Trans athletes make great gains, yet resentment still flares (24 Viewers)

So we agree on male/female/transgender divisions in sports then?

I don't think that practically works given the very small number of transgender people. To me you just make all sports gender and sex neutral and have divisions that get progressively harder.

But honestly, I don't know the solution and, as I've already said, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I'm just exploring the issues and trying to look at things in different contexts. My preference would be a solution that pleases everyone but that seldom happens so maybe the only solution would be one that everyone equally hates?

I suppose it's all in how you define "cheating". Is it cheating to have better coaching as a kid? Better training? Better food? More opportunities?
No. And none of that is equivalent to injecting steroids.

I very specifically said physical harm and that financial harm would be covered under civil penalties.
There are laws against physical harm too.
But the real difference between masks, vaccines, and cigarette smoke versus performance enhancing drugs is that you can choose not to compete at the level where those drugs are used or not compete at all. But you can't choose not to live in a world where there is second hand smoke, people not wearing masks, and people not making vaccines.

Again, you were the one who shifted the discussion from PEDs in sports to "whatever you put into your body".

No. And none of that is equivalent to injecting steroids.

There are laws against physical harm too.

Again, you were the one who shifted the discussion from PEDs in sports to "whatever you put into your body".

I didn't shift the discussion at all. You asked a question and I answered it honestly.

Same thing was said when Title IX went into effect in 1972. Look at what we are now.

There were vastly more women and girls playing sports in 1972 than there are even Transgender people in existence now much less Transgender people that want to compete in competitive sports.

this all brings to mind an ongoing conversation i've been having with my family - the difference between deserving and earning
like, as much as most any other family we deserve to have a house of our own. but we have not earned enough to get a house
and while everyone understands most of what is unfair about the system - the awareness of the fairness/unfairness of the system won't earn us a house

i also remember early in the marriage when we would go to some of those workshops about qualifying for loans for people with low incomes (looking back i think this might have been part of the sub-prime debacle), but we made too much money to qualify
while disappointed, i did understand that being mad at or jealous of the low income who did qualify was not the right (or helpful) thing to do

I don't think that practically works given the very small number of transgender people.

Boom. We hadn't yet finished the argument between men's sports and women's sports (back when we all could define what a woman is about 3 years ago) and now we've made that issue infinitely tougher because of the few transwomen who are biologically men and want to compete against people who are biologically female. And for any woman that doesn't have the balls to define what a woman is, I am ashamed of you.

Last edited:
Boom. We hadn't yet finished the argument between men's sports and women's sports (back when we all could define what a woman is about 3 years ago) and now we've made that issue infinitely tougher because of the few transwomen who are biologically men and want to compete against people who are biologically female. And for any woman that doesn't have the balls to define what a woman is, I am ashamed of you.
“The world has no name, he said. The names of the cerros and the sierras and the deserts exist only on maps. We name them that we do not lose our way. Yet it was because the way was lost to us already that we have made those names. The world cannot be lost. We are the ones. And it is because these names and these coordinates are our own naming that they cannot save us. That they cannot find us for the way again.”

“The world has no name, he said. The names of the cerros and the sierras and the deserts exist only on maps. We name them that we do not lose our way. Yet it was because the way was lost to us already that we have made those names. The world cannot be lost. We are the ones. And it is because these names and these coordinates are our own naming that they cannot save us. That they cannot find us for the way again.”
“'I was planning on writing about a woman for 50 years. I will never be competent enough to do so, but at some point you have to try.' How arduous he makes it all sound – plumbing the treacherous, alien depths of a ladybrain.

"Women, I am repeatedly told, don’t like – don’t get – Cormac McCarthy. It’s the kind of patronising nonsense that gets levelled at us when we point out the converse: that McCarthy’s fiction doesn’t get – doesn’t like – women. When female characters do appear in his pages, they are cowards, victims and sexpots: sirenic doom-bringers, cheetah-owning dommes, simpering twits and bad mothers. It’s often possible to admire the Pulitzer prize winner despite his paper-thin girls."

“'I was planning on writing about a woman for 50 years. I will never be competent enough to do so, but at some point you have to try.' How arduous he makes it all sound – plumbing the treacherous, alien depths of a ladybrain.

"Women, I am repeatedly told, don’t like – don’t get – Cormac McCarthy. It’s the kind of patronising nonsense that gets levelled at us when we point out the converse: that McCarthy’s fiction doesn’t get – doesn’t like – women. When female characters do appear in his pages, they are cowards, victims and sexpots: sirenic doom-bringers, cheetah-owning dommes, simpering twits and bad mothers. It’s often possible to admire the Pulitzer prize winner despite his paper-thin girls."
The last time that I saw him he was trying hard to get
A woman's education but he's not a woman yet

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom