Vincent Jackson! (1 Viewer)

It's a sad deal. Apparently every football player has CTE. I guess there are levels to it. The worst part is that there is no solution. They can work on helmet technology but that can only go so far. There is no cure for bigger, faster, stronger.

ive said the the death knell for football as we know it will be when they can test for CTE on live people and find out that 75+% of NFL players have it to some degree, 40% of college players and 15% of high school players

This article talks about a blind study done on both athletes of various sports and non athletes in the general population. They determined that 6% had CTE compared to the more than 80% in pro football players.

I’m no scientist, but that seems pretty damning for football.
There seems to be a scientist for anything and everything nowadays....
If you were in fact a scientist, I'd lean toward you saying bs and creating your own study tbh đź‘Ť

I’ve said the same thing for years. With the money at the college and NFL levels you would think they would have established a lab working on development of a helmet or helmet system that protects the players better.
No technology can stop the brain from moving inside the skull when the hit occurs and forces the head to completely change directions in a matter of milliseconds. It’s impossible to prevent unless you can improve upon the fluid separating the brain from the skull.

not sure Vincent Jackson followed by an exclamation point is the appropriate thread title, makes it sound like you're excited
Literally the last person on this forum who needs to worry about someone else’s thread-starting etiquette.

Thanks OP. I started "banging heads" at 9/4th grade. I was always the 3rd-5th biggest on any team that I played on. I wasn't fleet of foot, but when I put this big head inside a helment, I used my head as a weapon. Probably 60-70 percent of my tackles were used with my head. I LOVED the contact! If someone gave me a snot bubble, I always said "Good one, but you best be looking over your shoulder for me!" Our "Eye Openers" in high school were brutal, but you weren't going to be a "sissy" if you got your bell rung. I am BLESSED that I haven't felt any effects "yet". I was NEVER scared of anyone on the football field. As an educator of young children for 31 years, I tell my parents directly to their face, "If your son/daughter is afraid for one second on the football field, they need to find another sport." I do have neck, back, and knee issues. I tore my calf miuscle right before halftime of a game, and played the entire second half. "No pain, no gain, and blood makes the grass grow", was the montra that my coaches taught us. Prayers for the Vincent Jackson family.

Going back to the days of the Gladiators and Rome.. All this time and nothing has changed.. IMO nothing ever will, only pleasing the stands, that's all that is going to ever matter, with all due repect to you, me and everyone else that tunes in to our champions come time to battle..

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, i've played/lived the game, but damn, something has got to be done.. Not a day goes by where i'm not thankful that my eggs are still in their shell..

NW.
Oh there's no doubt. These guys are modern day gladiators. They know the risks involved and they still go out there and play the game for their livelihood and our entertainment.

I wonder if years from now people will look back on football and wonder how such a barbaric spectacle was ever allowed to take place? Kind of how we look at the gladiators of Rome. Obviously nobody is being killed for sport or fed to tigers but it's still a brutal game when you think about it. Instead of getting killed in the arena some of these men suffer a worse fate.

Maybe they should play without helmets, or bust out those old school leather helmets
I think they need a clownish air bag that goes off when the hitter hits too hard.

The hitter then has to sit out the rest of the game...

And gets a fine.

And.. if he does it for any 3 games, he's suspended without pay for a few games...

Maybe they should play without helmets, or bust out those old school leather helmets
Back then they still died young but it was only because they all smoked like chimneys before, during, and after games.

I've been saying for a while now that helmet technology hasn't caught up to bigger, stronger, faster players.
Where did I imply that?

My point is that although helmet technology has gotten better…so have the athletes who put on those helmets.

It hasn’t quite leveled out and numbers prove it.

Where did I imply that?

My point is that although helmet technology has gotten better…so have the athletes who put on those helmets.

It hasn’t quite leveled out and numbers prove it.
You didn't, I was just implying that players would play less violently and with better form if their equipment didn't have such hard outer shells that can be used as weapons.

No technology can stop the brain from moving inside the skull when the hit occurs and forces the head to completely change directions in a matter of milliseconds. It’s impossible to prevent unless you can improve upon the fluid separating the brain from the skull.
I definitely can’t do that.

Say it with me. HGH AND STEROIDS. players like earl campbell. Bo Jackson. OJ. Jim brown etc were rare. Guys who were linebackers in the 90’s are defensive ends today. Guys are unnaturally fast and strong which causes more CTE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom