Time to give Haener a shot (10 Viewers)

Look I am in the camp of I don't care who starts for the saints as long as we win, But saying Rattler wasn't good enough to start at Oklahoma is stupid. He did start at Oklahoma and in 2020 which he had 28 passing td's and 8 ints and 6 rushing td's. The fact that williams took the job in 2021 shows why he was the #1 pick. Do I think Rattler can be a future starter yes, But I also think the same of haener if they have time to develop. But this team is so injured right now that it doesn't matter who starts.
You call me stupid then confirm he lost his starting position at Oklahoma. Most qbs that do well in the NFL, not all, are star players for their teams and do not lose their job. although it can happen. Can u think of any?

You call me stupid then confirm he lost his starting position at Oklahoma. Most qbs that do well in the NFL, not all, are star players for their teams and do not lose their job. although it can happen. Can u think of any?
Jalen Hurts

Jalen Hurts
Baker Mayfield lost his job to Davis Webb at Texas Tech as well.

Joe Burrow couldn’t beat out JT Barrett for the starting job at OSU and then even got beat out by Dwayne Haskins in 2017 for the 2nd string spot at OSU after being 2nd string in 2016 before he transferred to LSU.

Last edited:
I agree, Rattler's bad habits will just get worse with an O-Line that doesn't give him any time. Wait until we at least get McCoy back before putting Rattler back in as the starter.

It never made sense to start Rattler. Any QB taken on day three should be considered a developmental QB who is very unlikely to be ready to start that same year for any NFL team, especially not as early as week six (and considering the lack of help he would have).

We should have started the developmental QB we took last year—he actually had a year to develop.

Besides that, despite all the rationalization to the contrary, it made zero sense that Haener was the best backup to keep the offense running if Carr got injured mid game, but was not the best starting option to keep the offense running in the event of an extended Carr absence. It’s a classic case of overthinking the situation, and just one more blunder for DA to add to his list of HC mistakes.

Haener could very well be terrible if given the opportunity to start, but instead the team put Rattler in a position to get his confidence crushed (which would be true of any day three/undrafted QB this year). Now, the team is stuck in a situation where they let him continue to struggle or sit him, both choices that hurt his confidence further.

It never made sense to start Rattler. Any QB taken on day three should be considered a developmental QB who is very unlikely to be ready to start that same year for any NFL team, especially not as early as week six (and considering the lack of help he would have).

We should have started the developmental QB we took last year—he actually had a year to develop.

Besides that, despite all the rationalization to the contrary, it made zero sense that Haener was the best backup to keep the offense running if Carr got injured mid game, but was not the best starting option to keep the offense running in the event of an extended Carr absence. It’s a classic case of overthinking the situation, and just one more blunder for DA to add to his list of HC mistakes.

Haener could very well be terrible if given the opportunity to start, but instead the team put Rattler in a position to get his confidence crushed (which would be true of any day three/undrafted QB this year). Now, the team is stuck in a situation where they let him continue to struggle or sit him, both choices that hurt his confidence further.
Well the people in this forum was advocating for Rattler to start. Imagine if Haener was named the starter. People would be outraged. To me people was just more curious and intrigued with Rattler rather than choosing the player that is the better option. To me I was fine with either just because I see the pros and cons to both players during the preseason.

Let's face it. Rattler simply is too green right now for the hand he's being dealt. He's hesitating on decisions and he doesn't have time for that as he's running for his life behind a decimated offensive line.

I'm not expecting Haener to be some magical answer, nor at this point do I think he has more potential to be the future QB than Rattler does. However, I do think that with a year on Rattler, he has a better shot at producing points than Rattler does. He's got a year of NFL under him, watching and learning. He has a better idea how fast dbs and pass rushers are, and who is open enough to throw to and who isn't. He won't be perfect, he'll make mistakes as well, but he has a better grasp of the NFL right now than Rattler does.

I still think Rattler is the more talented and will be the more polished player in the long run but right now the more polished player is Haener, so he should start for now while Rattler continues to watch, learn, get a deeper knowledge of plays, and a better understanding of the difference between the college and professional speed of the game and the talent.

If the Saints just want Rattler to learn from the "school of hard knocks" and aren't worried about destroying his confidence behind that patchwork line, they can keep playing him, but I think it smarter for him in the long run to sit and watch for now.

Just my thoughts.
I could not disagree more. Go with Rattler until Carr comes back. To keep switching QB's is not the answer. The offensive line and injuries are the issue. Tom Brady wouldnt win behind this team right now. Keep Rattler in the game. He is our future.

I think Allen has one of the same flaws Payton had as a head coach. Payton always tried to get his defensive coordinators to try to mimic the defenses that gave him the most trouble as an offensive coordinator.

Allen seems to be doing the same in reverse. He said in his introductory press conference that he wants an offensive that can run the ball and hit big plays over the top. Those are the offenses that Allen's defenses consistently struggle the most with.

I think Allen has given a general directive to Kubiak to try to take a lot of deep shots, even with the protection issues caused by the injuries to the OL. I believe Allen when he says that it was his decision to start Rattler. I think he chose Rattler becuase he's chasing those deep shots too hard.

The first two weeks the run game and deep shot combo was working very well with the starting OL healthy. They are not working as well now, but the offense keeps pressing for the deep shots anyway. I suspect that is coming more from Allen than Kubiak.

Rattler wants to take those deep shots, so he either forces it when it's not there or he waits too long to look elsewhere. Haener does a better job of quickly recognizing when the called play is not going to work and knowing where his opportunities will be.

I'm not saying Haener is a better QB or is the future QB. Right now, Haener's ability to quickly recognize where the openings will be and quickly get the ball to recievers is what the Saints need on offense more than Rattler's strong arm. Once the OL is healthy, then the advantage might tilt toward Rattler.

If Rattler starts Sunday and he hasn't learned how to better recognize pressure and adjust for it presnap, then he's going to get blitzed to death again and the Saints offfense will continue to struggle like it has in the last two games. Doing the same thing will lead to the same results.

I could not disagree more. Go with Rattler until Carr comes back. To keep switching QB's is not the answer. The offensive line and injuries are the issue. Tom Brady wouldnt win behind this team right now. Keep Rattler in the game. He is our future.
Let’s hope we upgrade. We need a solid qb for the future.

Serious question for those that are still calling for Haener and constantly bringing up DA. Do you think DA is really overruling Kubiak and Jonocko on this? Do you think that this isn’t a consensus decision? Are you already at the point of turning on the new offensive staff? Because of a guy that was never projected to be anything other than a backup?

No. We arent enamored with a rookie qb that doesn't appear to recognize the blitz. We dont settle just because the coaching staff made a decisions.... because sticking with the decision that was made just because it was the decision that was made is a stupid reason to stick with a decision. When even the most trusted writers for the team say "the argument for Haener is he is more prepared to go into a no win situation" and the objective is to WIN games, you can deduce that Haener should he starting because he gives you the best chance to win. Now you can continue to support the choices made but we have every right to critique the DECISION. Because we want to win. We dont settle for losing.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom