The writers stike...... (1 Viewer)

Scale is not very high at all. I will try to attach the latest agreement I have a copy of. While some of those numbers may seem large keep in mind most writers are lucky to sell a theatrical screenplay every 2-3 years and unless you luck up and get on to a writing team with a strong show you may squeeze 1-2 television scripts out per year. The majority of writers don't work "steady" but it's not the type of thing you can just drop and hope the phone rings. Even if you're not writing if you hope to ever write again you have to pursue it full time.

I'm going to try and attach the pdf. Hopefully I pull it off.View attachment min2004.pdf

Residual fee's, which we discussed earlier, are laid out her as well. Obviously these are just minimums. Your better known guys get much more than this.

Edit: It worked. :ezbill:

I guess what I don't understand is why even base salary has to be the same for all writers. Getting back to the NFL example, I understand that because they all work for the NFL, which divides the tv revenue money to all the teams and players. I'm not even sure who the writers even contract with. Using another example, when airline pilots strike, it doesn't shut down all airlines, just the one they work for. Why aren't some shows on, and others not? All writers for anything that ever gets on tv in any manner have to be under same base contracts, regardless of show, network, or production company?

Basically the only thing that I'm affected by this strike is the Colbert Report. The other show that I love is Stargate: Atlantis, which isn't affected because they film in Canada, and most of everyone involved work in Canada.

I finally got a chance to express my appreciation for his selfless act of paying his krewe while the strike was going on.

He was in the cafeteria gettin some grub and I just had to say what an admirable gesture that was and it only reaffirmed my respect for him. He says "Thanks Jim, but my accountant didn't like. That wasn't a good phone call, I tell ya that much". I don't see him that often anymore and combine that with how many people he meets on any given day, I was surprised he remembered my name. Maybe cause he still remembers my personal contribution to last year's Mardi Gras show.

I wanted to ask a few more questions, but there are times where you can feel that they don't want to be bothered. I know I don't feel like being bombarded while getting my coffee and feeling half asleep.

quitmilkingus.jpg

....has been hard on many regular folk around here. I am now hearing that most of the SNL krewe has been let go with no promise of a future re-hire. This is getting really silly now and many underpaid hard workers are feeling the brunt of this strike more than the high priced writers themselves.

So I was talking to a contact in the Conan O'Brien show last Monday and I was amazed. Not only was she still with the show, but there was an actual show in the first place. After talking to her for a few minutes, she said that Conan has been paying everyone's salary out of his own pocket this entire time during the strike.

I'm not trying to give the impression that I "know" Conan personally, but when I talk to him, he's always a very nice down to earth guy who's always actually interested in your day. Sure, he's an actor and can fake any emotion, but I don't get that from him. Now that I hear about him paying out of his own pocket, that solidified my thoughts on the guy as a person. I have yet to hear anyone else doing this.

That's all. I was just talking to someone else about getting him tix, and it made me remember how this is all going down. Really sad, IMO.

I see what the writers are trying to get and I actually do support it, but the expense is getting too high for the regular folks that aren't as fortunate as them.
The Conan episodes during the strike were awesome. I was telling my wife they should put out a strike dvd. It is a shame you won't be seeing Conan anymore (Im assuming you work in the building?) but cool stories. I went once Conans crowd warm up was out of this world and the head writer (forgot his name) came out and just worked the crowd he was awesome too. I also got to see Joey Ramone on the show.

If it was Joey, then it's just before my time there, so it may be a different head writer. To be honest, there were so many writers that I probably wouldn't be able to name the HEAD writer anyway. I would have LOVED to meet Joey and I know my gf would have strung me up by my you know whats if I didn't get her in to see him too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom