There's no easy way out of this (20 Viewers)

Let me be clear I'm not advocating the below is the way to go. Frankly I haven't processed things enough in my head to figure out the "best" path forward if I was running things. Certainly it would be to shed salaries and accumulate draft picks as many of us believe in -- but as to the exact "how" well I'm not there yet.

But if you really, truly wanted to "start" next year and being to "blow it all up" and it's fairly straight-forward numbers wise (#s are rounded):

*Cut/Trade Kamara: Cap Savings of $19M
*Cut Ramczyk: $6M
*Cut Moreau: $2M
*Cut Saunders: $2M
*Cut JT Gray: $2M
*Cut Carr Post 6/1: $30M
*Cut/Trade Lattimore Post: 6/1: $18M

Those moves get you compliant for 2025 ($79M needed). Now, obviously you push about $46M with Carr and Lattimore into 2026. Not exactly ideal. But certainly doable, especially if you go with young picks and cheaper deals.

There's also some alternate variations of this. You keep Lattimore but designate Taysom as a Post June 1 cut and cut some other guys that are $1M each (Ridgeway, Wilson, etc).

Again, not advocating this...but showing how it can be done without restructures and using cuts/trades only.

Edit to add: I think you also have to let guys walk. Not many guys in the 2025 cycle will get much, but a few could garner mid-to-very low compensatory picks. Even with the injury, Adebo would probably be the guy to get you a possible 4th/5th round compensatory pick if anyone is willing to trust his health. I'd honestly prefer he walk than pay him, especially to get out of cap hell. Beyond that maybe Willie Gay gets something back and maybe someone overpays for a shot at a guy like Payton Turner or one of the backup OL that can stay healthy. But it's minimal.

Of course we know this isn't how it will go. Just spit-balling what could happen.
The problem is you can’t just cut low-cost guys and ring them up as savings. We have to have a roster and draft pick replacements still cost money.

If we cut Moreau, we will have to sign or draft another TE, and will they cost more than the $2m you save? Probably.

Same for Saunders as a DT or the other $1m guys you are citing.

You’re using the “assumption” that we would be yielding the same results as the Lions, had we had those same players. Thats not how that works. We can only go by what we do know and that is DC is getting the most out of his players, while we are riding a rudderless ship with our HC.
DC went from :
3-13
9-8
12-5 NFCCG appearance
5-1 currently
Not a fan of a Dan Campbell type because culture goes out the window after a few losing seasons, and there’s no guarantee we will jump to 9-8 that quickly because we have a much worse situation when it comes to resources (draft and cap space) to fix things.

I think we need a coach who can be a genius on one side of the ball and produce stability and team identity there. Preferably offense.

Dan Campbell reminds me of Mike Vrabel. It can work for a while, but it’s the road less travelled for a reason. You’re left having to find two top coordinators instead of just one.

Not a fan of a Dan Campbell type because culture goes out the window after a few losing seasons, and there’s no guarantee we will jump to 9-8 that quickly because we have a much worse situation when it comes to resources (draft and cap space) to fix things.

I think we need a coach who can be a genius on one side of the ball and produce stability and team identity there. Preferably offense.

Dan Campbell reminds me of Mike Vrabel. It can work for a while, but it’s the road less travelled for a reason. You’re left having to find two top coordinators instead of just one.
I’m getting a lot of responses for Dan Campbell specifically. He’s not the one i suggested. I said we should get someone from his coaching tree. Here is my original response. Whatever they are doing, it is 100% working in this new age of football. Just someone who has had a bird’s eye view of that operation, who can mix the old with the new. Could you imagine what an offense would look like with KK as OC, but with some of Ben’s concepts?!?! I don’t care even if we were to take one of Ben’s assistants. Not for HC. Just a voice to have in the building.

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpeg
    IMG_8188.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 2
Because Payton is busy coaching the football team and they needed Ireland to run the scouting department. Just because a you have people that work for you handling the details doesn't mean you aren't in charge.

Maybe Payton didn't have total control. I think he did based on the evidence, but even if I'm wrong and he didn't, he clearly had a lot of power to do what he wanted with the roster and with the draft.

And, I'm not really blaming Payton for the current situation. DA, Ireland, and Loomis have had 3 years to fix it and they haven't. So all three of them share the blame for the current situation. But Payton did leave this team in a bad situation so I am blaming him for the situation that existed when he left. But Loomis, Ireland, and DA have done a bad job of making that situation better.

Fair enough....I'll say this, the best way to get back on track (and it's not going to be easy) is to get the right coach and hit on the next 2 drafts....it will be an uphill climb especially because I have zero faith in Loomis's ability to find that right coach.....but we will see....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom