To those insistent that we draft a "power back" or "bruiser" this year... (1 Viewer)

So do you think they wiil give up the idea of Bush being our every down RB ??

You'd think that wouldn't be the plan for Bush coming out of college. You've never heard of a player who returns punts AND is the feature back.

I'd hope we never had that presumption...

You'd think that wouldn't be the plan for Bush coming out of college. You've never heard of a player who returns punts AND is the feature back.

I'd hope we never had that presumption...

Thats what Passton wanted out of Bush this year.... he knew Deuce wouldnt be as effective... thats what angers me the most is ,he thinks or thought Bush could be that back..

If you took the name and the number off both of these guys jerseys' and went by their production the field, there is little doubt as to who you would think should be starting and getting the majority of the opportunities.

Agreed. We can mull over circumstances, opponents, line blocking, and any number of things and at the end of it all, Thomas has produced at a higher level in key measures, in the same offense, behind the same line. Whether he can do it on a consistent basis over a long stretch is all that remains to be seen.

Finding a better "runningback" than Reggie Bush is not hard and doesn't really say much about PT. If the question is about the more valuable player, it's Bush in a landslide. PT can't touch the versitility Bush brings to an offense.

Yall can toot PT's horn all day about being the better "runner." There are a lot of people here who only seem to focus on what Reggie lacks, rather than what he brings to the table.

Don't know why I'm endulging this endless stupid argument...

Last edited:
Finding a better "runningback" than Reggie Bush is not hard and doesn't really say much about PT. If the question is about the more valuable player, it's Bush in a landslide. PT can't touch the versitility Bush brings to an offense.

Yall can toot PT's horn all day about being the better "runner." There are a lot of people here who only seem to focus on what Reggie lacks, rather than what he brings to the table.

Don't why I'm endulging this endless stupid argument...

Again, this is not and never was a RB v. PT thread.

PT bring PLENTY to the table, and I think even more of that would become apparent if SP would give him 20 carries.

Don't why I'm endulging this endless stupid argument...

First of all, why is it a stupid argument to compare and discuss the performances of two players?

But what exactly is the glaring versatility that Bush brings that makes him the more valuable player in a landslide -- as it relates to the offense? I don't ask that to mitigate his athleticism and playmaking ability, but Thomas is no dud in the passing game (and in fact, has the better YPR currently). He's the better runner of the two so far. And with four TDs in the last three games, matched the pace that many have touted about Bush with his 8 TDs in the first 6 games.

It could be that Thomas isn't as good as he appears to be, but it would be nice to see the coaches commit to giving him a more active role every week to find out. Personally, I'd like to see him be the primary RB and see what he can do.

The whole "start PT" debate reminds me of the qb controversy at University of Maryland. The fans wanted Chris Turner who, like PT was excellent in limited duty last year, to be named starting qb over Jordan Steffy. Fans booed Steffy relentlessly and embarassingly in the unspectacular 14-7 opening day win over Delaware.

During the course of tht game, Steffy fractured his thumb and has not returned to the lineup. The fans got their wish, Turner is the starter. Mayland has gone 6-5 with him at the helm. Once again, mediocrity for the Terps, but fans can't blame it on Steffy because they got "their" man.

Payton, however, appears even more stubborn than Friedgen. I too would like to see PT given a chance at feature back, but I won't hold my breath while Bush is still in NOLA. Nor do I expect Payton to change his pass-happy ways any time soon.

Last edited:
I have a proposal.

We could start a guy that has never fumbled in his (albeit short) NFL career in 130 attempts.

A guy who has averaged 4.7 yds a carry in his short career, even though he hasn't gotten full time starter reps in practice for the majority of his playing time.

A guy that runs much harder than his stature of 215 lbs.

Sound great? Well you know what's better? It would cost us nothing extra at all.

Because he's already on our roster and he's ready to take the reigns.

<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/biYgpZWU-vQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>
He is a new Aaron Stecker period!

His frame is too small he is not a big threat catching out of the backfield and most of all he is soft and gets hurt easy. We need a real true primetime player back there are we will stay losing and over reliant on the pass.

We need a big brusing upright runner who can catch, block, and has a combination power and speed. That used to be #26 we need a guy from that mold to replace him the scatback by committee approach is not going to work.

Once again he is the new Aaron Stecker or a tougher Reggie Bush but not the running back we need.

Again, this is not and never was a RB v. PT thread.

PT bring PLENTY to the table, and I think even more of that would become apparent if SP would give him 20 carries.

PT can bring a lot to the table just me but he is a better "running back" than Reggie Bush. He is tougher but not that tough. What happened when he got 20+, yeh he blew Chigago up but he wound up in the hospital.

When you have a car lot full of run down, ragged, used cars. You can pick the best one on that lot, but just because it is the best on THAT lot doesn't mean it is going to get it done.

I say this because our running backs are a lot like a used car lot. They are either missing parts or too old and run down to run for long.

I will give PT this he is the best back on the Saints roster, but that is no big accomplishment. We need a new back, a complete back. The Saints have not had that guy on the roster since 2006 and it can be argued since 2004, early 2005.

Kingston you are spot on with your comments. I keep telling people - Pierre Thomas is an Aaron Stecker clone - it's not a knock on him. He is what he is. He'll give you everything he's got on field but unfortunately he isn't the biggest/strongest guy out there. And this isn't Thomas "hate" either. I've been a big supporter and was an advocate of him to make the roster over Antonio Pittman. I was excited to see just what he could do after the Bears game last year. We saw earlier this season on those third and ones. He's a role player/STer who can fill in a pinch.

Since when is 5' 11" 215 lb. a power back? In high school, yes. College, no and in the NFL not even close. For those saying "all he needs to do is gain 10-15 lbs. and he's our powerback". Thomas himself admitted he worked his tail off to gain 5 lbs. last offseason. I doubt he could gain much more weight with completely sacrificing what speed and agility he has.

Is Thomas the most complete back on the current roster? Yes, compared to an old used up warhorse with two bad knees, a flashy situational back, and a street FA. Not much competition. This needs to be addressed with a 6+' 230+ lbs back this next offseason......

If Payton can get consistent..that will give PT a shot at consistency..and thats what I want to see from our running backs..I want the 2006 running game and more..Give PT the majority of the carries..work in Bush just like in 2006.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom