The best thing the Saints could do by Alvin Kamara is to trade him to a contender. (25 Viewers)

100%

I really don’t understand the logic either.

It's about opportunity costs and the danger that you end up being forced to keep a guy after he declines and is no longer a good player. Unfortunately, Cam Jordan is an object lesson on why it's better to lose a guy a year too early than a year too late. Especially when you had to add void years to their contract in order to get the deal done. If we had not given Jordan that deal, the money could have been spent on good player that is not declining.

And I love Cam and what he has done for this community, but the players know it's a business and it's why they won't sign for below market value. (Brees being an exception.) And it's why the team has to treat it like a business too.

I say the Saints should leave it up to him. If he wants to go you do your best to make his wish if possible. If he wants to stay and be a part of a rebuild he should know his pay may not be what he wants. Investing heavily in a 30+ year old RB doesnt work in a rebuild.

a year early is better than 3 years too late.

It's about opportunity costs and the danger that you end up being forced to keep a guy after he declines and is no longer a good player. Unfortunately, Cam Jordan is an object lesson on why it's better to lose a guy a year too early than a year too late. Especially when you had to add void years to their contract in order to get the deal done. If we had not given Jordan that deal, the money could have been spent on good player that is not declining.

And I love Cam and what he has done for this community, but the players know it's a business and it's why they won't sign for below market value. (Brees being an exception.) And it's why the team has to treat it like a business too.
I'm pulling for Cam and he's the perfect example of the type of player that you'd want on your team and in your city. Truthfully, he's been on a decline for more than a year now. I don't think AK has fell into this territory yet. Nothing about his play has suggested that we should be looking to move on from him pretty soon. If anything, the Saints have failed to provide a legit backup for him.

I'm pulling for Cam and he's the perfect example of the type of player that you'd want on your team and in your city. Truthfully, he's been on a decline for more than a year now. I don't think AK has fell into this territory yet. Nothing about his play has suggested that we should be looking to move on from him pretty soon. If anything, the Saints have failed to provide a legit backup for him.

I agree AK is playing well now and doesn't look like he will decline. But when the decline happens for RBs, it seems to happen almost immediately. Hard to know if he can keep it up for another 2 or 3 years. But, yes, whether he stays or goes they need good quality youth at RB. Miller showed some promise against the Broncos hopefully he can stay healthy and improve his blitz pickup. But, I think we need another young, talented RB behind Kamar or to pair with Miller.

I agree AK is playing well now and doesn't look like he will decline. But when the decline happens for RBs, it seems to happen almost immediately. Hard to know if he can keep it up for another 2 or 3 years. But, yes, whether he stays or goes they need good quality youth at RB. Miller showed some promise against the Broncos hopefully he can stay healthy and improve his blitz pickup. But, I think we need another young, talented RB behind Kamar or to pair with Miller.
Just spread the 25 mil out over 2 or 3 years that way he goes out a Saint. I know a few were saying this prior to the season start and it the best thing to do for culture, the player, and the organization. Hopefully Miller and Mims can step up. Also, RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft, so we should be good. We just need the depth.

I hate to say it but the Cowboys need a Running Back... . I would Throw up seeing him in that uniform , but might be the best Compensation....
Trading a player in 2024 isn't worth it. At the very best we might get a 3rd or 4th round pick.

One of my favorite Saints ever, but its time to move him. ASAP, to the highest bidder.

Just spread the 25 mil out over 2 or 3 years that way he goes out a Saint. I know a few were saying this prior to the season start and it the best thing to do for culture, the player, and the organization. Hopefully Miller and Mims can step up. Also, RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft, so we should be good. We just need the depth.

My heart says yes but my head says no. I think it's okay to do a deal in the $7 million AAV range for 2 or 3 years with Kamara, though 3 years might be too long. But as you said, RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft which is why logically it makes sense to move on from AK even if it is a year or two early. Losing him would be a big hit to the culture, but if he hits the wall next year it's better than having $7 million on the books for him for two years after he hits the wall.

But, it's all moot because according to Underhill they have reopened negotiations with Kamara so they clearly do plan to extend him. And if they do, I won't be mad about it. It will be good for the culture and I love Kamar. But I will be concerned that he ends up hitting the RB wall before his deal is over.

There is zero reason to pay Kamara more than 9-10 million apy for the next 3 years. We'll be spreading his void years and eating this contract for a bit. He's not even a fulltime running back.

There is zero reason to pay Kamara more than 9-10 million apy for the next 3 years. We'll be spreading his void years and eating this contract for a bit. He's not even a fulltime running back.

What do you mean he's not even a full time RB? He's been getting 25 or more touches per game this season. And he now seldom even splits out.

What do you mean he's not even a full time RB? He's been getting 25 or more touches per game this season. And he now seldom even splits out.
Yep. AK is leading the league in touches with 4 more than Derrick Henry.

1.Alvin Kamara • NOR145
2.Derrick Henry • BAL141
3.Jordan Mason • SFO138
4.Josh Jacobs • GNB136
5.Najee Harris • PIT131
6.Kyren Williams • LAR130
7.Breece Hall • NYJ127
Bijan Robinson • ATL127
9.Chuba Hubbard • CAR125
10.Saquon Barkley • PHI

he's not built for this usage and its taking a big toll on his body this year. he's never carried this volume prior to this year. Has never accrued a 1000 yd rushing season. He's just the type of back you want to continue to have a nice complimentary to and keep fresh. You can argue all you want but AK is not really a back you want absorbing the volume as maybe some others do. But that is also helping prolong alvin's longevity hopefully.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom