Music What Song/Album Are You Listening To? (3 Viewers)

Kacey Musgraves new album is really good. A “country” album (made by a lesbian who confesseses to psychedelic use and writes all of her own songs) that is sonically as groundbreaking as the artist who made it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zIYqhhUNanA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y3l-ovZQY4M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SrzmDM3rRr8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was listening to Amazon music and one of her songs popped up (Velvet Elvis) and I liked it so I've listened to the whole album and I'm really digging it. The 10 minutes I caught of the Grammy's last night I saw her win for Country Album of the year. If this qualifies as a "country" album then the Grammy's owe Jenny Lewis a few over the past few years.

I was listening to Amazon music and one of her songs popped up (Velvet Elvis) and I liked it so I've listened to the whole album and I'm really digging it. The 10 minutes I caught of the Grammy's last night I saw her win for Country Album of the year. If this qualifies as a "country" album then the Grammy's owe Jenny Lewis a few over the past few years.

Yeah - it’s really well done. But sure, there are some genre pushing elements. Congrats to Kacey on her Grammys.

I should also correct my post from last April. I don’t think Kacey is actually gay, just a very gay-friendly artist.

Btw, Jenny Lewis has a new record coming out. The contributors list is pretty awesome

I should also correct my post from last April. I don’t think Kacey is actually gay, just a very gay-friendly artist.

Btw, Jenny Lewis has a new record coming out. The contributors list is pretty awesome

Any confusion about Kacey might have been because her former boyfriend's name was Misa. Her husband (since late 2017) has the slightly less gender-ambiguous name of Ruston.

Meanwhile Jenny's new single is already getting frequent airplay on the local alternative station here in L.A. Her Austin City Limits appearance in support of Voyager was one of the two or three best performances I've seen on ACL in years--so I have very high hopes for the new album.

I'm listening to the Bohemian Rhapsody soundtrack. It's got all the songs in full from all the different concerts shown in the movie. It's also only $6.99 on iTunes. If you love Queen, you probably already have the many different Greatest Hits and Classic Queen albums, but this is a cool compilation that's different than all of those.

Any confusion about Kacey might have been because her former boyfriend's name was Misa. Her husband (since late 2017) has the slightly less gender-ambiguous name of Ruston.

Meanwhile Jenny's new single is already getting frequent airplay on the local alternative station here in L.A. Her Austin City Limits appearance in support of Voyager was one of the two or three best performances I've seen on ACL in years--so I have very high hopes for the new album.

Sticking with the topic of highly talented women artists, I'm quite taken with Phoebe Bridgers lately. The album track of this song is more intense (electric guitars, banjo, full synth), but the stripped down version on this live cut is great. To be sure, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker (on keys and vocals) are talented but the lead vocals and just the songwriting itself on this song by Phoebe Bridgers are piercing - she's gifted. It's very well written and the three part vocals are killer.

Ever heard of Fanny, all girl band from the early 70's? I'd never heard of them until a few days ago, but those chicks knew how to throw down and rock. Skip ahead to 6:15 for a cool cover of Hey Bulldog...

Sticking with the topic of highly talented women artists, I'm quite taken with Phoebe Bridgers lately. The album track of this song is more intense (electric guitars, banjo, full synth), but the stripped down version on this live cut is great. To be sure, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker (on keys and vocals) are talented but the lead vocals and just the songwriting itself on this song by Phoebe Bridgers are piercing - she's gifted. It's very well written and the three part vocals are killer.

That's funny she just popped up on my Amazon recommended list earlier this week and I listened to her whole "Stranger in the Alps" album and I think it's great. One of my favorites happens to be one she didn't write called "You missed my heart" (I must have listened to that one and the original version by Sun Kil Moon about 60 times in the last 3 days).

When I looked up more about her it seems like she was one of the many women victimized by Ryan Adams, which puts some of those songs on her album in a different light.

That's funny she just popped up on my Amazon recommended list earlier this week and I listened to her whole "Stranger in the Alps" album and I think it's great. One of my favorites happens to be one she didn't write called "You missed my heart" (I must have listened to that one and the original version by Sun Kil Moon about 60 times in the last 3 days).

When I looked up more about her it seems like she was one of the many women victimized by Ryan Adams, which puts some of those songs on her album in a different light.

Ha, I wasn't sure if anyone would be familiar - I have been listening to Stranger in the Alps today as a matter of fact! She has a captivating style, it's melancholy but there's a warmth, intimacy, and intensity to it that puts its teeth in you.

I have been a big Ryan Adams fan for years now. I love playing his songs on guitar and he's easily one of my top 2 or 3 most listened to over the past 5 to 10 years. When I read the NYT piece, I was very disappointed (though not terribly surprised to be honest) and I wasn't sure how to process my feelings about the whole thing. So a few weeks later, now, I also was putting it together that the boygenius album I was enjoying was Phoebe Bridgers - the 20-year old artist (now 24) from the piece. It's very weird how having a new interest in her as an artist (she's so talented) brought the Ryan Adams thing into new perspective for me. To be sure, it's messed up for him to do that to anyone, much less a 20 year old (or even younger) and her being talented isn't what makes it "worse" in any way. But now having a sense of who this victim was, this artist with such a bright future and who I now appreciate, it makes me more angry at Ryan over it all. He's forked up man. For the time being, I don't want anything to do with him.

Did you see her recent statement about it? She's amazingly emotionally mature for a 24 year old. https://pitchfork.com/news/phoebe-bridgers-issues-new-statement-on-ryan-adams-abuse-allegations/

Ever heard of Fanny, all girl band from the early 70's? I'd never heard of them until a few days ago, but those chicks knew how to throw down and rock. Skip ahead to 6:15 for a cool cover of Hey Bulldog...

That's awesome.

From wiki:

They were extraordinary: they wrote everything, they played like maternal fornicators, they were just colossal and wonderful, and nobody's ever mentioned them.
— David Bowie

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom