USA Today Ranks Dennis Allen Worst Head Coach in the League (1 Viewer)

I think that is a bit unfair to DA, and as most know I'm not a huge fan of him....but to me, the first Minn playoff loss was more due to the Saints offense being MIA, scoreless until the 2nd half......it never should have come down to that one play....

In the 2nd Vikings loss I would say CSP's offensive strategy was the culprit (and I love CSP).....continuing to try and throw it against a small pass rushing front.....instead of running it down their throats, which we were pretty good at that year.....
Haha, thanks for reminding me of the time Dennis Allen made Kirk Cousins look like an All Pro in the playoffs.

Cousins has done NOTHING in his entire career in a meaningful game, EXCEPT against DA in the playoffs.

Another notch in Allen's fail belt.

Haha, thanks for reminding me of the time Dennis Allen made Kirk Cousins look like an All Pro in the playoffs.

Cousins has done NOTHING in his entire career in a meaningful game, EXCEPT against DA in the playoffs.

In the one playoff game against us he was 19 of 31 for 226 and a whopping 1 TD, world beating numbers those.....Our HOF QB only had 208 with 1 TD and a pick......

We scored a whopping 10 points up until the 4th quarter.....anyone who comes away from either Vikings playoff loss thinking the D was the reason we lost is delusional......

19 completions for 242 yards is not only NOT All-Pro, but it was LITERALLY the worst post season game of Cousin's Career.

We lost that game on 1 bad mistake by a really good player.

19 completions for 242 yards is not only NOT All-Pro, but it was LITERALLY the worst post season game of Cousin's Career.

When's the last time Cousins sliced and diced a Top Defense for a game winning TD in the playoffs?

We lost that game because Sean Payton made a horribly foolish decision to start Andrus Peat freshly back from injury over Nick Easton who had been doing a very solid job in Peat’s absence.

If you’ll recall, Peat got injured against Atlanta in that insanely frustrating game where the Falcons ran inside stunts and Peat was a turnstile and allowed the middle to collapse in seconds. Drew got sacked 6 times and we got blown out.

Peat is out and then Easton comes in and the situation instantly improved.

Right before the Wild Card game - Payton decides to bench Easton in place of the returning Peat - and what do you know - the Vikings start running inside stunts and Peat can’t block it and the middle is a jail break. Drew was under duress the whole game.

Then to make matters worse - once it’s established that all we have is Taysom Hill playing out of his mind on offense - Payton decides to take the ball out of his hands and stop feeding the hot hand.

Payton had some real head scratchers in his time here but that 2018 WC game was the top for me. Even above the failed double reverse against the Bucs in 07.

In the one playoff game against us he was 19 of 31 for 226 and a whopping 1 TD, world beating numbers those.....Our HOF QB only had 208 with 1 TD and a pick......

We scored a whopping 10 points up until the 4th quarter.....anyone who comes away from either Vikings playoff loss thinking the D was the reason we lost is delusional......
💯

Brees had a very rough game and Cousins only threw for 34 more yards with a much worse completion % (61.2% to Brees’ 78.8%). That isn’t even a good game, much less an “All-Pro” game. Dude got them blinders on. 😂

We lost that game because Sean Payton made a horribly foolish decision to start Andrus Peat freshly back from injury over Nick Easton who had been doing a very solid job in Peat’s absence.

If you’ll recall, Peat got injured against Atlanta in that insanely frustrating game where the Falcons ran inside stunts and Peat was a turnstile and allowed the middle to collapse in seconds. Drew got sacked 6 times and we got blown out.

Right before the Wild Card game - Payton decides to bench Easton in place of the returning Peat - and what do you know - the Vikings start running inside stunts and Peat can’t block it and the middle is a jail break. Drew was under duress the whole game.
Peat didn’t return against the Vikings in the playoffs, he started the Week 17 game against Carolina too which we won handedly, 42-10.

I always see those two games (the 2019 Wild Card vs. the Vikings and that 26-9 loss to the Falcons that same year) cited as Peat being the reason we lost those games but the tape simply doesn't agree. In both of those games, nearly the ENTIRE OL was dogwater at various points, it wasn't just one player.

Yes, Peat gave up 2 bad pressures early to Griffen. It's indisputable, but the Vikings had 9 total pressures (according to PFR's data from the game) and only Peat's is what gets mentioned about the OL play that game.

Everyone ignores that Ramczyk gave up 1.5 sacks (both to Hunter, one of which being a strip sack late with 4:26 left in the game and deep in Vikings territory while trailing 20-17). Armstead gave up 0.5 sack and a pressure (his sack was also on the play Ramczyk gave up his first sack because both got beat on the same play where Griffen and Hunter literally met at the QB and ended our first drive). Warford gave up a sack to Griffen and a pressure to Linval Joseph with the pressure coming on the same play the strip sack was on.

Hunter is credited with 3 pressures (which would be the 9th) but I don't have where it occured in the game offhand but considering Hunter almost exclusively rushed from the LDE position, it wouldn't surprise me if it was against Ramczyk again.

Looking back through when I looked at the All-22 and capped stuff, McCoy was the only one that didn't give up a sack or pressure, but there was one play I noticed watching the recap where McCoy was comboing a DT with Warford while a free blitzer at LB just ran right through the left A-gap as the ball is released.

As for the Atlanta game that Peat got injured in, 4 of those 6 sacks came AFTER Peat exited the game. Of the two sacks that happened while he was in the game, the first one was because the FB whiffed in pass protection. Only the other sack was on Peat (Clayborn stunts over and plows into him while he’s still blocking Grady Jarrett).

The Saints interior OL at that time seemed to struggle with stunts as a whole, especially against elite pass rushers (which Jarrett, Griffen, and Hunter certainly qualified as). That's why the Falcons were able to continue the onslaught after he was out of the game, it wasn't "just Peat".

Then to make matters worse - once it’s established that all we have is Taysom Hill playing out of his mind on offense - Payton decides to take the ball out of his hands and stop feeding the hot hand.

The bolded part of your post at the end I agree with tenfold though. That is the #1 reason why we lost that game: Taysom needed to be fed because he was EATING on that defense when he had the chance. Taysom played only 23 offensive snaps (41%) and only touched the ball 7 times. Of those 7 times he touched the ball, he accumulated 125 all-purpose yards (17.9 yards/touch!) and a TD (was 4 passing yards away from 2 TD's in 7 touches). Absolutely CRIMINAL the way Payton refused to use him this game. Watching the recap again, that is the thing that pisses me off the most about that game; way more than the OL play.

The other thing that stood out was Lattimore's seemingly inability to cover Thielen. Jackrabbit neutralized Diggs almost entirely, but Thielen was working Lattimore all game.

Payton had some real head scratchers in his time here but that 2018 WC game was the top for me. Even above the failed double reverse against the Bucs in 07.

I'd forgotten about that but still maintain even with Peat we could have run it straight down their throats with LM and AK......Taysom was destroying that small defensive middle....

I’m delusional.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom