Where there's smoke there's fire. (1 Viewer)

IMO, you don't trade into the top 5 of the draft from #18 to take a guy that might just end up being a high end #2. The cost is so high that you only do that if you are convinced he is going to be your franchise QB.

If you want a guy with upside that you aren't sure will be a starter but you think he can be a high end #2 you take him in the 2nd or 3rd round IMO.

Everyone has year 1 projection. By all accounts Pickett is the most ready to start Day #1. Meaning he can come in and offer the same level (or better)of competition that Taysom provided Winston last year. If he potentially surpasses Winston year 1 great but if you can help it, bringing a long a rookie QB slowly is more ideal.

Why on earth do we need a 1B...?

I don't think we need to overthink this. We were 5-2 with Jameis with an injury riddled team and no help at receiver. While he does need to improve in areas, the team likely feels that they'll still be very competitive without him reaching his ceiling.

Sure you're not overthinking it? If the team is less injured and your #1 WR is coming back then that makes injuries and the WR position maybe not as high of a must as we've been making it out to be. Maybe QB has always been must #1 even with Jameis in your back pocket and resigning him hasn't changed that.
They could just as easy be looking to restock with young talent, in a draft that is rich in the two positions that we need the most.

If Jameis out, great. If not, we'll still have ways to address QB in future drafts that will have far more talented prospects than the ones presented to us in 2022.
I think restocking talent is option 1B. Mainly because it involves a cloud of players you're comfortable with but still...variety. If you move up there's no variety you're targeting a specific player. Something like that would always be 1A and the former where I'm a passive participant 1B

Was it the qbs or the situations they were in the coaching staff the play calling all those are top guys
From what everyone is saying Willis and these qbs are scraps 2 different situations and that also proves scouting can be trash at times
Seriously? And you told me to watch more football? Do you even know who those guys were? :covri:

Seriously? And you told me to watch more football? Do you even know who those guys were?
I don’t remember the chargers winning a championship once Ryan leaf left my point is it’s not always the player fault that they don’t succeed sometimes you have circumstances that cuts your potential I’m sure if we drafted Winston instead of Tampa bay Winston isn’t looked at the way he is now

So what you are saying is where there is smoke there is fire. thanks.

No. I'm saying that I don't see any smoke. But, I could just be looking in the wrong direction. I don't think I am because it's a clear day and I looked all 360 degrees around me. It's possible I just missed it, but I don't think I did.

Yeah, if you don't think Winston is only a solid stop gap QB and your plan is to move up in the draft by any means necessary to get the guy you want, you don't give Winston a 2 year contract with 21 million guaranteed. You do what Atlanta did and sign Mariota or someone like him to a cheap contract. Hell, you might just sign Dalton as your bridge QB to the rookie. Makes no sense to tie up $21 million in Winston for 2 years if they plan is to go all in for a rookie QB in the top 10 of the draft.

That being said, I could see them taking Picket or Willis at #16 if one of them somehow falls to that spot.
i agree with you. i don't think we are going to trade up to get one of these qb's. that would essentially cost us 3 no 1's. i think if they choose a qb it will be at 16 and then grab a wr like Olave also.

Sure you're not overthinking it? If the team is less injured and your #1 WR is coming back then that makes injuries and the WR position maybe not as high of a must as we've been making it out to be. Maybe QB has always been must #1 even with Jameis in your back pocket and resigning him hasn't changed that.

I think restocking talent is option 1B. Mainly because it involves a cloud of players you're comfortable with but still...variety. If you move up there's no variety you're targeting a specific player. Something like that would always be 1A and the former where I'm a passive participant 1B

Even when Mike was healthy we've fielded WRs outside of him that couldn't be relied on. Loomis straight up said that upgrading at WR was a must.

Look I get your logic, if you can land a franchise QB even with Jameis under contract, you do it.

I'm just saying neither of these guys are worth the capital it'll take to get them. I'd be happy with either at 16. But the cost of getting ahead of the Panthers? No thanks. Not giving up that kinda haul. Neither of these guys would have cracked the top 5 QBs in last years draft

No. I'm saying that I don't see any smoke. But, I could just be looking in the wrong direction. I don't think I am because it's a clear day and I looked all 360 degrees around me. It's possible I just missed it, but I don't think I did.

knock knock
who dere
fire department
fire department who
fire department sir you dang house is on fire bro.

Jameis for all intents and purposes is QB #1 but all signs are pointing to Dennis Allen wanting to have his guy at QB. New Orleans signed Andy Dalton six days ago on March 30 and Bortles supposedly requested his release after the signing. Saints didn't grant it until after we secured the picks, suggesting we must feel good about our chances to replace him on the roster.

By looks the Saints will have a competion for the #2 Job between Dalton and the Rookie, with Ian Book maybe making it interesting. Neither Book or Dalton are capable of pushing Winston for the #1 spot, but the right rookie QB could.

By and large the one we've been most tied to is Kenny Pickett. We've scouted him at senior bowl, combine, and pro-day, and he along with Malik Willis has been either 1a and 1b in this class. If you like upside then Willis is your guy, if you like a higher floor it's Pickett. Regardless of your choice, a well known football proverb is you're either a team that has a good QB or you're one that's looking. If you're the Saints why not get a head start now? Atlanta and Carolina are in the same market and Tampa's maybe a year or two behind. If you hit on the QB you have a leg up in your division for the forseeable future and by chance you've acquired two picks that give you enough ammo to jump in front of Carolina and Atlanta. In fact it's poetic that these were the other two teams in the hunt for Watson.

Best case scenario is Jameis holds him off all year(that tough conversation with Jameis letting him know they valued him as a Bridge QB) and the rookie gets to sit and learn. Jameis becomes ideal trade bait and we get a top 50-75 pick for him along with whatever the Sean Payton trade fetches. Another exciting scenario is that the rookie is so good he forces them to bench Winston.

Still, early in this process everyone agreed that Dennis Allens tenure with the Saints rested on his ability to find a QB. Not a WR, not an OT, nor a Safety, but a QB.

Look's like he's identified one...again

I don't think that his tenure rests on finding a QB that's just asking too much heck even Payton failed multiple times as far as that goes so it would unrealistic to expect Allen to just spend his time solely searching for a QB.

He needs to win and I think to do that you need to fix the wr and tackle spots and taking a risk on taking a QB just sets you back at least 2 years. If Allen tanks for 2 years because he didn't fix positions that need immediate solutions he will be ran out of town for passing up the chance to get two players that could immediately help and instead drafted a QB that is sitting on the sidelines while we are scoring 10 points a game.

OP's stance is where there is smoke, there is fire. You are arguing there is smoke, just a matter of how much littleness.

Only you are thinking the argument over a volume amount of smoke is relevant or not.
Due to prospect visits and combine interviews, there's always at least a "little smoke" no matter the position.

I don't disagree but trying to wait until everything is perfect and built has it's pitfalls too. You don't get very many shots at good or potentially good QB's. Watson was the 1st shot and we boinked it, perhaps they see another opportunity and are aiming for it. A rookie QB contract for the next 5 years almost seals the deal you can keep your defense dominant.
I guess my point is: You do have to look at the next few years with the cap, dead cap money, aging players, a glaring hole at LT and at WR. If you take a QB now, I just don't think the plan is as solid. I wouldn't be mad if they draft Corral, Pickett at 15 or 19, but I REALLY feel we have to have that LT, at this point.

I don’t remember the chargers winning a championship once Ryan leaf left my point is it’s not always the player fault that they don’t succeed sometimes you have circumstances that cuts your potential I’m sure if we drafted Winston instead of Tampa bay Winston isn’t looked at the way he is now
I don't think that his tenure rests on finding a QB that's just asking too much heck even Payton failed multiple times as far as that goes so it would unrealistic to expect Allen to just spend his time solely searching for a QB.

He needs to win and I think to do that you need to fix the wr and tackle spots and taking a risk on taking a QB just sets you back at least 2 years. If Allen tanks for 2 years because he didn't fix positions that need immediate solutions he will be ran out of town for passing up the chance to get two players that could immediately help and instead drafted a QB that is sitting on the sidelines while we are scoring 10 points a game.
Sean never looked chase Daniels is the closest he got to looking he fell tooooo in love with drew to go and get mahomes to get Lamar he allowed guys to pass because of his beliefs of him and drew re creating that magic

Sean never looked chase Daniels is the closest he got to looking he fell tooooo in love with drew to go and get mahomes to get Lamar he allowed guys to pass because of his beliefs of him and drew re creating that magic
I wouldn’t consider it tanking we was 5-2 with him had a bad stretch with Trevor and that was on the wr more than him well we get a fiery MT back and can draft atleast 1 wr in the top 50 armstead is hurt every year we still win every year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom