Saints Underhill mildly disrespectful towards Triplett (JMO) (1 Viewer)

Nick has had quite the transformation. He started as a Saints fan boy who posted 95% positive Saints material. It came off as him being hesitant to burn bridges. Well…now he has made it and he probably can be more of himself. I also think that he is FAR better as a writer than on-air personality. I think he’s an introvert and not particularly comfortable in that role.

Some of you get the point... others do not.

It is not, repeat, NOT a question of Triplett and Underhill not seeing eye-to-eye. In fact, Triplett acknowledged Nicks pessimism.

The problem is the attitude and tone displayed by Nick (snarky and dismissive). Underhill's tone was not at the usual civil level we had been accustomed to.

"It's not necessarily WHAT you say, but HOW you say it!"

Some of you may want to go back to the 12:00 min mark to listen again. The way Nick said it might have gotten him a knuckle sandwich if said that way to some people.

Jus 'sayin!

:gosaints:

This to me is no different than me or a friend telling one another "Psht, whatever dude" after disagreeing, and immediately moving on. :ROFLMAO:

I have watched the clip five times now and I just don't see it rising to the level you seem to think it does. It was a long time of them two just disagreeing back and forth for two straight minutes, and like any good host would do at that point, especially once it became clear that either of their views won't sway, he immediately dismissed the conversation and turned it to the person that hasn't had a chance to talk for a bit.

Like he said..."It's neither here nor there," I.E. "What we are talking about ultimately doesn't matter and won't make a difference on anything regardless of if we come to an agreement or not."

If doing that warrants a "knuckle sandwich" in your eyes, then I worry for you.

This to me is no different than me or a friend telling one another "Psht, whatever dude" after disagreeing, and immediately moving on. :ROFLMAO:

I have watched the clip five times now and I just don't see it rising to the level you seem to think it does. It was a long time of them two just disagreeing back and forth for two straight minutes, and like any good host would do at that point, he immediately dismissed the conversation and turned it to the person that hasn't had a chance to talk for a bit.

Yeah, this seems like searching for a problem.

NOF had a postgame wrap up on the Superdome sideline. The usual trio gave their opinions:

* Mike Triplett
* Nick Underhill
* Brooke Kirchoffer

Video banners read: “Saints play complete game”, and “Team clicking at the right time.”

The show opened with Brooke briefly commenting on how their pregame predictions were too pessimistic, and that the Saints really played a good game vs. the Giants.

Nick followed with his usual rundown of sponsors of the show. Then, the trio got into comments on overall positives for the Saints vs. the Giants.

Fast forward in the narrative to about the 12:00 - 13:30 mark. During that particular time, Triplett stated that he AGREED with Nick on the fact that the Saints have been on a roller coaster all season. He also acknowledges that this is too soon to get your hopes up about the team.

But Triplett also said that with the Saints playing as good of an overall game as they did vs. the Giants, it seemed to be the first time all year that fans could feel good about the team’s performance.

<> Triplett acknowledged and validated Nick’s pessimism, BUT
<> Triplett also wanted to make the point that this may have been the first time all year that the Saints have made the fan base feel proud about their performance.
<> Triplett seemed to be giving credit where credit is due.

Around the 13:00 min mark, Nick replied in a way that seemed to be snarky and dismissive. He ended his short retort by telling Triplett that his statement was neither here nor there.

If you could imagine being in Mike Triplett’s shoes: Speaking casually with a colleague about the team, and getting absolutely NO CREDIT from Nick that anything he (Triplett) said was valid…

I have been, and still am an avid Nick Underhill fan. I can say that without having to compare him to other NOLA beat sports reporters who will remain unnamed. But the aforementioned example of Nick’s response to Mike T. was (to me) disappointing, and also uncharacteristically unprofessional.

I know some might disagree, and I respect your opinion.

Peace, out. 😎

Seemed very rude.

Nick has had quite the transformation. He started as a Saints fan boy who posted 95% positive Saints material. It came off as him being hesitant to burn bridges. Well…now he has made it and he probably can be more of himself. I also think that he is FAR better as a writer than on-air personality. I think he’s an introvert and not particularly comfortable in that role.
I think the dynamic between he and Trip allows him to be himself more. Triplet has a mild personality and rarely has ever had a scathing take on anything Saints.

W/ Nick you always sensed he was capable of a scathing take, he just refrained from doing it. His on air personality is him 100%

Yep…it’s a shame we have devolved into a society where everyone is so used to others being careful with every single word they say and beating around the bush, that when someone has the audacity to speak directly about something they disagree with and then use the slightest dismissive tone just to turn the page, it’s a problem and viewed as disrespect.

It was a conversation where two men disagreed, and the guy that was in charge decided that it wasn’t worth dwelling over anymore and moved his show along.

I doubt Triplett thought two seconds about this and the two men likely laughed with each other afterwards.

Yes, friends/colleagues indeed do disagree with one another and sometimes get slightly snippy about it…nothing disrespectful about that.

Best response bar none.

I watched the clip and while they were not in agreement (at least not completely), I really didn’t think either one of them was being rude or disrespectful.

I feel like that’s very similar to a lot of sports conversations that I’ve had with friends.

To play devil’s advocate, it is tough covering the Saints for any media in the Gulf Coast.
Because if the organization gets annoyed and cut off access, that cuts out 90% of your content year round.
Not for me. This is my best year covering the Saints.
Lots of Saints outlets out here are growing.

Yeah, I can MAYBE see how you could come away from that clip thinking Nick was a bit too curt and owed Mike a “my bad, man”, but thinking what happened in that clip warranted a punch to the face seems like an extreme overreaction (in my opinion).

To me, it just seems like Nick is fed up with 🦌 to the point of no return. I am with him 100%. I don’t care if we make the play and make it to the 2nd rd. Personally I don’t see 🦌 as a HC that could lead us to where we want to go. Plus, we should not be where we are at the current moment, despite a 2 game win streak. We should be throttling through the division. There’s no excuse. I’ve been over 🦌 and I’m with Nick 100%. Not saying him being dismissive of Triplett was professional, but I can see why he’s still highly skeptical
I get it, but some people here act like we have 22 probowlers in their prime. And the coaching staff is totally failing in putting them in the best position. There is some of that, but not a lot. With Brees we had an average team (overall, o and d combined) with a great QB. Now we have a slightly above average team with a good QB. Imo, our ceiling is the second round of the playoffs. And that’s where we’re trending. For us to get to SF, Dallas, Kc, Philly level, we need to shore up the D where it plays lights out all year. Not just a couple stretches of elite play. And the oline needs to be solidified so we can actually run the ball with a RB. Or am I tripping that we were wasting a Super Bowl roster?

I get it, but some people here act like we have 22 probowlers in their prime. And the coaching staff is totally failing in putting them in the best position. There is some of that, but not a lot. With Brees we had an average team (overall, o and d combined) with a great QB. Now we have a slightly above average team with a good QB. Imo, our ceiling is the second round of the playoffs. And that’s where we’re trending. For us to get to SF, Dallas, Kc, Philly level, we need to shore up the D where it plays lights out all year. Not just a couple stretches of elite play. And the oline needs to be solidified so we can actually run the ball with a RB. Or am I tripping that we were wasting a Super Bowl roster?
I believe with the talent that we have, “IF” 🦌 could get PC to call great games consistently, then we could at least make it to NFCCG. The only NFC team that is consistent (when they are healthy) are the 49ers. Every one else has weaknesses and can be exposed, which we have seen Philly/Dallas get undressed on National TV. Philly has some problems going on and until Dallas shows us that they can turn up in the playoffs, then I look at them as a minor speed bump. All we have to do is get this offense to click, gain some momentum/confidence, and help keep our defense fresh throughout games. I truly believe that we have the pieces to be a problem for teams. Unfortunately for us, we have been our own worst enemy this season.

So, I went and looked at the segment. From my viewpoint, there was nothing that warranted somebody getting punched. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion on how they view it. I just don't see where it got hostile.

Some of you get the point... others do not.

It is not, repeat, NOT a question of Triplett and Underhill not seeing eye-to-eye. In fact, Triplett acknowledged Nicks pessimism.

The problem is the attitude and tone displayed by Nick (snarky and dismissive). Underhill's tone was not at the usual civil level we had been accustomed to.

"It's not necessarily WHAT you say, but HOW you say it!"

Some of you may want to go back to the 12:00 min mark to listen again. The way Nick said it might have gotten him a knuckle sandwich if said that way to some people.

Jus 'sayin!

I re-watched it and I see less of what you are saying. I see nothing wrong with what Nick said or how he said it. He just had a difference of opinion and that was it. Would it have been better if he said “I respectfully disagree” as opposed to saying “I don’t know, I disagree”? His tone wasn’t loud or abrasive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom