Sucking carbon out of the air (1 Viewer)

Won’t this hurt trees?

I doubt it - unless so much carbon is removed from the air that is actually results in air that has less carbon in it than before the human industrial carbonization process began . . . which seems highly unlikely to me, it can't be that easy. But trees were fine for hundreds of millions of years - most of which was in a time of less carbon than we have now.

But the real issue is carbon in the upper atmosphere right? I'm curious about how all the dynamics work and whether this is genuinely able to meaningfully reduce carbon (or even if it were deployed at scale) - or if it's just an interesting thing some Icelanders are doing.

How much carbon does the unit create?

I doubt it - unless so much carbon is removed from the air that is actually results in air that has less carbon in it than before the human industrial carbonization process began . . . which seems highly unlikely to me, it can't be that easy. But trees were fine for hundreds of millions of years - most of which was in a time of less carbon than we have now.

But the real issue is carbon in the upper atmosphere right? I'm curious about how all the dynamics work and whether this is genuinely able to meaningfully reduce carbon (or even if it were deployed at scale) - or if it's just an interesting thing some Icelanders are doing.

How much carbon does the unit create?

FWIW "The whole operation will be powered by Iceland’s abundant, clean geothermal energy."

But, obviously there are other factors like transporting the materials and chemcials, etc. and apparently there are some concerns that the process uses too much energy. But, it does seem like an interesting idea.

What I'm curious about is how are they making money or getting funding for all this? It sounds like a private company so they would see to need to be making money somehow.

Huh. Wouldn't planting a bunch of trees been cheaper?
Yes, and equally effective. But "carbon capture" has the benefit of no one knowing how ineffective it is yet.

We all know planting trees won't get us out of this mess. Neither will carbon capture, but it will continue to get pushed as a solution by the world's main polluters until everyone catches on.

Trees would also take decades before they were doing anything substantial, wouldn't they? I imagine saplings aren't doing much scrubbing.

But I am not speaking from any sort of expertise here.

Trees would also take decades before they were doing anything substantial, wouldn't they? I imagine saplings aren't doing much scrubbing.

But I am not speaking from any sort of expertise here.

I read that Iceland doesn’t have a lot of trees because they need the space for livestock grazing.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title:

f92722dc-8c0c-401f-b518-45480c068850_text.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom