The best thing the Saints could do by Alvin Kamara is to trade him to a contender. (34 Viewers)

I think you missed his point. He's saying that the trade should be to whoever offers the most value. It should be restricted to trading him to contenders only.
What non-contender is going to trade for a 30 year old RB with one massively overpriced year remaining on his contract? Of course we should maximize his trade value, but I don’t think we need to pretend that a team that’s out of contention is going to offer us anything of value.

What non-contender is going to trade for a 30 year old RB with one massively overpriced year remaining on his contract? Of course we should maximize his trade value, but I don’t think we need to pretend that a team that’s out of contention is going to offer us anything of value.

The Jets just traded for a very similar player to Kamara in Davante Adams and they certainly aren't a contender. And Kamara is 29 and Adams is 31. Not that he would net a 2nd or 3rd but every pick is valuable for a team with no depth. But if you really want names, maybe Dallas or any team near .500 who thinks a RB upgrade might get them into the playoffs.

The money remaining on his contract after this year can be gotten rid of by cutting him with no cap implications. And any team trading for him would no doubt renegotiate his deal and give him an extension just like Davante Adams.

Anyway, it's all academic, he doesn't want to be traded so it's highly unlikely to happen. No team is giving up anything worthwhile if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract and extend with them.

I know it's not the best thing for the Saints, but at the same point if they can get a reasonable deal done around $7 or $8 AAV for two more years then it's not the worst thing in the world. He's still got plenty left if they can get him any blocking and he is a team leader. But, they really need to find a young RB or two to pair with him to cut down on his touches. Miller looked good when given a chance on Thursday. If he can learn to pick up blitzes, he might be one of those guys.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, since a couple of posters asked… I am just a fan, not an insider with special information lol

I think it would be great to see Kamara play with a team that has a chance for the Super Bowl, but that’s just my opinion. Plus the Saints need picks.

The Saints owe AK nothing! He's been well paid for an above average running back. The Saints should do what best for the Saints.
Above average? Nah he’s been and is better than that.

And the chiefs are rolling with Kareem Hunt (not as good as Alvin) and the Bills have James Cook (the lite version of Kamara)

Didn't we try this back in 2013? Shipped out all the vets and sucked for like 4 years until the FO hit on a draft? As I have said before, you have to build up your culture so you are seen as taking care of your guys. In my opinion, that's how you attract free agents that are coveted (well, that and cap space).

Didn't we try this back in 2013? Shipped out all the vets and sucked for like 4 years until the FO hit on a draft? As I have said before, you have to build up your culture so you are seen as taking care of your guys. In my opinion, that's how you attract free agents that are coveted (well, that and cap space).

I agree and I think having veteran team leaders like Kamar, Mathieu, Davis, and Cam is important to show the younger players how to be a professional. At the same point, you can't give Cam the kind of contract they gave him last year at his age. And you especially shouldn't do it by putting void years at the end of an already too long and too expensive contract for an at the time 34 year-old DE. But frankly they were in a position at the time where because they missed on Davenport, Turner, and Foskey, they felt they needed to keep Cam at all costs. But that was clearly a mistake because he is a shadow of what he used to be.

And while I love Kamara, there is a contract length and contract number that would be too big of a risk to sign Kamara to. Maybe they get a reasonable deal and maybe he can keep playing at the level he is at, but it is a big risk on a soon to be 30 RB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom