The idea was floated of (Changes in the cap system) (1 Viewer)

Then big-market teams could out-spend other teams, by paying $60M for their quarterback...

Every decision has a risk and a consequence.

The idea is to use this "exception" on a player drafted by the team that will use it. It is obviously for a second contract. No doubt the saints would have use it on Brees. The texans may have used it on J.J. Watt since they were paying Watson on a rookie contract. Obviously the Chiefs will use it on Mahomes.

But think about it, would the niners use it on Garoppolo or one of their brilliant defensive ends?

The saints and patriots right now will be thinking twice on using it on Brees and Brady.

I don't think bigger markets will have an advantage. Mahomes will be the best player pretty soon. And even if he was out of the cap, agents will take this contract as a reference for quarterbacks.

The thing is, top players (specially quarterbacks) are taking a bigger percentage of the cap. Keeping one player out will help re-distribute salaries on second level players, in my opinion.

Do you want super teams or do you want parity... this is how you get super teams.

Don't think so. It is only one player.

And teams will be very careful on assigning this exemption. If they pick the wrong player, they could be in problems for a 5 year period. That is the beauty of the 5 year deal, it is a long term commitment. If you fail, you really loose competitive advantage.

There should be some type of relief for teams that hit on the draft that you can resign your own players and exceed the cap. The Saints will suffer from one of the greatest drafts of all time because the cap will limit the ability to resign that class...
This is kinda like what they have in the NBA where the team that a player is currently on can offer a bigger contract to a player on their team than other teams can offer them.

There is already a huge inequality between teams with franchise QBs and teams without franchise QBs. Capping what a QB can make would make that gulf even wider, and lessen the importance of every other position on the roster even more than they already are.

Hard caps on individual player salaries typically hurt parity. The max salary in the NBA is what has allowed the movement towards super teams over the last 7-8 years. They are trying to "fix" that with the supermax contract, but that's a bandaid on an axe wound.

If you're old school and you like dynasties like we had prior to the salary cap with Dallas, SF, and Pittsburgh, then this is a move that will push it that way. Myself, I prefer parity. I think it makes the league far more interesting and exciting than a league where the teams with the five best QBs go into every season as the favorites.

Bad idea IMO. Let the players get paid whatever the teams believe they're worth. If a team wants to pay an elite QB $70mm/year, knowing that they will suffer at other positions, let them. That's the beauty of the salary cap. Every team has full freedom and autonomy over how they want to distribute their cap and which positions they place value on. There's no reason to create a nanny state for them.

Last edited:
Thinking about this in terms of general principles, it doesn't seem right that a team that hits it big in the draft will eventually get penalized in effect years later. On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair to reward them too much. We need a solution that provides a better balance.

Thinking about this in terms of general principles, it doesn't seem right that a team that hits it big in the draft will eventually get penalized in effect years later. On the other hand, it doesn't seem fair to reward them too much. We need a solution that provides a better balance.

For all of what I said about the NBA, they do actually do some things right, like allowing exceptions that encourage teams to sign veterans as they cost "less" towards the cap than they are actually paying them. They also have bird rights and some other machinations that allow teams to keep their own players at a discounted salary cap rate. Sprinkling a bit of that in there would be a plus, IMO.

I know the players wouldn’t be for it because they want guaranteed money but I think all contracts should be heavily performance based. Have an nice but fair base salary and then everything else is performance driven; snaps, yards, catches, TD’s, tackles, sacks, INT’s, awards, pro bowl, etc. Makes the player actually earn the money instead of teams paying for past performances

This would be terrible for the quality of play in the NFL. Everyone would be playing for stats. Every player would play selfishly and outside of what needs to be done for the team. The game would suffer dramatically.

This would be terrible for the quality of play in the NFL. Everyone would be playing for stats. Every player would play selfishly and outside of what needs to be done for the team. The game would suffer dramatically.

I don’t see how it would be any different. Believe it or not players play for stats, that’s what they use to negotiate their contracts. That’s why players usually play their best the final season of their contracts.

I don’t see how it would be any different. Believe it or not players play for stats, that’s what they use to negotiate their contracts. That’s why players usually play their best the final season of their contracts.

It would be completely different. Yes, some players play for stats. But players would quite literally only play for stats. Every single one of them. There would be absolutely no incentive to be a team player, to do the little things that teams need to win. Your defensive ends would never ever play run, they'd just be trying to sack the QB every play. Your safeties would gamble on every single play. Your secondary would be giving up huge, huge plays on a constant basis because they'd all be gambling for picks instead of playing fundamental coverage. Quarterbacks would audible out of runs whenever possible. On and on and on. There would be constant locker room issues. There would be constant issues between players and the coaches.

It would be a Tijuana donkey show.

Last edited:
QB salaries are getting ridiculous. In the next 5 years they are going to be very near $50 million and that is just stupid money.

If I were a coach and or GM I would look very seriously at a Trent Dilfer model. Build up a superior QB killer defense and run the offense through a QB that will not lose you a game. Spread that high QB salary savings to OL and WR.

Let the rest of the league chase the high salary QB craze.

Another interesting idea would be to put a % cap on the team’s highest paid player.

example: The 2019 Salary cap was $188.2 million. If the cap is 20%, the highest paid player on the team couldn’t exceed $37.64 million. That leaves some flexibility for growing salary caps. But I can’t see the players agreeing to that.

It would be completely different. Yes, some players play for stats. But players would quite literally only play for stats. Every single one of them. There would be absolutely no incentive to be a team player, to do the little things that teams need to win. Your defensive ends would never ever play run, they'd just be trying to sack the QB every play. Your safeties would gamble on every single play. Your secondary would be giving up huge, huge plays on a constant basis because they'd all be gambling for picks instead of playing fundamental coverage. Quarterbacks would audible out of runs whenever possible. On and on and on. There would be constant locker room issues. There would be constant issues between players and the coaches.

It would be a Tijuana donkey show.

that would be on the Coach, if said player is not doing his job you play someone else and then they won’t have any stats. If a DE is avoiding his run assignment to rush the QB then you put someone in that does what he’s supposed to. Same with a QB who audibles out of plays. If they don’t do their job they don’t play and then their stats really suffer.

that would be on the Coach, if said player is not doing his job you play someone else and then they won’t have any stats. If a DE is avoiding his run assignment to rush the QB then you put someone in that does what he’s supposed to. Same with a QB who audibles out of plays. If they don’t do their job they don’t play and then their stats really suffer.

That's not how things work in the real world.

Most of the ideas in this thread would create a soft cap system that the owners would never agree to. The one idea I like would be to put a percentage of the cap limit that any player can cost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom