The Legend of Carr took a hit last Night (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
It's not been something I've seen discussed, but he was inactive despite our lack of depth at WR.

Not a good look for an UDFA who's had so many chances. He was actually playing the 3rd most snaps earlier in the year at WR. I doubt he's on the team next year.

A lot of us thought Carr would take the position after Willie Snead left. It hasn't happened and we really miss Willie.

Both Kirkwood and Smith show promises once in a while, but they are as green as it gets. As the games get tougher, they disappear.

And Tommylee? If there is something Coach Payton won't forgive is a turnover (not even Ingram has a pass on this). This is not the first time for Lewis. I can see him inactive for the rest of the season, specially if Ginn is back.

IMO we fall in love with these UDFA skill players too often. I hope we are seeing that in most cases they are UDFAs for a reason. TLL, Carr, Kirkwood and Arnold dont scare anyone defensively. They just lack the talent to be frontline guys. All those players I mentioned are fine 4 or 5th options at WRs but not 2s or 3s.
Of course it is only the injuries to Ginn and Meredith that have thrust them into this position. We need Ginn back in the worst way.

I think the UDFA's at the WR position is calculated risk. When you are paying a franchise QB that takes up a sizable portion of your salary cap you have to go cheap in other areas. The Saints decided to sink their money into other areas like defense and offensive line and figured that with a HOF QB and our offensive system you can just plug anyone in at WR. We are seeing that it isn't working. Well I say it isn't working but we are sitting at 12-2.

Gotta address WR and TE next offseason for sure. Draft and free agency. Need more talent there.

IMO we fall in love with these UDFA skill players too often. I hope we are seeing that in most cases they are UDFAs for a reason. TLL, Carr, Kirkwood and Arnold dont scare anyone defensively. They just lack the talent to be frontline guys. All those players I mentioned are fine 4 or 5th options at WRs but not 2s or 3s.
Of course it is only the injuries to Ginn and Meredith that have thrust them into this position. We need Ginn back in the worst way.

I agree mostly.

Kirkwood has the talent to be a #2 WR. He's a physical freak and he's getting open consistently. But it's the drops, the mistakes on lining up, the mess up on the pick, etc. that are holding him back.

Often, you'll have an UDFA who's got the traits but it's the details that hold them back. Sometimes it's fixable. Other times, their inability to grasp the details is why they were an UDFA in the first place.

Well that Int, Bree's had is unforgivable at the goal line, I'm not blaming TL for trying to make a play as I see it he needs to get more touches, with his quickness he might be what the offense needs.... He definitely needs to hold on to the ball Tho.
A lot of us thought Carr would take the position after Willie Snead left. It hasn't happened and we really miss Willie.

Both Kirkwood and Smith show promises once in a while, but they are as green as it gets. As the games get tougher, they disappear.

And Tommylee? If there is something Coach Payton won't forgive is a turnover (not even Ingram has a pass on this). This is not the first time for Lewis. I can see him inactive for the rest of the season, specially if Ginn is back.

Ginn Jr gotta be coming back soon, Right?!

I think they continue to hold off...maybe into the playoffs. Consider this, if we win this Sunday, we don't have to win another game until January 12th. I'm not suggesting we'll sit starters for that last game, but I don't see us rushing anyone back from injury when we don't have to.

Carr is a bottom of the roster guy you keep if you have no one better. You know what you're going to get and he's a decent blocker.

I started another thread about why we didn't just have him return punts instead of activating TLL. Have him fair catch every one. TLL brings nothing and we now have to choose between LeRiebus and Ginn since we wasted an IR return on him.

Bigger picture, we really blew it with Snead.

It's easy to forget but this is what our WR corps was supposed to look like.

Thomas, Ginn, Meredith, TQS, Carr......the rest

Now we're asking rookies and UDFA's to be our #2. I'm as much at fault as anyone of this, but injuries and inexperience have decimated this unit. The fact that we don't have a "real" threat at TE only magnifies this weakness. Considering we're continuing this winning streak with only 1 real threat at WR/TE is petty impressive.

We've been so spoiled by WR depth the last 13 seasons that it's shocking when we see a stretch where behind Thomas, our WRs look straight up pedestrian.

TQS and Kirkwood have potential to grow but right now they are what they are for this season. TQS I was hoping would take more a leap as the season went along, but...can't every WR come in the league and be consistently good right off the bat. Kirkwood is a undrafted FA, anything we get from here I'm content with tbh.

Carr and TLL are just there. Still don't know why we used one of our IR returns on him, when right now we could use both Ginn and LeRibeus.

The good thing though is, you don't need a great WR core to win championships. We can get by with Ingram, Kamara, and Thomas. Rest will be the key. All we need from the rest is just to step up when their number is called.

Last edited:
Young guys are thinking so much. Makes them play a little bit slower little less physical. Hard to do athletic feats when ur brain processing so much. Arnold got NFL speed with size and good hands. Hes not taking NFL contact very well. I think that gets better with experience and confidence. Kirkwood has some Z type wr qualities. He made some contested catches but is no where near consistent and gets confused. Smith is green as well focus drops. Hes more suited for a Flanker type role in my opinion. These guys needs limited snaps in a certain role. There having to play a alot of snaps. Carr is dependable in a know what to do way but is a very limited NFL caliber athlete.

Meredith was still playing before he went on IR. I do wonder if we made the decision to shelve him too hastily.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom