The DRC hype.... (1 Viewer)

Usama Young would have gotten more attention if he were invited to the combine. I would love to see DRC and Usama Young as our starting cornerbacks in a few years.

in 2-3 years that would be sick
i think usama will develop into a top 10 cb in this league in later years

When you say "NFL experts" are you talking about the guys who talk about the NFL on TV and write about it in papers and on the internet? If so, yes, I do think that they fall for hype and just say things without watching tape. I serious doubt that Deion Sanders spends a lot of time breaking down film of DRC or any other player.

Considering Deion is personally training with DRC for the sole purpose of working with him and making him more elite, yes I do think he has spent time breaking down his film.

The only reason DRC is subject to the "well you didnt see him play" argument is because everyone knows people havent. Those same people that say that claim they like other prospects that they have never seen play as well but since they went to big schools, that argument does not come up.

I really like the senior bowl , because it put players on an even playing field, and he showed he could play. But they use vanila defense and at the next level he is a long way from the finished product some of them are.

I would pick 1.Mike Jenkins 2. DRC 3. Aqib Talib 4. Mckelvin . only because I want a playmaker that can intercept the ball and run very fast, Draft boards before the hype in December couldn't decide which Jenkins was better Mike or Michael and then only one came out.

Maybe the Big East is not the Pac-10, but USF is NOT a Small school. The Best Secondary in the NCAA was at USF, and Jenkins is the reason. They played AUB, WVA, Louis, and a few other good teams, and plenty who have solid passing games. Jenkins has been there and done that at an elite level, for 2 years. Not 1 all-star game, and 1 workout.

BTW Not 1 Person could explain why DRC did not transfer after a year or 2 at Tn St.

Maybe the Big East is not the Pac-10, but USF is NOT a Small school. The Best Secondary in the NCAA was at USF, and Jenkins is the reason. They played AUB, WVA, Louis, and a few other good teams, and plenty who have solid passing games. Jenkins has been there and done that at an elite level, for 2 years. Not 1 all-star game, and 1 workout.

BTW Not 1 Person could explain why DRC did not transfer after a year or 2 at Tn St.

Maybe he decided it wouldn't be worth it to sit out a year from college. There are many reasons players don't transfer. You don't transfer to a 1-A school just because you are too elite for your level. 1-AA isn't JUCO.

Do you even know the circumstances to why he had to go to Tennessee State?

His dad was in the army. He went to four different schools four different years, and only played football his last year, when his team went 5-5.
His dad's best friend is the defensive coordinator of TSU. So he went to play football there. There was NO chance he was getting to go anywhere else.
He didn't transfer because he had finally settled somewhere having lived in 4 different places in 4 years. Also his dad would not allow him due to his connection with the Rod Reed.

Tenn St. may have a great Academic program, and Yes I understand it is not JUCO. But Samford, Murray St and Eastern Illinois ? not exactley hotbeds for Wide outs. My simple point is this.

PROVEN TALENT vs WORKOUT WARRIOR.... no contest...

It would help drastically, if the people on this board would simply do a little research.

DRC's profile speaks for itself. Honestly, Small school, big school, it really doesn't matter.

If the people posting on this board can't watch footage (and yes, the little footage that is available), and see that this kids athletic gifts are light years beyond the kids he played against, then so be it.

Thats how people like Cutis Enis, Robert Gallery, Jonathan Sullivan, and many others get picked in the top 10. While kids like Rashean Mathis go on to become pro-bowlers.

It's all about the "eye", some have it, some don't. Bill Walsh Had it, Bill parcells has it, Bill Belichick has it, Ozzie Newsome has it (excluding Kyle Boller). Its no knock against any particular poster/person. NFL execs get paid boatloads of money to make bone head decisions every year. I mean, Calvin Pace just got paid 42 million dollars and Jeff Faine is the richest center in NFL history (go figure). And yes, the Lions passed on Adrian Peterson: so did the Browns, Bucs, and Cardinals.

You either recognize the talent or you don't. People have differenitated views of talent, thats why there a thousand rankings, mock drafts, tv shows, etc. The perception of "talent" is in the eye of the beholder.

And in my eyes, DRC is the #1 corner in this draft.

Followed by, Smith from OU, who is commonly listed as a safety, even though he played corner 90% of the time.

And Talib.

When I see someone post that DRC's past level of competition doesn't matter I get the visual picture of a swooning fan. DRC has some catching up to do and he might do it very quickly but to just dismiss an obvious legitmate concern in regards to his game is just unfounded bias.

Last edited:
no one seen colston or evans play in college either and look how they turned out!

When I see someone post that DRC's past level of competition doesn't matter I get the visual picture of a swooning fan. DRC has some catching up to do and he might do it very quickly but to just dismiss an obvious legitmate concern in regards to his game is just unfounded bias.

Problem is, there are numerous examples that show the talent level around the athlete doesn't matter. You have to be able to judge the individual talent, not the people around him.

Steve McNair was the #3 pick overall out of Alcorn state.
Walter Payton, Jackson State
Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State,
Aneas Williams, Southern,
Rashean Mathis, Bethune Cookman
Demarcus Ware, Troy,
Marques Colston, Hofstra
Tomlinson, TCU
Dickerson, SMU

And Im sure the list goes far beyond that (Im fully aware that some of the programs listed are D I programs, but you get the point).

Believe me, it is not just "hype" that has boosted DRC into the top tier of talent.

Scouts have finally paid attention, and when you I watch the tape (though limited), I see everything I need to see.

No one just handed this kid the Senior Bowl MVP. He earned it. There were 50 other athletes there with the same opportunity.

Same with Matt Forte out of Tulane. Dont be surprised to see him go in the late first, to Early Second round.

Mel Kiper has him going 7th to the Pats.

Mike Mayock has him in his top 20 draft prospects.

Vic Carruci has us taking him at 10.

Those are the three big names off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom