The idea was floated of (Changes in the cap system) (1 Viewer)

There is already a huge inequality between teams with franchise QBs and teams without franchise QBs. Capping what a QB can make would make that gulf even wider, and lessen the importance of every other position on the roster even more than they already are.

Hard caps on individual player salaries typically hurt parity. The max salary in the NBA is what has allowed the movement towards super teams over the last 7-8 years. They are trying to "fix" that with the supermax contract, but that's a bandaid on an axe wound.

If you're old school and you like dynasties like we had prior to the salary cap with Dallas, SF, and Pittsburgh, then this is a move that will push it that way. Myself, I prefer parity. I think it makes the league far more interesting and exciting than a league where the teams with the five best QBs go into every season as the favorites.

Bad idea IMO. Let the players get paid whatever the teams believe they're worth. If a team wants to pay an elite QB $70mm/year, knowing that they will suffer at other positions, let them. That's the beauty of the salary cap. Every team has full freedom and autonomy over how they want to distribute their cap and which positions they place value on. There's no reason to create a nanny state for them.
Giving a team flexibility with one player is hardly creating a nanny state. There are 11 starting players on each side of the ball. Allowing a team more resources to retain good players they drafted will not destroy parity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom