UEFA Euro 2024 (June 14 to July 14) (2 Viewers)

Did y’all see that Kroos was 101/102 in passes versus Scotland and he completed 124 passes versus Hungary (second most behind Xavi’s 127).

His swan song.

i liked the move to bring on speed in Ollie and Eze, but the disappearance by Bellingham is the most perplexing. He simply couldnt get a hold of the game and control and England as a whole seemingly reverted to playing defense and look for counters.

just odd.

Is that a Southgate decision or is it a players decision as game unfolds and they revert to what they know?
Southgate or greggg?

I have no idea, but it's been a problem going way back under multiple managers. I tend to watch the players who aren't in possession to see the movement and runs happening, and I was genuinely laughing out loud at points at how there just weren't any. The player on the ball just didn't have any options. Hence all the short passes, getting caught in possession, etc. It was kind of like watching a team playing their first friendly of a new season under a new manager, where some of the players just don't seem sure what they're supposed to be doing.

Whereas when Denmark were in possession, there was plenty of movement, they tended to be losing possession because something didn't quite come off rather than because they were aimless or just lobbing it somewhere more in hope than expectation.
Having been a fan of MUFC since the Cantona days ( my Uncle loved Cantona so it made sense for me to gravitate toward MUFC ) and the English Premier League in general, ive always quietly pulled for England in major tourneys.

But there is no denying what you are saying which has been the achilles heel for England since ive been watching. The whole "knock on, run on to" hopeful ball. Whereas that was once their tactic, its changed over the decades, but almost acts like a "safety blanket" - if nothing else is working, we can do this- sort of thing.

Kane is the talisman. Fox tossed up a graphic- he has 64 goals for England....the REST of squad COMBINED have 38.

If you remove him/his ability from game or make him play higher up the pitch than he would like, you effectively can totally disrupt Englands offensive style.

Jude made a surgical pass late to Ollie who had to make a darting run to get- it was perfect and Ollie speed allowed him to get to. It was saved by Casper, but THAT is what Ollie can do. Kane doesnt make that run because he doesnt have the speed.

And i think, as game progresses, many get caught in two minds. I want to do this, but im told to do that. ( Visit our USMNT thread as we are currently debating that with Berhalter- him boxing in players ) and so there is hesitation from them in possession ( as well as movers off the ball ) because no one wants to ad lib when ad lib is specifically called for.

But yes i agree with you- no "movement with purpose" - and i cant tell you as a USMNT supporter how familiar THAT is.

Kane is the talisman monkey’s paw. Fox tossed up a graphic- he has 64 goals for England....the REST of squad COMBINED have 38.
I know I joke, but at some point it feels like there needs to be some analysis here
Spurs under performed, Eng underperforms, he goes to Bayern and scores more than I did on tour but Bayern misses the title for the first time since….a very long time
It’s bizarre

I know I joke, but at some point it feels like there needs to be some analysis here
Spurs under performed, Eng underperforms, he goes to Bayern and scores more than I did on tour but Bayern misses the title for the first time since….a very long time
It’s bizarre

No joke. Teams WITH Kane tend to rely on his ability TOO MUCH.

here is BM goal scorers from 22/23 season

now 23/24

what stands out is the clear scoring responsibility. 22/23 season - 92 goals with highest netting 14.

23/24 season 94 goals. Kane had 36 of the 94.

Its clear to ANYONE- stop/disrupt Kane and your chances of winning increase. ( i think defensively they werent as strong in 2023/24 as 22/23 so that plays a role too )

they stopped spreading the ball around and it seems as though every team that has Kane falls into this trap.

this game is the most physical yet. wow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom