UEFA Euro 2024 (June 14 to July 14) (4 Viewers)

My buddy is in the Cotswolds at Bourton on the Water. I told him “you must go to a pub and watch the England/Demark game in the Euros.” He said he was on his way now.

I googled “pubs of Bourton on the Water” and wow, just perfect

He ended up at the Duke of Wellington

He ended up at the Duke of Wellington

that atmosphere must be....tense. lol

Denmark asking questions!

its amazing that the Danes just seem to have Englands number. Their style is the antithesis to Englands and serves as an added defensive style.

England simply cannot break down the Danes. Every pass/possession is contested, they are frustrated and wind up with balls that turnover possession.

crazy but it just feels that way.

REf has bailed out Eng about 4 times in last 5 min here.

England simply cannot break down the Danes. Every pass/possession is contested, they are frustrated and wind up with balls that turnover possession.

crazy but it just feels that way.
It pretty much is that way, but I'm not really surprised. England have gone with the classic, "everyone just stand about while we're in possession until the Danes get bored, then try and catch them out with a sudden run and long ball, repeat for 90 minutes," approach.

I don't know why England revert to that every so often, but it's definitely a thing.

I imagine they've turned the air pretty blue in there by now.

Classic tournament England this.

i liked the move to bring on speed in Ollie and Eze, but the disappearance by Bellingham is the most perplexing. He simply couldnt get a hold of the game and control and England as a whole seemingly reverted to playing defense and look for counters.

just odd.

Is that a Southgate decision or is it a players decision as game unfolds and they revert to what they know?

i liked the move to bring on speed in Ollie and Eze, but the disappearance by Bellingham is the most perplexing. He simply couldnt get a hold of the game and control and England as a whole seemingly reverted to playing defense and look for counters.

just odd.

Is that a Southgate decision or is it a players decision as game unfolds and they revert to what they know?
I have no idea, but it's been a problem going way back under multiple managers. I tend to watch the players who aren't in possession to see the movement and runs happening, and I was genuinely laughing out loud at points at how there just weren't any. The player on the ball just didn't have any options. Hence all the short passes, getting caught in possession, etc. It was kind of like watching a team playing their first friendly of a new season under a new manager, where some of the players just don't seem sure what they're supposed to be doing.

Whereas when Denmark were in possession, there was plenty of movement, they tended to be losing possession because something didn't quite come off rather than because they were aimless or just lobbing it somewhere more in hope than expectation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom