This could be Alvin's last year as a Saint and it would be a massive mistake by Allen (1 Viewer)

I think he's a top back. The question is how long will he remain a top back?
I have a hunch he'll bust through that proverbial wall and have a monster season. I'm still in favor of extending him with reasonable numbers. If he does move on next season, I'd hope it would be to Denver, Payton and the AFC.

And I'll double-down and say Cam Jordan has a bounce-back season as he'll be called in to move back outside to replace an injured edge rusher.

First, it’s not an Allen decision. It’s a Loomis level decision. Secondly, what is an Allen culture? Cause the only Allen culture I have seen as a head coach is losing. I sure hope Alvin is not part of that culture.

The list of mistakes Loomis and Allen have made post Payton are a mile long.

Going after Watson
Benching Jaemis for Dalton
Extending Davis, Jordan, Ruiz, who am I missing? I know there's more.
Signing Carr
Extending Carr
Penning
Miller
Foskey
The punting situation
The kicker situation

Now do a list of what they've gotten right...

I'd argue that benching Winston for Dalton wasn't wrong. Extending Davis was the right move. We haven't extended Carr, his deal was reworked for cap. Lutz was about 5M vs Grupe at 900k and cost us 7% difference in kicks made not great. Miller and Foskey are TBD but not looking good. Kicking and Punting situation this year TBD.

List of got right:
Trading CJGJ.
Extending Davis/HB for team friendly deals.
Breese pick looks great.
Perry and Howden look like solid depth for a 5th and 6th.
Olave, Taylor, and Shaheed UDFA in 2022.
Letting 5 DL players walk in 2022 and getting cheaper.
I loved this years draft but TBD.
Resigning Werner is TBD but feels smart.
New Taysom usage is TBD but feels smart.
New OC is TBD but feels smart.

I'd argue that benching Winston for Dalton wasn't wrong. Extending Davis was the right move. We haven't extended Carr, his deal was reworked for cap. Lutz was about 5M vs Grupe at 900k and cost us 7% difference in kicks made not great. Miller and Foskey are TBD but not looking good. Kicking and Punting situation this year TBD.

List of got right:
Trading CJGJ.
Extending Davis/HB for team friendly deals.
Breese pick looks great.
Perry and Howden look like solid depth for a 5th and 6th.
Olave, Taylor, and Shaheed UDFA in 2022.
Letting 5 DL players walk in 2022 and getting cheaper.
I loved this years draft but TBD.
Resigning Werner is TBD but feels smart.
New Taysom usage is TBD but feels smart.
New OC is TBD but feels smart.
Agreed except not as high on Taylor as most here are. Think he’s much better suited to the boundary. Not his fault that he’s out of position tho.

I think he wants to extend beyond 31. AK told Underhill that he thinks he can play for 6 more years.

It would be highly unusual for a RB. If he is able to (and he is an amazing athlete, a unicorn, who is able to absorb/diffuse the worst of hits) that would be a fantasic achievment. But I wouldn't expect a team to bet on it. If it happens, it will be on 1-2 year contracts, probably not what he is hoping for

I have a hunch he'll bust through that proverbial wall and have a monster season. I'm still in favor of extending him with reasonable numbers. If he does move on next season, I'd hope it would be to Denver, Payton and the AFC.

And I'll double-down and say Cam Jordan has a bounce-back season as he'll be called in to move back outside to replace an injured edge rusher.

I think Kamara will have a big year this year and look a bit like he did a few years ago. And I think he probably has another season like that in him. But beyond that, I'm not sure. If he does have a big year this year, it may prompt bigger contract offers despite his age, but I'd hate to be the team that gives a 30 year old RB more than a 2 year deal. The end comes fast at RB and as Elvis said above you want to be the team that let a player go a year early, not the team that singed a player to a contract that is 2 or 3 years too long.

And honestly, if he wasn't AK, I'd probably say let him play this year and then let him go. But, he is AK. So IMO, the Saints are making the right move by not giving him a new contract right now. They may regret it if he has a big year, but I'm not sure how you give a big contract to a 30 year-old RB. But, maybe the market won't be there and they can brining him back for 2 years and around $8 million AAV.

As far as Cam. He's going to play DE, but he's going to be moving inside more on obvious passing downs. I think he'll have a bounce back year. Play the run like he always has and then maybe get 6 or so sacks in more of a rotational role at DE and DT.

It would be highly unusual for a RB. If he is able to (and he is an amazing athlete, a unicorn, who is able to absorb/diffuse the worst of hits) that would be a fantasic achievment. But I wouldn't expect a team to bet on it. If it happens, it will be on 1-2 year contracts, probably not what he is hoping for

I wouldn't either. Even if he has a great year this year, I'm not sure the market it going to be there for a 30 year-old RB to get more than $7 or $8 million for one year. That's why I was hoping maybe the Saints for give him two years at around $8 million with maybe $12 million guaranteed before the season started. It would really benefit both sides because past that AK is going to be lucky to get one year deals in the $5 million range.

The only real mistake here is giving AK multiple more years still paying him as the 2nd best back in the league when statistically he no longer ranks in the top 12-15. Hopefully they can come to terms after the season and he finishes his career a Saint. But, if he is looking to get the same type of contract he has had recently then you have to let him go.
You can’t pay for a name, the position can be upgraded for a lot less than what Alvin would want.

Last year, when the storm was brewing around Carmichael's playcalling, Allen mostly refrained from throwing Carmichael under the bus. There were a ton of rumblings coming from players during media interviews, but no one was more outspoken or as honest as Alvin. It wasn't nearly as bad as Michael Thomas, but Alvin didn't handle it like some of the other players. It was in that moment that I realized he didn't fit Allens new culture and I feel like the guys Allen is for, got their contracts adjusted already. I feel like Alvin hasn't been signed because Allen isn't pushing for this to be something that gets done and pronto.

I could be wrong but I sense that Alvin is a remnant from Payton's previous culture that Allen would like to move on from. It also explains why Allen is so frustrated with Kendre, because Kendre is Allen's excuse to move on in a year.
OP, please bump this once AK releases the hounds.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
I think RB/FB Taysom frees AK for more slot option routes. AK's acceleration and change of direction excels in that role.
If they transition him in to that kind of roll, then maybe a reasonable extension might make some sense.

I disagree with all those who think the writing is on the wall. AK has made it clear that he sincerely wants to be here, and he's a smart guy with numerous other interests in life. He's exactly the type of player that could take less money to stay here and retire a Saint. Pump the breaks on the hysterics...

I also disagree that Cam was overpaid, but that's another discussion for another thread.

I disagree with all those who think the writing is on the wall. AK has made it clear that he sincerely wants to be here, and he's a smart guy with numerous other interests in life. He's exactly the type of player that could take less money to stay here and retire a Saint. Pump the breaks on the hysterics...

I also disagree that Cam was overpaid, but that's another discussion for another thread.
In light of the last 2 years on and off-the-field performances, I'm good with whatever DA wants to do with Kamara. If he re-signs, it would have to be cheap with no guaranteed money.

All i know is... I drafted Kamara this year for the first time ever... in the second and was laughed at... :(

I was laughed at again for taking taysom in the 8th...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom