Where there's smoke there's fire. (3 Viewers)

You get your Left Tackle (for years to come) at 15 or 19. Paired with Ram, you're set at that the corner stones. Then you get a WR to pair with MT. In the 2nd round, I'm going WR again. Get depth with remaining picks and free agency. Look for a QB next year or the next. I want to buy my land before I build my home.

I don't disagree but trying to wait until everything is perfect and built has it's pitfalls too. You don't get very many shots at good or potentially good QB's. Watson was the 1st shot and we boinked it, perhaps they see another opportunity and are aiming for it. A rookie QB contract for the next 5 years almost seals the deal you can keep your defense dominant.

GM's don't come out and write it with Chalk on the outside of the building "WE ARE QB HUNTING YOU GUYS". The plays of signing Dalton and bandaids of Winston helps hide your draft hands. You're looking for evidence that is deliberately kept to a minimum.
Winston is not a bandaid. Why are some of you wanting him to be?

GM's don't come out and write it with Chalk on the outside of the building "WE ARE QB HUNTING YOU GUYS". The plays of signing Dalton and bandaids of Winston helps hide your draft hands. You're looking for evidence that is deliberately kept to a minimum.
So is your argument that there’s a ton of smoke or that there’s very little smoke, but there’s a secret reason why? Seems to me you’re coming at this from contradictory angles.

For now everyone is right. I think all plays are on the table, Saints can move up if they want, they can sit back and add players with 5th year options.
It’s a gravy we got options and I think Winston will do real good I just don’t know we ain’t got not silly guys like him ig besides cam everybody dawgs latt ceedy kamara mike demario I think our qb needs intensity and fire

Lol! I didn't say Watson didn't run an occasional rpo. Most mobile QBs do. But he's not an rpo QB (see Lamar Jackson) as you stated. And if you think he is, YOU need to watch more football. I'll repeat - Watson is a passing QB who is mobile.

Watson is not an rpo QB (which is different from a mobile QB). You do understand the concept of an rpo based offense, right?
Totally agree. Watson is like Russell in that regard— a pocket QB who can run. But neither of them think run first. Their speed and agility can get them out of sticky situations and they may have one or two plays a game designed for them to run. But they are not by any means running QB’s who rely PRIMARILY on their legs. Jameis’s speed is on the lines with Mahomes. Neither man is particularly fast, but they are both quick enough to pick up 15-20 in man coverage, due to vacated pockets on the field of play. If Jameis is healed, he is plenty mobile enough to move the sticks with his feet.

edited for erroneous grammatical errors. Autocorrect beat me down throughout this post. I promise I’m not illiterate. 🤣😂

Last edited:
Yeah, but if your plan is to move up for a rookie QB in the top 5 why give that money to Winston when you can sign a vet like Dalton or Mariota for much less money and use that money to sign Armstead to protect your rookie QB and/or to get your rookie QB a reliable WR opposite of Michael Thomas?

I just think everything about the way they are going about this offseason points to building the team to the point that either Winston can succeed with this team, or your team is ready for a rookie QB to come in next year or for a lower round pick to have a couple years to develop. But, sure, I could be wrong.

Because the best case scenario is Winston holding the rookie on the sideline for a year and playing out of the cap you've set for him. The money given to Winston is still low end starter money. Andy Dalton or Bortes aren't close to that and now that Taysom is no longer an option there's nothign eles there if Winston goes down. You don't have a 1B on the roster anymore...gotta go get one.

I think it's just as likely that Allen sees a defense that is built to win now and an offense that is missing some key pieces. Fill those this season with rookies ready to start and this team can catapult into a serious NFC contender.

Very likely they can fill LT and WR in round 1 and still come away with a viable developmental QB in rounds 2 or 3 without much drop-off.

If Allen is positioning to make a move up for a first round QB, Pickett is widely considered the most ready. With the likely capital it will take to move ahead of other QB needy teams, going to lose a lot of value in the sort term as well as the opportunity costs of getting better at OL and WR with 1st round talent. Not saying it can't or won't work, but it doesn't look as favorable as other options, to me.

Look at it from this way. Last year the Saints brass felt most comfortable w/ having Taysom compete with Winston for 1A. Well even though Jameis won he only played 6 games. There isn't enough proof there that he shouldn't compete again if you can help it. Now that you've moved Taysom to TE full time you need another 1B to compete with Winston or be a high end #2.

Last edited:
Yeah, but if your plan is to move up for a rookie QB in the top 5 why give that money to Winston when you can sign a vet like Dalton or Mariota for much less money and use that money to sign Armstead to protect your rookie QB and/or to get your rookie QB a reliable WR opposite of Michael Thomas?

I just think everything about the way they are going about this offseason points to building the team to the point that either Winston can succeed with this team, or your team is ready for a rookie QB to come in next year or for a lower round pick to have a couple years to develop. But, sure, I could be wrong.

It would also contradict what Loomis said about it being too expensive for the Saints to go up and get a QB this year and his statement that it's not realistic to think the Saints can get a starting QB in the draft this year. Maybe Loomis is just blowing smoke, but I don't think so.
Who said that that was the plan, and who said that the plan is even to draft a QB? All speculation at this point.

You have coaches to make players better and put them in positions to win projections are trash russel Wilson Tom Brady James Harrison it’s about the will to be great all these players talented or wouldn’t be in draft conversation
Oh? What about Leaf? Russell? Akili Smith? Manziel? Schlichter? Walsh? George? Marinovich? Klingler? Shuller?

I could go on and on and on about first round QBs that were busts. Just because a QB is in draft conversation doesn't mean that they are actually talented enough to be in those conversations. Mistakes at the QB position have been made by the truckload. See Cleveland Browns.

Football history 101.

$21 million for 2 years is a really expensive band-aid.

My ideal outcome for 2022 is a Saints super bowl. My runner-up would be a cowboys super bowl and a McCarthy extension.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Who said that that was the plan, and who said that the plan is even to draft a QB? All speculation at this point.

Obviously it's speculation. But, to answer your question, Elias suggested that the plan is to move up into the top 5 to take a rookie QB. I mean that's why this thread exists and that's what I was replying to.

I think it's just as likely that Allen sees a defense that is built to win now and an offense that is missing some key pieces. Fill those this season with rookies ready to start and this team can catapult into a serious NFC contender.

Very likely they can fill LT and WR in round 1 and still come away with a viable developmental QB in rounds 2 or 3 without much drop-off.

If Allen is positioning to make a move up for a first round QB, Pickett is widely considered the most ready. With the likely capital it will take to move ahead of other QB needy teams, going to lose a lot of value in the sort term as well as the opportunity costs of getting better at OL and WR with 1st round talent. Not saying it can't or won't work, but it doesn't look as favorable as other options, to me.
Why even draft a QB right now? Use logic. Most glaring need on offense is LT and WR2. Fill those now while the talent is there.

Oh? What about Leaf? Russell? Akili Smith? Manziel? Schlichter? Walsh? George? Marinovich? Klingler? Shuller?

I could go on and on and on about first round QBs that were busts. Just because a QB is in draft conversation doesn't mean that they are actually talented enough to be in those conversations.

Football history 101.
Was it the qbs or the situations they were in the coaching staff the play calling all those are top guys
From what everyone is saying Willis and these qbs are scraps 2 different situations and that also proves scouting can be trash at times

Obviously it's speculation. But, to answer your question, Elias suggested that the plan is to move up into the top 5 to take a rookie QB. I mean that's why this thread exists and that's what I was replying to.
How does Elias know that that’s the plan?

Has anyone considered this may be financial. You can probably get two offensive starters at 16/19 for relatively low costs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom