Underhill on Payton (1 Viewer)

I'm saying that comment isn't a serious comment. Think about it. If you're changing your mind every 2 seconds, does that sound like something to worry about? If it does, then that's your prerogative. Saying he's changing his mind every 2 seconds =/= Payton stated he's seriously considering retirement.
Agreed. I don't think Glazer knows much, so by saying Payton changes his mind every 2 minutes, he still keeps his integrity as an Insider intact.

Like yeah, "I've heard him say everything. But I can't report on it because he could change his mind again."

I saw it more as a tactic to avoid admitting he has no clue, while still maintaining credibility.

Agreed. I don't think Glazer knows much, so by saying Payton changes his mind every 2 minutes, he still keeps his integrity as an Insider intact.

Like yeah, "I've heard him say everything. But I can't report on it because he could change his mind again."

I saw it more as a tactic to avoid admitting he has no clue, while still maintaining credibility.

Glazer also just wanted to get to talking about the book he wrote which came out today. That show appearance was really to promote his book.

I'm saying that comment isn't a serious comment. Think about it. If you're changing your mind every 2 seconds, does that sound like something to worry about? If it does, then that's your prerogative. Saying he's changing his mind every 2 seconds =/= Payton stated he's seriously considering retirement.
I know this example is extreme but it's the spirit of it I'm going for. If someone is thinking about suicide but changes their mind every 2 minutes, wouldn't you still pay attention to that? Glazer was asked if he's thinking about retirement and his answer was "he changes his mind every 2 minutes." That's him actually saying yes but he doesn't know how seriously he's considering it because he changes his mind so often.

I agree. I tend to think there's little to the rumors. Not saying he didn't ponder other options. But seems like something that would be routine for a coach at this stage of his career. I suspect it will be like this after every season until he actually hangs it up.

I do trust Glazer, just based on what we know of his relationship with Payton, that all of this is stuff Payton has thought about at various times and that they've discussed. So I think Glazer is able to plug that into the current speculation and offer informed guesses.

What Glazer hasn't done is say "I talked to Payton [yesterday, last week, whatever] and he's currently thinking about retiring." (That I'm aware of.) I wish Glazer would have been more definitive when asked but understand he might not be at liberty to do that, or simply doesn't know right now.

So it seems retirement is a possibility but I really hesitate to think Payton wants to go out like this. Of course if he's burned out, he has to do what he thinks is best.

A scenario I could see unfolding is that with three years remaining on his contract, that we could be at the beginnings of an earnest transition plan so that he can make his exit in the next 2-3 seasons. Payton has always come across as somebody who is highly detail driven and doesn't leave things to chance. This organization has been great to him, and him to it. I could see Sean, Mickey, and Gayle working very closely on a succession plan because that just seems to me to be the way they do things.

I do trust Glazer, just based on what we know of his relationship with Payton, that all of this is stuff Payton has thought about at various times and that they've discussed. So I think Glazer is able to plug that into the current speculation and offer informed guesses.

What Glazer hasn't done is say "I talked to Payton [yesterday, last week, whatever] and he's currently thinking about retiring." (That I'm aware of.) I wish Glazer would have been more definitive when asked but understand he might not be at liberty to do that, or simply doesn't know right now.

So it seems retirement is a possibility but I really hesitate to think Payton wants to go out like this. Of course if he's burned out, he has to do what he thinks is best.

A scenario I could see unfolding is that with three years remaining on his contract, that we could be at the beginnings of an earnest transition plan so that he can make his exit in the next 2-3 seasons. Payton has always come across as somebody who is highly detail driven and doesn't leave things to chance. This organization has been great to him, and him to it. I could see Sean, Mickey, and Gayle working very closely on a succession plan because that just seems to me to be the way they do things.
I agree. I don't think he's going to retire this year but he most definitely seems to be considering it. I also highly doubt he's going to coach beyond his current contract.

We also have Gayle Benson's comments on this whole thing. By her saying she doesn't know tells me that he's considering retiring otherwise she would've said he's under contract and is of course returning. I also believe in what @60minutes has been saying. I fully expect him to return this year.

I agree. I don't think he's going to retire this year but he most definitely seems to be considering it. I also highly doubt he's going to coach beyond his current contract.

Yeah, that seems highly likely. I know he looks at Parcells as a mentor and Parcels retired around age 65. But, Payton seems like the kind of guy who is going to want to retire young enough to enjoy his money and his life. And I think Payton would be 61 or 62 at the end of his contract.

Yeah, that seems highly likely. I know he looks at Parcells as a mentor and Parcels retired around age 65. But, Payton seems like the kind of guy who is going to want to retire young enough to enjoy his money and his life. And I think Payton would be 61 or 62 at the end of his contract.
This is what I believe, if he returns this year then he's going to finish out his contract. I seriously doubt he'd return this year and then retire. So it's either retire now or retire at the end of the contract. That's what I believe.

I know this example is extreme but it's the spirit of it I'm going for. If someone is thinking about suicide but changes their mind every 2 minutes, wouldn't you still pay attention to that? Glazer was asked if he's thinking about retirement and his answer was "he changes his mind every 2 minutes." That's him actually saying yes but he doesn't know how seriously he's considering it because he changes his mind so often.
Yeah, that makes sense. I think it's contextual though. Consider that Payton hasn't directly commented, no one is actually quoting anything from Payton, including Glazer. He never actually quotes Payton. Just says he's hemming and hawing about his current situation. It just doesn't feel like anything to be overly concerned about tat this point.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think it's contextual though. Consider that Payton hasn't directly commented, no one is actually quoting anything from Payton, including Glazer. He never actually quotes Payton. Just says he's hemming and hawing about his current situation. It just doesn't feel like anything to be overly concerned about tat this point.
I'd agree with that but it is, or was, something to pay attention to. So far as we know, this is the first year where he's actually thought about retiring.

I cant imagine CSP leaving saints in the lurch so late in the head coach interviewing cycle

this has all the makings of an 'all in 2022' season as it feels like his last. i hope that means a play for Wilson or rodgers

I'd agree with that but it is, or was, something to pay attention to. So far as we know, this is the first year where he's actually thought about retiring.
I suppose it is. I haven't heard any talk of him retiring until the current speculation. I guess it's newsworthy, but it just doesn't seem like some thing legitimate yet. That could change in short order, but just feels premature, that's all.

I suppose it is. I haven't heard any talk of him retiring until the current speculation. I guess it's newsworthy, but it just doesn't seem like some thing legitimate yet. That could change in short order, but just feels premature, that's all.
If it's based on thoughts that Payton is having then it's mature, not premature. We just don't know how serious it is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom