The Future of Prisons??? (2 Viewers)

Total Rehab
You do know or have heard rumors that its strongly inferred at the end of the original 1990 movie with Arnold that he gets prefrontal lobe lobotomy and that the entire film's events was in fact, just a highly-believable dream?

This is what you get from the "Time Out" Generation.
It's the parents who created the time out generation. Just like it's the parents who created participation trophies not for their children, but for themselves because they can't bear the notion the little Ashton a) stinks at sports, or b) just doesn't want to play sports.

It's the parents who created the time out generation. Just like it's the parents who created participation trophies not for their children, but for themselves because they can't bear the notion the little Ashton a) stinks at sports, or b) just doesn't want to play sports.
Time outs and participation trophies...same parents, lol.

Can we just bring back judicial corporal punishment?

The age of cameras reduces the need for eye witness testimony. Incarceration for minor property crimes separates people from families and jobs at significant expense the public. A better solution is caning and parole.

Can we just bring back judicial corporal punishment?

The age of cameras reduces the need for eye witness testimony. Incarceration for minor property crimes separates people from families and jobs at significant expense the public. A better solution is caning and parole.
No, we need to collectively get over our punishment fetish
Let restorative justice be between offender and offended (with mitigator) and we can move past the public spectacle of crime and punishment

No, we need to collectively get over our punishment fetish
Let restorative justice be between offender and offended (with mitigator) and we can move past the public spectacle of crime and punishment

I’m all for restorative justice. However, people respond to different stimuli. Not everyone will positively respond (not repeat offend) to restorative justice. Not all victims have a desire to participate in that process. Solutions often need both a carrot and stick approach. The stick should be rare and have a high bar for use, but it should be an option.

I’m all for restorative justice. However, people respond to different stimuli. Not everyone will positively respond (not repeat offend) to restorative justice. Not all victims have a desire to participate in that process. Solutions often need both a carrot and stick approach. The stick should be rare and have a high bar for use, but it should be an option.
Usually for the stick approach, I want to see what has been done to try and prevent crime in the first place
If a society has worked hard to create social and economic disparity and then kneejerk reaches for a big stick when someone predictably acts out against that disparity the stick is a signal to me that the society WANTS to punish- and I’m not cool with that

I guess you have to ask yourself whether you want justice or vengence. And are they both the same thing. Let's say there is a convicted serial rapist. Do you want him to serve 30+ years behind bars or do you want him completely rehabbed in 2 months and back on the street? What if your daughter was one of the victims, how would you feel? What if your daughter was 10 years old?
My thoughts would be the same, I think. I want both, justice and vengence. Rehab him so that he would never even think of raping again, then sit him behind bars for 30+ years with all that regret and remorse we just beamed into his head.

I guess you have to ask yourself whether you want justice or vengence. And are they both the same thing. Let's say there is a convicted serial rapist. Do you want him to serve 30+ years behind bars or do you want him completely rehabbed in 2 months and back on the street? What if your daughter was one of the victims, how would you feel? What if your daughter was 10 years old?
My thoughts would be the same, I think. I want both, justice and vengence. Rehab him so that he would never even think of raping again, then sit him behind bars for 30+ years with all that regret and remorse we just beamed into his head.
Let me exaggerate and push your metaphor a bit
What if the offender was drugged or under hypnotic control (winter soldier like) and they were compelled into their heinous crimes by some outside entity
You could use the brain rescrambler to break the hood the entity had
Would you still want them to sit in prison thinking about the crimes they may not be fully aware they committed?

Let me exaggerate and push your metaphor a bit
What if the offender was drugged or under hypnotic control (winter soldier like) and they were compelled into their heinous crimes by some outside entity
You could use the brain rescrambler to break the hood the entity had
Would you still want them to sit in prison thinking about the crimes they may not be fully aware they committed?
Well, no, because in your hypothetical, it wasn't them that did the crime, right? I would want the entity behind the "needle in the neck" to pay the price instead. But, how many "pizza delivery guy with a bomb" crimes do we really have to deal with? Now, if the person in question was high because he took drugs on his own free will, then, yes, but not if someone drugged him unknowingly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom