To those insistent that we draft a "power back" or "bruiser" this year... (1 Viewer)

PT can bring a lot to the table just me but he is a better "running back" than Reggie Bush. He is tougher but not that tough. What happened when he got 20+, yeh he blew Chigago up but he wound up in the hospital.

When you have a car lot full of run down, ragged, used cars. You can pick the best one on that lot, but just because it is the best on THAT lot doesn't mean it is going to get it done.

I say this because our running backs are a lot like a used car lot. They are either missing parts or too old and run down to run for long.

I will give PT this he is the best back on the Saints roster, but that is no big accomplishment. We need a new back, a complete back. The Saints have not had that guy on the roster since 2006 and it can be argued since 2004, early 2005.

He got a rib injury, that happens all the time man. Are you seriously basing your assertion that he is "injury prone" or "soft" on one game where the kid probably played through that pain for a good part of the game where he went 100x100? :covri: That doesn't seem the least bit fair.

And as to the other comment... do you really think we are going to be able to get a more "complete" back without A. using draft picks to get him and overpaying for him when we are already overpaying for much of the talent we have on our roster or B. spending all of our offseason cash to get a more "complete" back in FA?

Both leave us high and dry next year with nothing improved on defense other than the IR boys coming back.

Since when is 5' 11" 215 lb. a power back? In high school, yes. College, no and in the NFL not even close. For those saying "all he needs to do is gain 10-15 lbs. and he's our powerback". Thomas himself admitted he worked his tail off to gain 5 lbs. last offseason. I doubt he could gain much more weight with completely sacrificing what speed and agility he has.

Since when is "power back" a certain size in the NFL? Certainly not this year. Look around at the rosters...

Since when is "power back" a certain size in the NFL? Certainly not this year. Look around at the rosters...

For that matter, since when is "power back" the requisite to be a starter?

It's been pointed out that there are other starters with similar size so that alone isn't a disqualifier. Either a player can produce or he can't.

It's been pointed out that there are other starters with similar size so that alone isn't a disqualifier. Either a player can produce or he can't.

And for that matter, our best FB has been out for quite a while. Anyone know if Mike is returning? I'd love to see more PT/MK.

Jeez, no freaking kidding. Go ask Ladanian Tomlinson, Clinton Portis, Adrian Peterson, Thomas Jones, Matt Forte, Deangelo Williams, Steve Slaton, if they need to get bigger. Why do the Saints have to have a Brandon Jacobs? Just stupid.

A random selection of RBs -- all of whom have had 1,000 yard seasons. Height/weight per NFL.com:

Frank Gore 5'9" - 217# -- (Career 4.7 rushing average)
Willie Parker 5'10" - 209# -- (4.4 avg)
Joseph Addai 5'11" - 214# (4.2 avg)
Clinton Portis 5'11" - 221# (4.6 avg)
Edgerrin James 6'0" - 219# (4.0 avg)

Pierre Thomas 5'11" - 215# (4.7 avg)

Now maybe we'll eventually see that Thomas doesn't have the overall talent to be mentioned with those players in any context other than being similar in size. But the idea that he doesn't have the physical stature to be more than a limited role player, I think, is unfounded.

The whole notion that we must have a powerback is stupid.

Whether you are 215 or 235, you are not going to run over offensive linemen who are pushing 350 pounds. The O-line makes a power running game. The easiest way to get those "tough" yards is to have your linemen blow the D-line back.

When a back is pushing his way for yards it's rarely the back who's moving the pile. Thomas is just fine at 215. We don't need a fat back to be successful.

Barry Sanders - 5'8" 203lbs

and I would take a PT with heart over 90% of the "bruisers" any day.

Talk size and then look at Sam Mills and the discussion is over.

I guess we could have Lendale White. He'd average 3.7 a carry, but people would love him b/c he's a fat *** and looks tough when he runs.

He is tougher but not that tough. What happened when he got 20+, yeh he blew Chigago up but he wound up in the hospital.

Yeah you're right, he's not tough. He was only playing with rib injury he had prior to the Chicago game. That's weaksauce, real tough players cut their pinkies off.

I guess we could have Lendale White. He'd average 3.7 a carry, but people would love him b/c he's a fat *** and looks tough when he runs.

Why stop there? I think we should take Charles Grant from his DE duties and make him full time RB.

Bring back Ironhead!!!! Oh, that's right.......

And the record that Deuce just broke was set by
Dalton Hilliard
Height: 5-8 Weight: 204 lbs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom