What if Drew Brees has a change of heart and wants to return for 2021? Do we risk losing Jameis like we did with Teddy or do we honor Drew's wish (1 Viewer)

What change of heart does he have to have? He signed a contract that includes a full salary for 2021. If he signed it not intending to play 2021, it was a bad contract giving us a lot of dead money in future years for just this season.

The hypothetical question was, in 2021, which of Teddy Bridgewater or Drew Brees is or would be better placed to lead the Saints to a Super Bowl?

Teddy won five games from five starts last year. It was literally the best result he could have achieved for the team over that period.

Meanwhile, 2020 was slated as a development year for Carolina, who were projected by all and sundry to finish last in the NFC South. They started 0-2 and lost CMC, who is easily their best player and the #1 RB in the entire league. In McCaffrey's absence, Teddy has gone on to lead the team to three straight wins with a ragtag cast of players on offense. Robby Anderson, DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Mike Davis, Chris Manhertz: not a Pro Bowl selection amongst the five of them. Compare that to Sanders, Kamara, Cook, Murray, Hill. Elite talent by comparison.

That's my measuring stick. And I stand by my point.

Look dude... I think Teddy is solid and I’m a fan of his, but he was the quintessential game-manager during that 5 game win streak, and the Saints were playing really good as a team during that stretch. Outside of the Tampa game, and maybe the Chicago game, Teddy was merely adequate.. he made a few nice throws and didn’t really turn the ball over... he had a WR setting an all-time record, Kamara (even if he was hobbled), and top 5 OL, and the defense was making clutch plays.
Saints scored a defensive TD, and got a Punt Return TD @ Seattle and Kamara played out of his mind... that wasn’t cuz of Teddy.
Saints barely beat Dallas, and Teddy nearly blew that game... close close game with Jax, where Teddy hit Cook with a game winning TD, but was merely adequate there..

Look dude... I think Teddy is solid and I’m a fan of his, but he was the quintessential game-manager during that 5 game win streak, and the Saints were playing really good as a team during that stretch. Outside of the Tampa game, and maybe the Chicago game, Teddy was merely adequate.. he made a few nice throws and didn’t really turn the ball over... he had a WR setting an all-time record, Kamara (even if he was hobbled), and top 5 OL, and the defense was making clutch plays.
Saints scored a defensive TD, and got a Punt Return TD @ Seattle and Kamara played out of his mind... that wasn’t cuz of Teddy.
Saints barely beat Dallas, and Teddy nearly blew that game... close close game with Jax, where Teddy hit Cook with a game winning TD, but was merely adequate there..

Sure, I'm not trying to prosecute the case that Bridgewater is an All-Pro level player. He isn't. But what is Drew in 2020 if not a "quintessential game-manager"? What are our expectations of Drew if not to make "a few nice throws" and not turn the ball over? For mine, there's probably not a whole lot of difference, save for that teams need to respect Teddy's ability to throw a deep ball even if he is generally conservative with the ball. We don't need a Jackson or Mahomes level talent to win a SB this year, just someone that can reliably put the ball in the hands of any one of our supremely talented players on offense while limiting turnovers in the process.

Moreover, Payton runs a complex offense. In my view Bridgewater was growing into it, and they were beginning to open up the playbook as the season unfolded, but with Bridgewater under centre, CGM didn't drop off, Cook got more involved, and we saw Murray used correctly for the only consistent period in New Orleans since his arrival. All you want from a back-up QB is for him to come in, perform as a steady hand and steer the ship. Teddy did that, but he did more too. He was a genuinely useful contributor during that period.

At the end of the day, we went 5-0 with Bridgewater starting and 8-4 with Drew starting. Stretching back to his time in Louisville, Teddy has always been a winner. That counts for something too.

As much as the fans, staff and the city has this blind loyalty to Drew, I don't know how anybody could say it's not a legitimate question as to whether Teddy would give us a better shot at winning a ring this year. I'm not saying its definitive - just that there's a genuine argument to be had.

I am advocating for no-one. I wrote that he ignites the team. Yes, you may not like it but the team has Taysom on high esteem. That certainly doesn't make him the quarterback of the future, but it helps.

And Jameis being a turnover machine? Numbers don't lie.
True...numbers don't lie. Up until last season, until coming in the league, Big Ben had around the same amount of turnovers (and more ints) than Jameis but no one batted an eye, because being part of a winning org will help with that. Sitting back objectively, we've had the perfect situation for a QB of the future. First, we get Teddy on a trade and if Drew wouldn't have come back, then it would have been a seamless transition. Brees came back and Teddy got the starting role that he deserved and look at what he is doing in a Saints inspired offense. Then this year, Jameis falls into our lap for a bag a Golden Flakes and a Grapico. Now, we look at the Bucs this season and every excuse that the media is making for Brady was worse last year (their run game was terrible, their O-line was worse, and their defense didn't come together until around the middle of the season.) Sometimes, we ignore the scheme and only focus on what high level stats tell us. I have nothing against Taysom but dang, this offensive scheme with Jameis would be deadly. Just my opinion though

Sure, I'm not trying to prosecute the case that Bridgewater is an All-Pro level player. He isn't. But what is Drew in 2020 if not a "quintessential game-manager"? What are our expectations of Drew if not to make "a few nice throws" and not turn the ball over? For mine, there's probably not a whole lot of difference, save for that teams need to respect Teddy's ability to throw a deep ball even if he is generally conservative with the ball. We don't need a Jackson or Mahomes level talent to win a SB this year, just someone that can reliably put the ball in the hands of any one of our supremely talented players on offense while limiting turnovers in the process.

Moreover, Payton runs a complex offense. In my view Bridgewater was growing into it, and they were beginning to open up the playbook as the season unfolded, but with Bridgewater under centre, CGM didn't drop off, Cook got more involved, and we saw Murray used correctly for the only consistent period in New Orleans since his arrival. All you want from a back-up QB is for him to come in, perform as a steady hand and steer the ship. Teddy did that, but he did more too. He was a genuinely useful contributor during that period.

At the end of the day, we went 5-0 with Bridgewater starting and 8-4 with Drew starting. Stretching back to his time in Louisville, Teddy has always been a winner. That counts for something too.

As much as the fans, staff and the city has this blind loyalty to Drew, I don't know how anybody could say it's not a legitimate question as to whether Teddy would give us a better shot at winning a ring this year. I'm not saying its definitive - just that there's a genuine argument to be had.
The thing with Teddy is he didn't get this whole game manager BS until he got drafted to the Vikings. Anyone looking at him play in college would know he was anything but. He can't carry a team on his back but that's all he did in college. He played a pro-style offense that is predicated on timing and intermediate throws. Be people get so enamoured by big throws that we forget that team play is what wins game. We can talk about a QB putting a team on his back but if you are looking at Mahomes and Jackson....ehh. Amazing atheletes but both were drafted into the perfect situations. People think that the dynamic of the team changed when Mahomes became QB but Sutton's defense let the Chiefs down more than Alex Smith ever did and he joined one of the most stacked offenses in the NFL. Funny enough, Sutton is no longer DC and they win a Super Bown (even though I still think Damien Williams is the reason they won) and Baltimore's offense was built entirely around Jackson.

I believe the narrative around Teddy would be a lot different if he went anywhere other than the Vikings (or Jets..lol)

I fear in the end he will do anything to play a season longer than Brady just to protect his stats and records

its all he has against Brady and the Goat talk... eventually he will lose the TD record already this season

There is a good question here and a decision that has to be made. I guess you just have to identify which component makes Winston so rare, is it the ability to throw almost two interceptions a game or the fact that he agrees with Adolph Hitler quotes?

If Winston leaves, how do you recreate that combination???? Do you take a Nazi and teach him how to badly throw a football, or do you take a terrible quarterback and get him to approve of everything in Mein Kampf?

There is a good question here and a decision that has to be made. I guess you just have to identify which component makes Winston so rare, is it the ability to throw almost two interceptions a game or the fact that he agrees with Adolph Hitler quotes?

If Winston leaves, how do you recreate that combination???? Do you take a Nazi and teach him how to badly throw a football, or do you take a terrible quarterback and get him to approve of everything in Mein Kampf?
When did Jameis agree with a Hitler quote? And if we are questioning decision making, his interceptions resembles Drew's during his time in San Diego. Sometime, a change of scenery and scheme can make all the difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom