Where there's smoke there's fire. (4 Viewers)

It says our front office is a mess making decisions on the fly with no real plan in place. Otherwise, you don't guarantee Winston $21 million for the next 2 years when nothing has changed about him or the QBs in the draft since you signed him to that contract 3 weeks ago.

And I don't think our front office is a mess with no plan so I think the whole thing says they think Winston is a solid QB with some upside but they aren't convinced he is the answer long term but they aren't sure there is a long term answer at QB in this draft so they will likely take a shot at a QB in this draft only if Picket or Willis falls to #16 or if another QB they like falls to round #2 or #3.
Has nothing to do with whether they think he is the future. Has to do with his performance over the next couple of years, especially coming off the injury. He was also only able to give them 7 games last season. They liked what they saw, but with the injury, it wasn’t enough to secure a longtime deal. Jameis knew this too and agreed to the short contract with guaranteed money. Jameis doesn’t have to learn a new system, and the Saints don’t have to train a new QB. Win-win for both sides.

Last edited:
There’s not a lot of smoke, to be honest. Like, almost none.
That's nonsense.

We were tied to the Watson drama till the very end.
Winston was a fall back.
His contract speaks to very little commitment and belief in him as a franchise QB moving forward.
Big Draft plays usually have the inner thinkings of positioning for a QB importance type move.

Well injuries happen everywhere Tom Brady leg Peyton neck Alex smith leg injuries bound to happen no matter what it’s part of the game drew ain’t get hurt running I bet if he could’ve he wouldn’t have gotten hurt though see it’s perception russel slide all the time kyler mainly too it’s about the mentals
There’s a difference between a QB who can scramble and a running QB.

I think he might take Willis if he falls to #16, but given his comments that it's took expensive to move up for a QB in this draft and his comment that getting a starting QB from this draft is not realistic for the Saints, I don't think he is willing to move into the top 5 or even top 10 to get either Willis or Pickett. Of course, I could be wrong.
We all could be wrong man ; I never seen loomis show his hand 🤷

Because they gave him a 2 year deal instead of a long term deal. Also because DA and Winston sat down and had a talk about what he needed to improve for them to commit to him as the long term QB of this team. I think they like him and think he's a solid starter, but they aren't sure he's going to be a QB that can lead a team to the Super Bowl. So, they are giving him two years to develop more and prove that he can do that.
Where did you read/hear about all of this?

That's nonsense.

Winston was a fall back.
His contract speaks to very little commitment and belief in him as a franchise QB moving forward.
Big Draft plays usually have the inner thinkings of positioning for a QB importance type move.
That’s not necessarily sow about Winston.

We all could be wrong man ; I never seen loomis show his hand 🤷

For now everyone is right. I think all plays are on the table, Saints can move up if they want, they can sit back and add players with 5th year options.

That's nonsense.

Winston was a fall back.
This is all conjecture. And unconvincing, at that.

Like I said. Very little smoke.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
You get your Left Tackle (for years to come) at 15 or 19. Paired with Ram, you're set at that the corner stones. Then you get a WR to pair with MT. In the 2nd round, I'm going WR again. Get depth with remaining picks and free agency. Look for a QB next year or the next. I want to buy my land before I build my home.

There’s a difference between a QB who can scramble and a running QB.
Willis can run knows he’s great at it doesn’t want too and if you say so there’s guys that can maneuver the pocket and guys who can hurt you with there legs Matt Ryan will on hurt you once in a game Patrick mahomes will for 5 first downs a game it’s a difference Lamar is in his own space for what he do but all the top qbs can get you a 15 yard run besides Tom and maybe arod but at his hype he can get you too

Like I said. Very little smoke.
GM's don't come out and write it with Chalk on the outside of the building "WE ARE QB HUNTING YOU GUYS". The plays of signing Dalton and bandaids of Winston helps hide your draft hands. You're looking for evidence that is deliberately kept to a minimum.

I think your premise on the guaranteed money is clouding your judgement a bit. The saints basically payed him 15mil for one year which is low level starter money. That's not as huge of an investment than you think. In fact it's such a small overall investment that it says you'd better have a succession plan ready by next year.

Yeah, but if your plan is to move up for a rookie QB in the top 5 why give that money to Winston when you can sign a vet like Dalton or Mariota for much less money and use that money to sign Armstead to protect your rookie QB and/or to get your rookie QB a reliable WR opposite of Michael Thomas?

I just think everything about the way they are going about this offseason points to building the team to the point that either Winston can succeed with this team, or your team is ready for a rookie QB to come in next year or for a lower round pick to have a couple years to develop. But, sure, I could be wrong.

It would also contradict what Loomis said about it being too expensive for the Saints to go up and get a QB this year and his statement that it's not realistic to think the Saints can get a starting QB in the draft this year. Maybe Loomis is just blowing smoke, but I don't think so.

I think it's just as likely that Allen sees a defense that is built to win now and an offense that is missing some key pieces. Fill those this season with rookies ready to start and this team can catapult into a serious NFC contender.

Very likely they can fill LT and WR in round 1 and still come away with a viable developmental QB in rounds 2 or 3 without much drop-off.

If Allen is positioning to make a move up for a first round QB, Pickett is widely considered the most ready. With the likely capital it will take to move ahead of other QB needy teams, going to lose a lot of value in the short term as well as the opportunity costs of not getting better at OL and WR with 1st round talent. Not saying it can't or won't work, but it doesn't look as favorable as other options, to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom