Time to give Haener a shot (7 Viewers)

FFS, I already talked about Rattler right before that. Come on man, keep up.
Yes, and you touted his success in comparison to Carr's numbers. Then you got upset when I made a case for Haener being able to handle the same volume.
Please start doing better here.

Haener may turn out to be the better long-term QB. I liked Haener when we drafted him last year and still have high hopes for him even after drafting Rattler. I'm also intrigued by Rattler's assets. I think we have a good problem and I can see both having success and one may end up being on another team. I just lean toward Rattler as I think he's and can improve on the read and react part of his game over time.

I'd like to see Haener get a couple of starts also so that the Saints have a better evaluation of both players going into the draft, which will likely be a high draft pick.

Haener’s strength is the same as Brees’ strength. Why can’t he be the long term better QB? Rattler may develop into the better QB, and he definitely has talent, but this situation is a little reminiscent of the Brees vs Rivers competition. Rivers had the physical edge on Brees, but Brees turned out to be the better QB. Obviously I’m not predicting that either will be as good, but the physical edges being attributed by some to Rattler undervalue the processing edge that Haener displays.
I mean no offense but, this is so disrespectful of Brees as a prospect. He would have been the #1 overall pick if he was two inches taller. If you saw him throw it in Joe Tiller's offense, there was never a question of his arm strength. The narrative changes on him as time goes by and people only seem to remember late stage Drew. He could absolutely rip it.

Nothing to do with Haener, who I really like, but he's not the prospect that Brees was. Could he be the next Brock Purdy? Who knows?

Again, I realize you're not calling Haener the next Brees. It just always bothers me that people forget how good he was in college.

Yes, and you touted his success in comparison to Carr's numbers. Then you got upset when I made a case for Haener being able to handle the same volume.
Please start doing better here.
I didn't say he couldn't handle it. I said (rhetorically) nobody wants to see ANOTHER QB (Haener) making his first start having to throw 37 times in this broken offense with no protection. It doesn't serve him and it doesn't serve the team to see that. Just like it hasn't served Rattler. You are very very bad at reading comprehension.

I didn't say he couldn't handle it. I said (rhetorically) nobody wants to see ANOTHER QB (Haener) making his first start having to throw 37 times in this broken offense with no protection. It doesn't serve him and it doesn't serve the team to see that. Just like it hasn't served Rattler. You are very very bad at reading comprehension.
What good is it rhetorically when there are people who would like to see what Haener could do starting the next game regardless of having to throw it 37 times (which, for clarity, I showed he is fully capable of doing) even in the current climate? You don't get to speak for everyone. People actually saying they want to see it trumps any rhetorical questioning of if they would like to see it. You are making me think of Mark's Twain's quote about with whom to never argue.

What good is it rhetorically when there are people who would like to see what Haener could do starting the next game regardless of having to throw it 37 times (which, for clarity, I showed he is fully capable of doing) even in the current climate? You don't get to speak for everyone. People actually saying they want to see it trumps any rhetorical questioning of if they would like to see it. You are making me think of Mark's Twain's quote about with whom to never argue.
Dude, get over yourself. I wasn't speaking for anyone other than myself. Just go on about your business now.

I thought it was insane how much the board was crowning Rattler 2 weeks ago, but it’s equally insane to draw conclusions from the last two games. Especially last night. That was a no win situation.
I’m not drawing conclusions but I believe it’s time to give Haener two games. Afterwards coaches have tape to evaluate young talent, both playing behind poor olineman. Neither will likely look like an all pro but it provide an opportunity to evaluate a player under fire.

Nah. Rattler is the future. He has played very well considering the situation. If anything, Haener should have got the first shot at playing. He was the backup coming out of camp. Another situation this staff got wrong.
To say that SR IS the future is delusional. He has shown nothing to say that he is or is not the future.

I posted this on the gameday thread; I got nothing against Haener being given a shot, but don't be fooled by that last drive. Denver was ready to go home.
They weren’t ready to go home, on the contrary, Sean Payton, with a huge smile, after a dominating win, wanted to sit down with all the local media and reminisce for a few hours.

It was definitely the textbook definition of garbage time. But still, Haener has a quick release and made fast decisions. That td throw was a thing of beauty.
I'm sorry but that was in no way garbage time. Garbage time is when the other team is way ahead and the D plays soft and just rushes 4.
JH had 5 plays, on 3 they blitzed 6 or more. On one they ran cover 0 and blitzed 8. Jake saw it check out of the play and threw a strike.

Because that is what he is comfortable with. He played in primarily a single read system in college from what I understand. In garbage time against a defense that was sprinkled with backups, it was easy to hit the first read. It will be a lot tougher on him when he has to go through progressions. I don't have a problem giving him the next game to have a shot, but I cannot see he or Rattler having any success with this group of characters that the team has to play.
You could not be more wrong about garbage time. Of the 5 plays that JH played they blitzed him 3 times and one was cover 0 they sent 8 and he checked out and beat the blitz . He played in a very similar system that we are using now.

Didn't Spencer Rattler open the game with 3 dropped passes? We're talking hit the receiver in the hands drops.
Not even close , 1st was a Q9 and a good pass to Moreau. 2nd should have been a pick DB dropped it and 3rd was to Wilson

I think people aren't giving Heaner enough credit for being a player who can move and run. Of course he isn't Lamar or Josh running ability. But I hardly see him take sacks in preseason. He has a quick release and scramble when needed. Rattler isn't as fast as I hope he would be. At this time I would not mind giving Haener a chance.
Yea Rattler is a tick too slow. I wonder if he’ll work on that.

Agreed. I get being angry and wanting to see something else but Rattler was under constant pressure last night. His quarterback rating last night was close to where Carr's was the last couple of games and better than Carr's was against Philly. Under even worse roster circumstances than Carr faced. Carr was averaging 25.6 pass attempts per game and Rattler has averaged 37.5. Who really wants to see Haener to come out and throw 37 passes?
With the way JH handled the pressure last night, I think a lot of us would like to see him throw 37 passes. JH is just a more decisive QB now . He has a better grasp of the O and does not look run too fast. He's also better at seeing what the D is going to do

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom