phase. Sure, I "discovered" boys but never outgrew my horse phase. I still act like a 5 year old seeing her first horse whenever I see one.

I'll hang up and wait for the comments.

No snarky comments from me. It makes a lot of sense. The age thing was sorta tongue in cheek anyway. I mean, when I hear certain songs, even bad ones, it takes me to another place pretty often.

I can't compete with horses tho. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom