There's no easy way out of this (16 Viewers)

So let’s just bring Billicheck in and let him take over!
The only problem with BB is his approach is outdated. Removing the whole spy system they had, TB12’s attitude was the exact same as BB. Which helped that team create a culture that stayed until one of them left. BB should be a consultant and that’s about it. His style is outdated, but he does have the cache for young players to see how champions should work for success. Whatever Mueller is doing now, BB could be that full time.

It's a glass half-empty situation, and I don't think we're in a position to talk about anyone's owner. We have an elderly owner who has no concern about the state of the franchise and GM who refuses to admit he put us in this situation.
But this is the first bust hire since Ditka and that’s nearly three decades ago.
The Browns since their return have been nothing short of a dumpster fire.

But this is the first bust hire since Ditka and that’s nearly three decades ago.
The Browns since their return have been nothing short of a dumpster fire.
They had their golden era (Jim Brown, anyone)way before us. Regardless, we are talking about today. Bad cap, questionable leadership and QB questions.

They had their golden era (Jim Brown, anyone)way before us. Regardless, we are talking about today. Bad cap, questionable leadership and QB questions.
And you think Cleveland is better?
The team hasn’t won a championship since the pre Super Bowl days.
They haven’t even won a division title since ‘89.
And they have that Watson contract.
And they’re chasing the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens.

I think it is a twofold situation with Loomis and Payton, with Loomis deserving 99% of the blame.

The Saints cap was a disaster when Payton left.

Three years later, the Saints cap is still a disaster and only this past spring has Loomis been willing to acknowledge that.

Loomis could have started walking the cap down in 2022 or 2023. Instead he hands out an extension to Cam Jordan whose decline has begun and signs Carr. While Carr's APY is not an overpay, he and Cam together currently consume $71,519,000 of 2025's cap space.

Had Loomis not done creative accounting to get Carr and not extended Cam, we'd already be at the end of the tunnel. Instead we're still searching for that light at the end.
Yep, when you find yourself in a hole, the best way out is to stop digging.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on two things -- that you can get a franchise QB without tanking, and that success rate is low (since 1999 -- not counting this season -- only 28 of 74 have been "franchise" QBs). Both can be true. But it is also true that we shouldn't discount that most QBs in the NFL that find success end up being high picks.

Just look at the breakdown of current NFL QBs:

1st round picks: L. Jackson, J. Allen, J. Burrow, J. Winson (D. Watson), B. Nix, A. Richardson (J. Flacco), T. Lawerence, P. Mahomes, J. Herbert, D. Maye, A. Rodgers, W. Levis, K. Murray, C. Williams, J. Goff, J. Love, M. Stafford, S. Darnold (JJ McCarthy), D. Jones, B. Mayfield, J. Daniels (Mariota 1st), CJ Stroud, T. Tagovailoa (potentially back next week according to sources).

23 of 32 teams have starting 1st round QBs.

2nd round picks: J. Hurts, G. Smith, A. Dalton (B. Young was 1st), Derek Carr (Rattler 5th)

27 of 32 teams have 1st/2nd round starting QBs.

3rd round picks: R. Wilson (J. Fields was 1st)

4th round picks: K. Cousins (Penix is 1st) , D. Prescott

30 of 32 teams have 1st-4th round stating QBs.

6th: G. Minshew

7th: B. Purdy

...There are a number of high draft picks in there as well as backups beyond the ones I listed in parentheses. You can call it user bias that all these guys are still in the league, but it's a reality -- most starting QBs in the NFL have to come from the 1st round. Rare is the Tom Brady.

I don't disagree. Although some of that is because teams rightly value QBs so highly they will force guys into the first round that might not on talent and production alone belong there. It's also because 1st round pick have talent so other teams keep giving them a shot. Lots of those first round guys aren't with the first team that drafted them and many are guys on their first contract. Guys not with the team that drafted them in the first: iWinston, D. Watson, J. Flacco, J. Goff, M. Stafford, S. Darnold, B. Mayfield, Mariota. So it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing sometimes.

But my point was that "tanking" wasn't necessary, not that you shouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round. As in tanking to get a top 5 or top 10 pick. First because there isn't a QB worth that high of a pick in every draft. Second because there is no guarantee of success just because you take a QB in the first round. And frankly one of the main reason 1st round QBs fail is because they go to bad teams, go to teams that run a scheme that is a bad fit , and/or that don't put a good team around them. More of these 1st round QBs would probably succeed if they went to better teams that put them in the right system. It's why guys like Mayfield and Darnold have done well in Tampa and Minny. They finally got to teams that used them right.

Anyway, I not at all saying that you don't take a QB in the first round. I'm saying you don't purposely tank to get a higher pick 1st round pick for a QB because that sets your first round QB up for failure and there is not guarantee that the guy you tanked for is a franchise QB. So, if you tank you end up with a good QB with nobody around him or you end up with a bad QB with no good players where teams often sit for many, many years like the Jets, Cleveland, and Carolina. Either way, you're not winning many games.

But sure, if you see a QB that is only going to be available in the upper part of round 1 that the team is convinced will be a franchise QB then go up and get him with future assets. I don't think that guy is there this year, but the college season isn't over yet.

Keep losing and if it's bad enough scrap it all, get a new QB and coach. If DA pulls a rabbit out of his hat, stop trading away picks, start building depth. Rumor has it Loomis had a trade back in the works had Bowers dropped to us. That at least acknowledges that along w/ the minimal FA spending they did this year, they have definitely changed philosophies w/ regards to cap management.

I'm sure they flirted w/ signing Adams becaues it looked like they had an opportunity to win, but they also ultimately didn't and refrained from making a trade for Mike Williams as well.

They're doing thigns differently, even if we aren't happy about the current situation.

You like Cam Ward that much? I do think he has guts to take hits in the pocket and I like his size, but I haven't really looked at him closely. I've only seen him play 3 or 4 times.

And you think Cleveland is better?
The team hasn’t won a championship since the pre Super Bowl days.
They haven’t even won a division title since ‘89.
And they have that Watson contract.
And they’re chasing the Steelers, Bengals and Ravens.
I still think we're just as bad.

I still think we're just as bad.

Not even close. We have what we consider struggled for 4 years. In that 4 year span we have been 9-8 twice, 7-10 once, and undetermined this year.

The truth is that we were rightly spoiled by nearly 20 years of success and we won't accept less. What many other fans consider as their team doing okay, we consider a disaster with no way out.

I mean Cleveland drafted Mayfield with the No. 1 pick. Traded him to Carolina for a conditional 5th after giving up all those picks to the Texans who used them to draft Stroud and build a very good team. They also signed Watson to a huge guaranteed money deal only for him to suck and then tear his Achilles. Then Mayfield is a free agent and ends up being a good QB in Tampa.

That is true NFL fan misery and the Jets aren't much better if at all.

Last edited:
You’re using the “assumption” that we would be yielding the same results as the Lions, had we had those same players. Thats not how that works. We can only go by what we do know and that is DC is getting the most out of his players, while we are riding a rudderless ship with our HC.
DC went from :
3-13
9-8
12-5 NFCCG appearance
5-1 currently

That is maximizing the talent of your players. Just look at the difference of the two coaching introductory press conferences. One said "This team is going to take on the identity of this city, and this city's been down and it's found a way to get up. This team's going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth....We're gonna get knocked down and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off“. While the other said “The turkey is prepared, I just have to cook it”.

One guy knew it was going to a tall task to rise a snake bitten team out of NFL purgatory, while the other thought it was going to be a situation where he just had to add a little extra. Two different mentalities. One guy has found solutions, while racking up signature wins, and has made his team a true contender, from a perennial loser. While the other is still searching for solutions, reviewing the tapes, and watching our players beaten down and defeated. I don’t care what ML says or any hypotheticals you want to use. The NFL IS a results based league. You go by what is factually in front of you. One dude is not like the other.
SMH , you just ignored all the reasons I gave you for the Lions success . Just the sheer amount of high picks and cap space almost half way guarantees success. DC IS the Ed Orgeron of the NFL, Great OC and DC and an embarrassing amount of riches

Is there a better QB as of now in the 2026 draft to name sucking for yet?
I don’t believe our best interest is in getting a franchise QB this next draft.
Who said anything about a QB in next yrs draft?? Manning has shown nothing to warrant him even being 1st rd pick when he comes out SMH

SMH , you just ignored all the reasons I gave you for the Lions success . Just the sheer amount of high picks and cap space almost half way guarantees success. DC IS the Ed Orgeron of the NFL, Great OC and DC and an embarrassing amount of riches
If high draft picks and lots of cap space would guarantee success, then all of the teams that have had those before would have had success. Yet they have not. If what you say is factual, then teams would do it ten times over. They don’t though.

They used the pandemic as an excuse... the world is threatening us with another bird flu..

Don't really understand Underhill/Triplett pod. They brought up "if it gets embarrassing if they lose to Carolina and lose the next two" bro, did yall actually look around at the dome on primetime last thurs? The camera panned multiple times at how empty the dome was after half-time. Al Michaels and Herbstriet were checked out of the game by the 3rd quarter. They even lightly called that game a stinker when they said "We haven't had many of these this season."

What game were those two watching? That game was about as embarrassing as the covid game. At least with the covid game, it was out of your control that happened. This game happened without those external factors.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom