Take The Rose Colored Glasses Off........ (5 Viewers)

After the 2019 season Drew was planning to retire and that is when Sean and Tom Brady started communicating about the idea of Tom stepping in to QB our Super Bowl ready team (tampering).

When Drew found out shortly afterwards, he decided to return for one more year, even though his arm was technically shot. Loomis supported Drew’s return and rebuffed the Brady idea that Sean favored.

The Miami owner was already trying to get Brady to the Dolphins (tampering) and then began pushing for Brady and Payton to come to MIA and so much so that he would eventually force out his current HC (Flores). (All of this was tampering).

Once word of this got out, Sean was essentially forced to back out and stay with Drew for 2020. Loomis sided with Drew against Sean and Brady, essentially.

This led Brady to sign with Tampa so he could get payback on Drew, Loomis, and Sean (though Sean was blamed the least by Brady).

Sean essentially had to agree to stay in NO for 2021 as well, in part to avoid a real investigation into tampering and especially after Flores sued the NFL.

Once Jameis got hurt and the 2021 season ended without a playoff appearance, Sean was ready to go. He was over Loomis siding with Drew and preventing him from going to Miami. He sat one year to let the tampering issue totally die down and took the train to Denver.

Sean and Loomis might still be “friends,” but there was a power struggle between them that Loomis ultimately won and Saints fans ultimately lost.

I must say that is the most detailed explanation I have ever read about that subject. I never realized that Drew was that petty. Doesn't change my admiration for him as one of the best Saints players, or the best Saints player ever. It is something I never realized. I will take you at your word that it is true. I just never did that much research into Sean and the Miami Dolphin deal and the Brady deal to know if it was true or not. But it does make a lot of sense.

I must say that is the most detailed explanation I have ever read about that subject. I never realized that Drew was that petty.
petty would be a fan framing (obviously), but these are incredibly driven athletes - like i doubt any of us have a solid notion of what it takes (mentally, physically, luck) to get to that level - like if any of us worked with a coworker who had the drive of an elite athlete, they would be our least favorite colleague by a wide margin and we would question their mental health

Michael Jordan quit basketball and tried to be a baseball player - they can't just turn that competitive switch off

petty would be a fan framing (obviously), but these are incredibly driven athletes - like i doubt any of us have a solid notion of what it takes (mentally, physically, luck) to get to that level - like if any of us worked with a coworker who had the drive of an elite athlete, they would be our least favorite colleague by a wide margin and we would question their mental health

Michael Jordan quit basketball and tried to be a baseball player - they can't just turn that competitive switch off

Good point. Petty may be wrong word. I guess it could be one of those "I'll show you I'm not done yet" type things.

Dude explicitly stated in the post that the Chiefs were also injured & figured it out. Unlike us. Fire DA.
KC didnt have to figure how to win with a 5th Round rookie draft pick and no starting center. Look how black SF looks without CM. (THILL) Like i said before, the Saints literally have a valid excuse to blame injuries. But this seems to happen every year, and that's a problem. Its as if the MED staff gets paid "per injury" and earns double pay for each day a player misses. lol

I think ML is slowly trying to change how they do the cap but it's going to take some time and not trading for players like Devante Adams or signing players like Derek Carr. Signing Carr really slowed down the process on that.

Anyway, I agree with you about ML's relationship with Payton. If Payton was really disgruntled with the front office, he would have leaked that to the press or just come out and said it. Sean is nothing if not petty.

Unfortunately Sean also had DA's back and pushed for him to get the HC job which I think was give to him, at least in part, because ML is friends with and trusts Sean's judgment on all things football.
I think Sean wanted to go and he made a business decision. Had he stayed 2 more years without Drew Brees, the world would've figured out that he's just a decent coach, no more no less. So he pushed his way out to retain his perceived $ value. (hindsight proves this fact) Had he drafted Mahomes, he'd still be here. I think ML got a year extra from Sean in the same manner that we lured Pete Carmichael to take over the OC. (basically sales pitched/pleaded) Because the facts show that SP was tampering with Miami and Tom Brady. Even SP said that he wasn't a lifer, not because he was bored with NOLA, but because he knew he needed another Drew Brees or similar. When JW got injured, that was a wrap.

I must say that is the most detailed explanation I have ever read about that subject. I never realized that Drew was that petty. Doesn't change my admiration for him as one of the best Saints players, or the best Saints player ever. It is something I never realized. I will take you at your word that it is true. I just never did that much research into Sean and the Miami Dolphin deal and the Brady deal to know if it was true or not. But it does make a lot of sense.
That situation was real enough for Miami to get hit with tampering and losing a draft pick. There’s probably a lot more to the story than we’ll ever know.

I don’t think Drew was petty, just an all time great competitor that didn’t want to share the legacy of his last Saints team with his biggest rival.

I disagree bc ML is still using the same ideology that was here when he catered to SP. I think it was as simple as SP just wanted to coach another team.
Plus, if ML and SP had any kind of differences, little or great, then ML would’ve been at least a little perturbed that SP was going behind his back talking to other teams. ML protected him by not ousting him. I believe that they are supremely great friends and has each other’s backs until the end of time
I also believe that as well. Florio’s book had a bit about how Sean Payton to Dallas was a done deal, but for Anthony Davis demanding a trade to the Lakers. Mickey asked Sean not to make him have a week where he loses Payton and Anthony Davis all in the same week, Payton agreed to an extension and the trade never happened.

There is so much to unpack there. 1.) Payton puts off taking his dream job to help his buddy out. 2.) and most importantly what does that say about Sean Payton?

Here we are like 8 days after the NOLA no call and Sean Payton is about to abandon the Saints and the city for Dallas. Not only abandon the Saints but for all that’s made about Brees and Payton, Payton would have been abandoning him as well. Then the following season it was Payton trying to hook up with Brady either here or with the Dolphins in Miami.

I respect the heck out of Payton but all of that kind of dampened my opinion of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom