Underhill on Payton (1 Viewer)

And Glazer was asked direct questions and really didn't give direct and definitive answers.

As far as I know, there still aren't any direct quotes from Payton or anybody in his immediate circle, or high up in the organization, about what he's thinking about right now, and how that relates to his future with the team.

But, I do think there's probably something going on, we just don't know what that is without filling in our own pieces. He's been here a long time by head coaching standards and this past season was grueling for the team, and no doubt took a toll on everybody to some degree. If Payton is feeling burned out, that wouldn't surprise me. Still, all we have is speculation and secondhand information.

Unfortunately I think there has to be something going on too. Payton was back at the facility yesterday so he has to know that all of these rumors are floating around. Yet, he remains silent. This is obviously speculation by me, but I would think that if he was 100% a full go for next season, he would have either sent out a snarky tweet, put out a press release, or made a statement that he was coming back to reporters. I get him not saying anything at the end of the season because he was under contract and the assumption would be that he was coming back. But, the longer the rumors are out there while he is back from vacation, the more it appears that he is not certain that he will coach this year. You would think he would put an end to the speculation if there was nothing to it.

Unfortunately I think there has to be something going on too. Payton was back at the facility yesterday so he has to know that all of these rumors are floating around. Yet, he remains silent. This is obviously speculation by me, but I would think that if he was 100% a full go for next season, he would have either sent out a snarky tweet, put out a press release, or made a statement that he was coming back to reporters. I get him not saying anything at the end of the season because he was under contract and the assumption would be that he was coming back. But, the longer the rumors are out there while he is back from vacation, the more it appears that he is not certain that he will coach this year. You would think he would put an end to the speculation if there was nothing to it.

Right. I think the longer this goes without anybody shutting it down, it's only reasonable to consider that there is something to this. We just don't know the what and why beyond speculation. Maybe he's ready for a break. Maybe he's ready to retire from coaching completely. Maybe there are matters he wants addressed or commitments made to stay.

Right. I think the longer this goes without anybody shutting it down, it's only reasonable to consider that there is something to this. We just don't know the what and why beyond speculation. Maybe he's ready for a break. Maybe he's ready to retire from coaching completely. Maybe there are matters he wants addressed or commitments made to stay.
Hoping it’s the latter of those.

Yep, he could have dispelled the rumors or let everybody know he’s staying. He could he doing thing differently, but at the end of the day if he’s ready to move on, I’m ready for him to move on. If he’s here to stay, I’m here with him too.

Our lives are going to go on the same, work, family, responsibilities and everything else. The saints gives us an outlet no matter who the coach or players are.

There's one thing people aren't considering. Maybe he just doesn't care about people speculating and so he's not saying anything to stop it.

It's possible, but Payton loves to make snarky comments about press speculation and to shut them down publicly. I would think he would take that opportunity if it were there. And, while he may not care about speculation from the press or even the fans, you would think he would care that Mrs. Benson doesn't know if he is staying or not.

It's possible, but Payton loves to make snarky comments about press speculation and to shut them down publicly. I would think he would take that opportunity if it were there. And, while he may not care about speculation from the press or even the fans, you would think he would care that Mrs. Benson doesn't know if he is staying or not.
They're meeting this week or may have already.

If he were to resign, don't you think he'd sit down with Mickey and Mrs. B at the same time? All three are truly joined at the hip(s).

I don't know how you decide which one to tell first.

If he were to resign, don't you think he'd sit down with Mickey and Mrs. B at the same time? All three are truly joined at the hip(s).

I don't know how you decide which one to tell first.
I agree. I tend to think there's little to the rumors. Not saying he didn't ponder other options. But seems like something that would be routine for a coach at this stage of his career. I suspect it will be like this after every season until he actually hangs it up.

Yeah, seems like that would happen today.

And it seems like it's something they would do no matter if Payton was thinking about taking a break or not. I'm pretty sure they meet at the end of every season. Anyway, I'm sure Payton is considering his options and how long he wants to keep coaching, but I'm not sure that meeting with Loomis or Mrs. Benson has anything to do with that. And, I'd bet that we find out if he is coming back, and maybe if he thought about not coming back, in the next few days. Payton has yet to do his end of the year press conference because he went on vacation right after the season. So, he has to do that and if he hasn't made his position clear by then I know every question will be whether he is coming back next year or not.

And it seems like it's something they would do no matter if Payton was thinking about taking a break or not. I'm pretty sure they meet at the end of every season. Anyway, I'm sure Payton is considering his options and how long he wants to keep coaching, but I'm not sure that meeting with Loomis or Mrs. Benson has anything to do with that. And, I'd bet that we find out if he is coming back, and maybe if he thought about not coming back, in the next few days. Payton has yet to do his end of the year press conference because he went on vacation right after the season. So, he has to do that and if he hasn't made his position clear by then I know every question will be whether he is coming back next year or not.
He did his end of year presser the day after the Falcons game

He did his end of year presser the day after the Falcons game

I don't recall that and I thought someone, maybe Duncan, said yesterday that he did not do it. But, I wasn't paying much attention on that Monday given the disappointing way the season ended so he apparently already had it and I missed it. Anyway, I would bet we will know something one way or the other in the next few days given that the Senior Bowl is coming up.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom