Super Bowl Sunday (3 Viewers)

Why did 49ers get conservative at the 4 yard line and kick a FG in OT?

It really doesn't make sense to kick a field goal. Go for the win. Forcing Mahomes to play 4 down football is dumb. You literally take pressure off them knowing they got 4 plays to get 10 yards
In hindsight, sure, but not a coach in the league would do that...well, maybe one, lol.

In hindsight, sure, but not a coach in the league would do that...well, maybe one, lol.

The answer is always, it depends on the situation. Campbell went for it on 4th and turned out to be wrong and now people will second guess Shanahan for kicking the FG. The difference is the 49ers were in the game longer.

The answer is always, it depends on the situation. Campbell went for it on 4th and turned out to be wrong and now people will second guess Shanahan for kicking the FG. The difference is the 49ers were in the game longer.
Not really the exact same situation. That said, Campbell made the right call. They just got robbed in plain sight. That was one of the most jacked up calls I've ever seen since the no call vs the Rams.

Otoh, in the SB, with 7 minutes left in OT, you kick and make a much higher percentage FG and hope your defense fades Mahomes, or you go for a much lower percentage play to try and win the game there.

I wouldn't mind a coach making that decision, but I'd be surprised for one not named Campbell to go for it in that spot.

Put Mahomes on the 4th yard line. Ehhhh... Get a TD or stick Mahomes in bad field position.

It's a gamble. Kicking FG still resulted in an L. I don't understand why 49er elected to receive since they couldn't outright win on the 1st drive.

Not really the exact same situation. That said, Campbell made the right call. They just got robbed in plain sight. That was one of the most jacked up calls I've ever seen since the no call vs the Rams.

Otoh, in the SB, with 7 minutes left in OT, you kick and make a much higher percentage FG and hope your defense fades Mahomes, or you go for a much lower percentage play to try and win the game there.

I wouldn't mind a coach making that decision, but I'd be surprised for one not named Campbell to go for it in that spot.

I forgot this is where a certain coach catches strays for no reason.

Put Mahomes on the 4th yard line. Ehhhh... Get a TD or stick Mahomes in bad field position.

It's a gamble. Kicking FG still resulted in an L. I don't understand why 49er elected to receive since they couldn't outright win on the 1st drive.
What? In OT you elect to receive every. single. time. You score a TD first, opponent is toast. It's why some argue Shanahan should have gone for the TD on 4th and goal rather than kick the FG. A TD immediately ends the game.

What? In OT you elect to receive every. single. time. You score a TD first, opponent is toast. It's why some argue Shanahan should have gone for the TD on 4th and goal rather than kick the FG. A TD immediately ends the game.
Not anymore in the postseason. Even if the first team gets a touchdown, the other team still gets a possession. If it’s tied after both teams have had a possession then it goes to sudden death.

Nope. They changed the rules. Both teams gets a possession even if they score a TD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom